Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just curious, do you guys buy cds if they were from the bmg music club? The other day there were around a dozen decent titles but all music club so I left disappointed. Im assuming that the sound quality wouldn't be as good. Kind of the opposite of the mofi releases..
It's much less important for CDs (as a rule, there are exceptions, such as a noteworthy FM Rumours issue that you can Google) than for records because with club records they were cut from a safety copy of the master tape, which of course is at least a generation removed. With CDs it is possible to send the club a bit perfect copy of the master.

At Fillmore East is great, my copy is only one CD though. Is yours some bonus tracks version?
When CDs first came out they were limited to 74 minutes. Later the tech was refined to where they could put 80 on a disc. There are lots of titles where the initial issue was two CDs but the reissue was one. There are even some where the first release was complete on two CDs but the reissue was truncated on one.

Fun little $5 buy today. Four are in shrink and all discs are VG+ or better.

IMG_20170922_143140050.jpg

Just curious, do you guys buy cds if they were from the bmg music club? The other day there were around a dozen decent titles but all music club so I left disappointed. Im assuming that the sound quality wouldn't be as good. Kind of the opposite of the mofi releases..

I agree with everyone else. Club CDs are pretty much exactly the same as the corresponding retail version since they are digital. Analog medium are the only place this matters.

I guess this is the best thread for this.
$1 CD's at the Annual Half Price Books Clearance Sale yesterday.

Amazing Rhythm Aces-Ride Again
Roy Ayers-Live at Ronnie Scott's (Dual Disc, sealed)
Various-Back to the Big Easy (DCC Compact Classics)
Buckwheat Zydeco-Menagerie: The Essential Zyedeco Collection
Chic-S.O.U.L.
The Crusaders-Royal Jam (Japan)
Spencer Dickinson-The Man Who Lives For Love (Jon Spencer, Luther & Cody Dickinson-sealed)
Joe Ely-Live at Liberty Lunch
Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Japan, 2 disc version)
Paul Jones-Pucker Up Buttercup
The Lovin' Spoonful-All the Best Of
Harvey Mandel-Shangrenade/Feel the Sound
John Mellencamp-Unh Huh (U.S. Atom version)
NRBQ-Live From the Mountain Stage
NRBQ-Stay With Me: The Best Of
Robert Palmer-Maybe It's Live (German)
Time Life Rhythm & Blues Series-1960
The Smithereens-Especially For You (Enigma Japan)
The Supremes-Love Child/Supremes A Go Go
Various-Top Gun Soundtrack
The Who-Who's Better, Who's Best

Made my usual SA stop on the way home. They were moving a couple of large couches out, so I had to detour between a row of dressers. Found a NOS 5U4GB sitting on top of one of them. 97 cents.

That's not a bad tube, but it's definitely used--you can see the scrape mark on the base.

I saw an M&K Volkswoofer sub on CL last week for $25. Turned out the surrounds disintegrated and the dust cap was missing but otherwise the cabinet is in great shape and the amp is working. Bought it anyways to give to a friend at work who I know is crazy for M&K gear. That good deed brought good karma. The next day, I found this for $10 at Goodwill.

IMG_0558.JPG
It needed some cleaning and deoxit. FM and AUX inputs work great. Have to try the rest, but very happy with it so far.

I picked up this 80s Velox Electronic Sonormatic coffee maker the other day and made my first coffee in it today. I had to throw out the first one as I put it together in the wrong order the first time so ended up with most of the grounds in my cup, It makes the most obnoxious noise imaginable when you use the Sonormatic feature. Thankfully you can turn that off by not turning the carafe to the position where it closes what must be a magnetic reed switch in the base. The Sonormatic is run by a 9 volt battery in the base. and I think is activated by a thermal switch after the water drains out of the main unit.

Velox Electronic Sonormatic by Buhduh, on Flickr

Found this (DIY?) face plate at the recyclers today. The meters caught my eye, then I flipped it over and saw the Bozak drivers. Had to have it at that point. The tech there gave it to me for free....nice guy.
Took it to the tech I use, and he DSCF5371.JPG DSCF5376.JPG tested the lights on the meters. Said I could run them with a 12V converter. The meters (needles) will run off a speaker output.

Went to the GW today and they had just wheeled out a cart of CDs, DVDs and records. The employee working there said I could look through the cart while he was stocking the shelves. I was happy with the records but there was some great CDs including boots and foreign pressed live shows. All were $2.00 each except the Floyd which was $3.00. The Lightning Rose is a 1985 private pressed rock LP from a band out of MA.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom