Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

What some find depressing others find uplifting... like the gospel/country song Precious Memories, here by Waylon Jennings...
I might be over personalizing this a bit but if I find myself in a depressing situation as your father in law Waylon Jennings singing Precious Memories would be an uplifting gift of music... its is restful for the soul when it all gets real. Hoping the best for your father in law and you in your search for interesting county music he would enjoy.
I didn't mean to lump it all together as depressing. I am not a musician so its difficult to describe but there is certain tuning or key that some country falls into that i can identify when i hear it. This is the depressing style that i would like to avoid. Thank you for your kind thoughts about my father in law. And will look for that song from Waylon on wax.

I didn't mean to lump it all together as depressing. I am not a musician so its difficult to describe but there is certain tuning or key that some country falls into that i can identify when i hear it. This is the depressing style that i would like to avoid. Thank you for your kind thoughts about my father in law. And will look for that song from Waylon on wax.
Oh I know you didn't mean it as a blanket statement.. just wanted to converse given the reason you are researching it. I enjoy country music but... always a but.. given what I hear as popular country music I wouldn't give it a moment of my time and wonder at it's appeal. As it is with all genres though there is some absolutely wonderful music out there that would fall into the category of Country. Merle Haggard has made some classics your father in law would probably enjoy like Today I Started Loving You Again.. maybe his signature song...
Or Johnny Horton's Whispering Pines.. practically anyone with an appreciation for Country music loves this...
The best of what might be called depressing is life affirming to many... Good country music is about life, many ballads. Take care....best to your father in law.

Got a marantz tt-170 pmount and a technics sa ex110 receiver for $15 at the habitat for humanity store. The tt is BPC but it works. The 2 together sound just fine in my 240 sq ft mini cabin.

Grabbed this $20 PL-L1000 off a bottom shelf at GW on Monday. There was no cartridge, this one came off my LAB-420. The boots were shot, am currently using the bottoms and I covered the springs with latex glove fingertips. I can't raise the tonearm at the moment, waiting on a belt. It works manually, sounds real good, hope I can get it running smoothly.

IMAG1099.jpg IMAG1098.jpg IMAG1095.jpg

Grabbed this $20 PL-L1000 off a bottom shelf at GW on Monday. There was no cartridge, this one came off my LAB-420. The boots were shot, am currently using the bottoms and I covered the springs with latex glove fingertips. I can't raise the tonearm at the moment, waiting on a belt. It works manually, sounds real good, hope I can get it running smoothly.

That, my good sir, is a score!

Beautiful turntable. I have one. If you can use it manually, then you should be able to get it working. It is critical that the parallel rods supporting the tonearm are absolutely level. Get yourself a small bubble level and level off the turntable based on those two bars.

But I tell you, that cue control is a pleasure to use once you get it going. This was Pioneers TOTL linear tracking turntable at the time.

$1.99 at the local thrift. Magnavox CDB-610 Twin DAC CD Player
456356128101316is.jpg

I found this Sony DVP S-9000 ES SACD/DVD player in excellent condition for $4.98. Works perfectly and weighs a ton with it's copper chassis. It was Sony's flagship unit in 2001 and listed for $1499. It's been awhile been awhile since I found something worth taking home. The picture quality is outstanding and the CD that I played sounded great.

20171127_161357.jpg

20171127_161421.jpg

20171202_105839.jpg

20171202_110805.jpg

MAN, that's a hell of a score right there. Congrats!!!!

Found this Onkyo TX-SR600 7.1 receiver at the Helping Hands today for $10... not the best score ever but not the worst...no remote but all the settings can be accessed from the front panel.

View attachment 1066951
These are pretty decent AV receivers. I cheaply picked up a 601 from a friend over the summer, only difference from 600 is stepped up DACs I think. Best part: they're pre-HDMI, so no dead Onkyo HDMI circuitry that entire forums (elsewhere) have been discussing. And probably the best FM tuner I have in the house. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom