Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

You know, the Salvation Army Dumpster is a stop I try and make on my way out as well. You never know what you will find in there...

Dead serious, if you can, check the dumpster! Where else do you think they are they going to put that old crusty receiver that won't turn on because it has a bad fuse?

Now that you mention it, I dare say I've probably gotten near as much off the dump truck (ok, we don't actually have a dumpster here) as the actual store. Off the top of my head: Technics and Dual turntable, buncha silver face Pioneers, Maxell MX's, Paradigm sub, AMT 1B speakers...
It's enough to make one cringe at the thought of what's been missed!

Last edited:
Went to the opening of a Value Village (Savers) this evening and found a very heavy chunk of black metal. It is a Realistic STA-7. Very pretty when powered on. I also found a Bosch Jigsaw, a 90 degree drill, and a Ninja Pro System 1100 blender.

Here's a picture of the receiver to prove it actually happened.

View attachment 941024
I believe those have a special EQ switch for zminimus 7s.

It does. I just tried it with a couple of small Jensen bookshelves in that mode and it sounds very very nice. Plenty of power for those speakers.

Wouldn't let you buy it? Were they saying it wasn't priced right?

Nope, they were saying they can't sell hard drives on the floor, unless it's been confirmed they've been wiped. Fortunately, they believed me when I said, I'm the one that cut the tape holding the box closed, and that it's never been used. They took things out, and it did look like nothing inside was ever removed prior, so they let me buy it.

Funny, because this is the 3rd time I've bought hard drives from GW. Oh well, this thing's going to make a great flac streamer NAS.

Don't know if these are the BEST deal....picked them up off of Shop Goodwill. All in amazingly good condition...needed a quick dusting to play. The paper sleeves scare the hell out of me, surprised they lasted this long!
index.php

index.php

index.php
Sheeeiiitttt... You had me with America, Joe Walsh/James Gang, and Average White Band. When I looked down and saw Chaka Khan anchoring Rufus on the cover of Rufusized, I had to catch my breath. Assuming you haven't played it, when you do, turn the volume up to 11 on "Pack'd My Bags" for me, will ya?

Nope, they were saying they can't sell hard drives on the floor, unless it's been confirmed they've been wiped. Fortunately, they believed me when I said, I'm the one that cut the tape holding the box closed, and that it's never been used. They took things out, and it did look like nothing inside was ever removed prior, so they let me buy it.

Funny, because this is the 3rd time I've bought hard drives from GW. Oh well, this thing's going to make a great flac streamer NAS.

Wahhh?!?! That sounds like a BS excuse to try and get out of selling an under-priced item (because it sure as heck is under-priced, nice score)! The responsibility of wiping a hard drive goes to the original owner. Goodwill has never been and never will be a data shredding service.

Wahhh?!?! That sounds like a BS excuse to try and get out of selling an under-priced item (because it sure as heck is under-priced, nice score)! The responsibility of wiping a hard drive goes to the original owner. Goodwill has never been and never will be a data shredding service.
Our GW advertises that they are.

i bought a 2TB usb from the sally ann
it had been wiped
i ran a deep recovery on it just for fun
found a bunch of torrent movies,which have now all been overwritten by tunes :)

Wow, I wish our local savers at least took some steps in this direction, but they don't. I picked up a Core2Quad system from them, with everything still on it, that was donated by AN ORGANIZATION. I was probably one password crack away from all the information I wanted, and free access to a limited access account that had personal information on it too.

I straight formatted the machine and tried using it as a steambox, until I gave up when I found a superior AMD system that needed a drive, probably kept by the previous owner.

Not very responsible of the organization that donated it. Just goes to show, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Picked up a Technics RA-800 at an electronics recycle business today. Spent most of the afternoon cleaning it. Just need to replace a couple dial lights.View attachment 941720 View attachment 941721
Congrats on that nice find !:banana:

Technics silver faced receivers must have been very popular in the Chicago area ............
I've found three units in near new condition ranging from the SA 5270 to the SA 505 ............

I sure hope my luck continues ...........
Those old Technics units are very nice performers.

Last edited:
I started a D&S thread on this but then deleted it because I missed out on going back to get it, but I stupidly passed up a Technics SL-1700 yesterday at Goodwill for $80. I feel like a dork for talking myself out of it.

I started a D&S thread on this but then deleted it because I missed out on going back to get it, but I stupidly passed up a Technics SL-1700 yesterday at Goodwill for $80. I feel like a dork for talking myself out of it.

Don't feel too bad.
Ya can't get in trouble with SWMBO for not spending money.............................
..................unless you're a re-seller and SWMBO knows the Ebay re-sale prices for it. :naughty::whip:

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been there. I passed on a pair of Dual concentric Tannoy once because I didn't want to bring one more item into the house. I could have easily flipped them for $400 more than I would have paid.

What's done is done.

Don't feel too bad.
Ya can't get in trouble with SWMBO for not spending money.............................
..................unless you're a re-seller and SWMBO knows the Ebay re-sale prices for it. :naughty::whip:

Ebay sales prices are what steered me astray. There were plenty selling for $150 which i figured was the norm since this one didn't have a headshell or stacker spindle. But now I wondering if it isn't really worth twice that.

Can anybody put a fine point on what makes it better than the ones I currently have so I'll know what improvements are to be had? I currently have an MCS 6700 (which is basically a rebadged SL-1950), an SL-D303 (automatic), and an SL-5100 (manual quartz locked).

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been there. I passed on a pair of Dual concentric Tannoy once because I didn't want to bring one more item into the house. I could have easily flipped them for $400 more than I would have paid.

What's done is done.

I don't re-sell, so what I buy will sit around consuming valuable space if I make a mistake.

I've passed up a lot of stuff when I do not know enough about the product specs ..........
...............of course, with so many re-sellers bumping into each other in the stores these days...........:idea:
.............I don't need to worry about what I buy quite so much anymore......:rolleyes:;)

All I can suggest is that folks make a decision based on the best info you have at the time and be prepared to walk away from anything ya see if it doesn't seem worth the price.

If you are young enough, wait 10 to 20 years and a lot of very, very expensive audio gear ranging from monster stereos to 1/2 track R2R professional decks will be appearing at thrift stores.:angel:
:banana::banana::banana:
You'll be able to more than make up for any current loss in just a few years. :rolleyes:;)

Back
Top Bottom