Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just when I was thinking I haven't had a score lately. Marantz UD7007 for $20 with remote.

ygYF820.jpg
Good one!
Bought mine new a year ago for the equivalent of 1000 $.

The local SA was at one time selling Boston records for 20 bucks
The SalArmys around here are always the worst offenders; highest prices, lowest quality. We stopped going to them in the Spring.
And it's not just records; used men's coats, WELL USED men's coats, for $24.99. Ties of $17.99. A TIE. And what they must have deemed a rare piece of art (an oil of a sailing ship) was priced at $119.99. I think they're starting to believe they are an antique shop.

Or they're trying to maximize their profits that they can get for the services they apply them to. Why leave so much meat on the bone for all the AK flippers? Good for them.

The problem is that other people want to buy this stuff too, people who maybe can't afford nicer stuff. Charities are absolutely DELUGED with donations, and what happens when they price this stuff too high and it doesn't sell is that a lot of it ends up in landfills, whereas if it were cheaper people might buy it.

Unless I’m mixing up my forums, This thread has been temporarily and almost permanently shut down due to devolving into bitching about thrift store pricing which I believe is frowned on here. Could we not put this long running thread in jeapoardy and maybe limit the thrift store policy bashing? I really like this thread.

As we get back to our regular scheduled programming...MCS 3222.Found this for $7.99(surprised it was priced this low as usually any receiver of this size silver or black is $34.99) needing a deoxit and a cleaning as it has the yellow smokers film.The meters are somewhat stuck but everything else is fine.Not the prettiest but color me impressed with the sound of this unit.I've had my share of smaller Marantz,Pioneer,Yamahas and Sansuis and this is just as good as any of them.Even has provisions for a third set or "rear speakers".Never have seen that on a receiver of this size.

Attachments

• 10-21-2017 012.jpg
    10-21-2017 012.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 10-21-2017 003.jpg
    10-21-2017 003.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 10-21-2017 009.jpg
    10-21-2017 009.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 104
I haven't found any audio this last week at thrifts other than some very minty classical records and some nice CDs including Johnny Cash's last cd, Ray Charles, Devo, etc, but I've been finding some great art, clothing, pottery, and games for excellent prices. I got my daughter a gorgeous fur coat last night. We don't have a problem wearing animal products including leather.

My favourite find last night was a Roselane covered casserole called aquamarine. It matches the salad bowl I got at an estate sale 4 years ago, but cost me much less!

It is out there...

Found speakers curbside on large item trash day.
Looked old so I stopped. AR2a. When I got home I pulled grills off. I guessing mids are wrong as each has only 1 screw (not a good sign) Woofers look very radio shack replacement also. I tear into them later or maybe I should take them back?
At the thrift I found a Beomaster Bang and Olufsen 5000 It looks like phonograph, cassette and receiver with control panel $50. Photos soon.

Stopped by the Goodwill Outlet today. It is a pretty wild place with dozens of people digging through the bins. A fun place, if you like to dig for Silver.

IMG_4003.JPG

Eureka! Dadgum--I struck silver! A Yamaha K 960 cassette for the price of a 12 ounce imitation Blueberry Red Bull. Most likely needs new belts or idler but such a pretty face. I had to rescue her.

IMG_4004.JPG

Last edited:
No
Grabbed a Denon drm555 tape deck today. Very good condition.

A couple days ago I picked up a mid century Silvertone HIFI speaker..

The speaker actually does work.. Any ideas on what it's worth?

2379f0d7df1a7f07572c821f22cc8100--record-cabinet-stereo-speakers.jpg

Photo lifted from Google..
Not knowing what's inside... the cabinet may be worth more than the speaker inside.

Back
Top Bottom