Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Check the DC offset. Check it "cold" and watch it as it warms up. You may have caps that are way out of spec when cold then drift into spec as they heat up. I have a Sansui like that (in the to be fixed someday pile).
I will be taking it to my local audio shop for a "tune-up". If I keep using it the way it is now(cold to warm), will I ruin it? Thank you for the input and advice!

Denon avr2308. $40 at a local thrift. I figured it would solve my nightmare of video equipment switching, with a bonus of having a phono input. Came with remote all the knobs and even had the microphone for setup.
Got it home hooked it up connected everything... No sound! I went thru every menu trying to figure out what was wrong. Previous owner probably reassigned all of the digital inputs, so nothing was getting sound.
I did a little research and figured it needed to be reset. I find the reset procedure online, and now it works perfectly.
It has video scaling so i have all my video components hooked back up, including a laserdisc player, vcr/dvdr, cable, Xbox, and a turntable. I am now able to switch between all of my components with a push of a single button! No more switching inputs on the tv to switch between hdmi, and composite.
The phono section is surprisingly good. No hum, clear, and just works great.

Nice. I was looking at a pile of those 6260s at an auction a few weeks ago. They went for more than I could spend.

How do you like your AB International?
That AB 900A International was my first ever power amp! It's freaking amazing! It's way more power than what I really need :biggrin: Excellent tight bass, By far more powerful than my jbl 6260 but it's not even close to how beautifully the 6260 reproduces music(for example,Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon-sacd-flac-24-bit-96khz) I could swear there were instruments i never heard on the AB power amp that i hear on the jbl 6260 :eek2:

Finally I can post here again. It's been a while. Luxman TP-117 for $20 because it was half off day at Value Village (I stopped because a) herself wanted some wide mouth canning jars to store salt, beans, etc. in and b) I had a hunch that they'd have a sale today because it was a holiday.) Cosmetically very good. Picks up WAMU with a finger on the coax connector. Missing remote and AM antenna. (I really need to find a box of those, I already need the same antenna for a R-113 and a R-35something) Going to go back tomorrow and see if I can find the remote. Can't seem to figure out how to change inputs without the remote, but I'll program a Harmony to test it, and go back tomorrow when it's less crazy to see if they have the original. Then I guess I'll have to decide if I'm going to keep it and sell something, or just pass it on to another audio nerd. It doesn't look like much but the build of the faceplate is sexay.

I've heard the M-117 amp is less desirable than the R-117 receiver for some reason, I hope the same is not true of the TP-117...

Last edited:
Popped into the local hospice place today to see if any computers had been donated over the holidays. I clean them up and get them prepared for the hospice shop to sell and I just happen to get to look around their donations piles whilst I'm there.....

Not an audio piece worth anything donated over the holidays ! Nothing !! But OH MY the cookware and white goods, you could build a full scale replica of the Titanic with the amount of steel people have donated. There's plenty of VCRs, tacky all-in-one horror boxes, crappy DVd players etc but absolutely no good audio at all. This is place which has given up a Technics SL-10, AR90s, Pioneer SX-880, Aiwa AD-F990 and many more but I'm going to have to bide my time to find anything decent this year...

I picked up a RCA Victrola Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1 from a local thrift store this weekend. Usually I pass over classical, especially older 78s as I don't have anything to play them but these are in VG+ condition and Rachmaninoff himself is the pianist playing with the Philadelphia Orchestra. I've been looking for original recordings of his for ages and finally found one.
Now I just need to see if I can find a way to play them.

Panasonic DVD-H1000. Retailed for $2999.95 in 2001, mine for $19.99! At 37 pounds, this has to be the heaviest DVD player ever. Check out the cast metal internal chassis. I bet this thing has a IIHS crash test rating. (Photos from the 'net.)

qc1q74q.jpg

alWtL0L.jpg

oH85d23.jpg

Panasonic DVD-H1000. Retailed for $2999.95 in 2001, mine for $19.99! At 37 pounds, this has to be the heaviest DVD player ever. Check out the cast metal internal chassis. I bet this thing has a IIHS crash test rating. (Photos from the 'net.)

qc1q74q.jpg

alWtL0L.jpg

oH85d23.jpg
This is what I Iook for at thrifts.Higher end CD players.Nice.Rarely find them.

Last edited:
This is what I Iook for at thrifts.Higher end CD players.Nice.Rarely find them.

Yeah, interesting AV is all there is left to hunt at the thrifts. Pulled a remote from the stash so I've got control now. Very impressed with the stereo output. Check out the mirrored stereo section with dual PCM1704 D/A chips. It has two stereo outputs, one for the AVR and the other for a dedicated stereo system. If this was a standalone CDP, it would spec with the best. First impressions of the sound are hard uncompromising clarity, which suits me just fine. It is worthy of further comparisons against my top CDP's.

Thanks for the like. Now since I dont have space for all of this stuff, Id like to sell some of it off. Any ideas on how to go about it? Some of what I have picked up over time is too heavy to move or ship. Im in So Cal, so anyone around here interested in picking up some vintage gear is welcome to message me & maybe we can work something out.

You were doing so well until you self promoted your stuff. The place to sell here is Bartertown.

Back
Top Bottom