Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. Sethbramwell

Sethbramwell Active Member

In a strange way that's my favorite person to see at the thrift store. If they walk out in disgust and think that it's all garbage there is a better chance I will have a good find LOL

Bdbras84, Lazarus Long and markshan like this.
  2. gmann77

gmann77 Active Member

I understand the sentiment. The overwhelming majority of visits to the local thrifts turn up little of interest. I have better luck with vinyl than with gear, but even that's a relative rarity. How many Herb Alpert or Andy Williams records does a person need, anyway? :biggrin:
    The best advice is to keep digging. The odds are that you'll come up with something, sooner or later. Keep in mind that the Sansui score is the first of its kind for me, and I've been making the rounds for abut five years. All in good time, my friend.

RogerKulp likes this.
  3. Todd MacDona

Todd MacDona AK Subscriber Subscriber

I go to the thrifts pretty much every day on the way home from work. Usually walk out empty handed. Sometimes I get stuff for the kids or decorations for the house etc. I have gotten lots of "scores" too. One of the best was an lp by the Sonics. Found it after a group of kids went through the records and declared there was nothing any good.

RogerKulp likes this.
  4. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Well-Known Member

Location may have an effect on odds. I'm told Vegas is a transient city, people move in and out often. Not to mention people may be more disposable with gambling income. Quite a few times I've bought things on craigslist, and the seller was moving, and gave me other stuff for free.

When I was doing the long distance thing with my wife. I used to meet her in LA, NY, SF, one weekend a month. I've spent most of the day visiting as many local thrift shops as I could, and literally never found a single thing worth picking up.

Sethbramwell likes this.
  5. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

Guys, don't fall for the troll. Keep on posting up them scores. If you don't have a score then zip it.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  6. JamesBond007

JamesBond007 Member

Did you ever consider moving?;) just having fun but one day your going to walk in there like me and find something that will make your jaw just hit the floor j-look at my avatar

7. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

It seems to go in waves for me. I'll find some awesome deals over the course of a weekend or two and then it will peter out and I'll hit nothing for a while then the deals will come back. Just gotta keep looking and having fun.
    If it starts to feel like a job or you're getting anxiety about not finding anything worthwhile then this isn't a good hobby for you.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  8. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I really never get tired of the hunt. I have some like-minded friends and we go out during the week and look for treasures. It keeps me active, I get to socialize with other old farts and it gives my wife a break from me. :D I guess I'm like those surfers looking for the perfect wave. I know somewhere out there is a score of a lifetime waiting for me.

KDAC, Bdbras84, manu et deo and 5 others like this.
  9. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

Hey, c'mon -- I've almost completed my prized collection of Firestone Christmas records, thanks to thrift stores . . . ;)

RogerKulp, Bdbras84, zebra03 and 3 others like this.
  10. tyella

tyella AK Subscriber Subscriber

Reporting back on this Sansui 7070 I picked up a month or so ago. Replaced 14 fusible resistors, a fuse, and recovered the case with woodgrain vinyl film. She sings beautifully, and DC offset is stable and low. I'll recap her someday when work isn't so crazy. $10 from a weird middle of nowhere thrift (plus $20 in parts).

IMG_20171011_231117.jpg

Outta Ammo, mtlmn1971, orsen and 10 others like this.
  11. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I picked up a plasma ball at GW yesterday for $3.00. I'm psyched about it. I've been looking for one for my music room for quite awhile. I tried to take a picture but the flash washes out the colors so here's a photo from online.

[​IMG]

mtlmn1971, Man in Cave, KDAC and 7 others like this.
  12. JamesBond007

JamesBond007 Member

need 3 (Vol. 2-3-7) to complete mine Have all 7 saved to a thumb drive and burned a set for my mom and put said same on a reel for s- - - t and giggles, then on to the goodyear set.

Windwalker and johnebravo like this.
  13. DublinTrader

DublinTrader AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wait just a minute pal, I will not be categorized as an old fart, I am a vintage accumulator and despite my wife's claim that I am a hoarder I do let stuff go, usually in exchange for cash.:)

14. manu et deo

manu et deo Why can't I decide? Subscriber

I never just look at audio stuff when I'm there, last week I needed a new stapler- 4 stores later I had this like new Ace one with wood grain that blows the brand new one I just got on Amazon out of the water. Redid my kids bath in a beach theme with thrift decor, all at a tenth of the cost.

15. djwhy60

djwhy60 Rat Shack Fan Subscriber

I don't get to the physical GW often..but do search through Shopgoodwill.com quite often. Picked up a group of 20 albums..5 were worth keeping. 3 Angel Japanese press and The Rockets No Ballads Japanese press. Nothing on DISCOGS for it.

16. bigx5murf

shopgoodwill rarely has good deals on audio equipment unless it's pickup only. My city stopped offereing audio equipment on shopgoodwill recently. Otherwise I had a few good scores, NHT sw10 for $40, monitor audio radius series 2 speakers, a center, and a sub for $75, and my rotel TT for $50.

RogerKulp likes this.
  17. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I always have a mental list of things I'm currently looking for. I often find them quite quickly. I have all the kitchen stuff in the brand names I want. I'm always picking up great electrical tools. And I'm always finding other cool things. My son loves similar things as I do, so my picks for him are always appreciated. It is all in search of that elusive score. What a rush she is! :)

18. bigx5murf

19. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

Update on the Sansui SR-2050C I snatched from the crusher at the dump. I got the spindle out, cleaned and lubed it. Part of the process involved removing the bottom cover. What did I find? Severed tonearm wires. :mad:
    IMG_20171012_091550799.jpg

Well, what are you going to do? I continued on. I straightened the bent cantilever, set up VTF and the anti skate weight. By chance I had a 25" belt on another table to install. I popped on my best Herb Alpert album and fired it up. I'll be damned, it works! Mechanically it's going to be fine. I grabbed some tonearm wires from a parts table and super glued them to the existing wires hanging out of the pivot. I'll gently pull them through and solder them in tomorrow. Wish me luck.

20. 7lords

7lords AK Subscriber Subscriber