Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

There hasn't been much of interest lately, but I did find a copy of this relatively obscure folk rock gem yesterday. My research into Ms. Dobson's work has me believing I'll like her stuff.

MI0003016609.jpg

I posted several weeks ago about a set of Ultralink AV cables I found at a local thrift store- went back there today and they had a set of 13ft Ultralink Mach 1 component video cables for $5. I didn't buy them because I have no use for component cables, however I now wonder if these would make a good alternative for the center and surround audio channels of a 7.1 direct input signal? If so I will go back and grab them as I could use a set for that purpose.

I posted several weeks ago about a set of Ultralink AV cables I found at a local thrift store- went back there today and they had a set of 13ft Ultralink Mach 1 component video cables for $5. I didn't buy them because I have no use for component cables, however I now wonder if these would make a good alternative for the center and surround audio channels of a 7.1 direct input signal? If so I will go back and grab them as I could use a set for that purpose.
You are aware that you can use them for 2 channel analog patch cables just leave the third cable dangling in space or cut it off. If they're quality patch cords then there is no reason not to use them unless you have OCD and can not tolerate that sort of thing.

You are aware that you can use them for 2 channel analog patch cables just leave the third cable dangling in space or cut it off. If they're quality patch cords then there is no reason not to use them unless you have OCD and can not tolerate that sort of thing.

My main concern was more whether using video cables for audio purposes would compromise anything.

bobsvinyl and I made our weekly rounds today. When I was away last week, Bob was told there was a new batch of records hitting the bins. He checked multiple times including yesterday but nothing had appeared. However, today when we arrived it was game on, 21 albums @ $2 apiece. I left some behind due to condition and titles but I could have harvested at least 10 more. Bob didn't score as many but I'm sure will be posting his finds from GW as well as Savers.

11-29 GW - 1.jpg 11-29 GW - 1 (1).jpg 11-29 GW - 1 (2).jpg

bobsvinyl and I made our weekly rounds today. When I was away last week, Bob was told there was a new batch of records hitting the bins. He checked multiple times including yesterday but nothing had appeared. However, today when we arrived it was game on, 21 albums @ $2 apiece. I left some behind due to condition and titles but I could have harvested at least 10 more. Bob didn't score as many but I'm sure will be posting his finds from GW as well as Savers.

View attachment 1055607 View attachment 1055608 View attachment 1055609
Lps like this are never seen around here anymore.

My latest haul, while not coming from a store as it was given to me from a friend saying he didn't know if it worked or not and i could have it.
A Panasonic SA-CH34 shelf system from 1994! While this may be seen as junk to a lot of you guys, this is actually a bit of a socre for me as other than the tape deck, the unit fully works! Yes even the 5 disk CD changer and it actually plays disks. Ive had problems with the lasers with 90's Panasonic units before. The best part for me is the fully working SVI3101 D power module it uses. not a lot of info on that chip, but it rated 20Wx2 at 4Ohm 1%THD. Speakers dont sound too bad, good bass with good mids but only OK highs.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_0-13-26.png
    upload_2017-11-30_0-13-26.png
    603.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 24135539_543172166027876_106356244_n.jpg
    24135539_543172166027876_106356244_n.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 50
Non audio find today. Carter Bros. "The Lounger" mid century swivel scoop chair.. Its in pretty good condition.

FYI on old vinyl, it may suddenly split. I've had a few estate sale buys of mint barstools, chairs, etc. that came from long unused rooms. They looked absolutely perfect until one day sitting down and they split. Apparently the vinyl has hardened up over time. When it starts getting sat upon again it no longer has any give. I found some info on how to reduce this on a car restoration forum as the same thing happens on upholstery. There are treatments that can be applied to soften it back up. I've not tried that however and don't know how well it would work on furniture. That is a great piece though and better to know about that issue before.

FYI on old vinyl, it may suddenly split. I've had a few estate sale buys of mint barstools, chairs, etc. that came from long unused rooms. They looked absolutely perfect until one day sitting down and they split. Apparently the vinyl has hardened up over time. When it starts getting sat upon again it no longer has any give. I found some info on how to reduce this on a car restoration forum as the same thing happens on upholstery. There are treatments that can be applied to soften it back up. I've not tried that however and don't know how well it would work on furniture. That is a great piece though and better to know about that issue before.
Thanks for the heads up. I just googled how to soften old vinyl, and found a post that describes using goop hand cleaner.. I think im going to give that a try.

Thanks for the heads up. I just googled how to soften old vinyl, and found a post that describes using goop hand cleaner.. I think im going to give that a try.

You bet. I had a killer set of Chromcraft dinette chairs that lasted about week before they blew out. After some stools did the same thing I looked into it why.

11 year old rides a cheap 20" mongoose. I told him if he gets into it we will upgrade. He just likes cruising around a looking cool. My 6 year old has a trek and he is already standing up on the tube and getting the courage up to ramp.
I am a big noob in the BMX world but already know where i am going to set up the work bench. Researching and planning now. Mostly for the kids but i want something to play on as well.
Very cool. Sounds like they are into freestyle/flatland riding vs. race. I would highly encourage you to invest in a good Park bike stand - it makes wrenching a lot easier. If you do garage sales or thrift stores, definitely upgrade your kids!!! Like audio and probably even moreso, there are still a ton of good buys out there - especially if you aren't into the old/mid school stuff. You know, kids no longer into it or move away and parents just want garage space back - that sorta thing.

Very cool. Sounds like they are into freestyle/flatland riding vs. race. I would highly encourage you to invest in a good Park bike stand - it makes wrenching a lot easier. If you do garage sales or thrift stores, definitely upgrade your kids!!! Like audio and probably even moreso, there are still a ton of good buys out there - especially if you aren't into the old/mid school stuff. You know, kids no longer into it or move away and parents just want garage space back - that sorta thing.
Great tips. Thanks. Something that the boys and i can do together is a good thing. 11 year old is into the workshop idea - we also have a mini bike that needs work- and been researching frames etc. all week. Glad he asked me if i wanted to take his bike for a spin. :)

Back
Top Bottom