Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

attachment.php

Some days are better than others. This Goodwill is right next to a Walmart so I usually walk in thinking I won't find anything really good since many people stop in here. I did find a Dual turntable there a few years back.
This could not have been on the shelf that long. After I put it in my car I came back and found this:
attachment.php

Then a Super Disk half-speed mastered Neil Diamond Greatest hits LP not pictured.

I love that generation of dual power meter integrateds! I just had a Kenwood KA-6100! Hope you can get her going for minimum expense!

I've started getting interested in cassettes again. Part of it is due to the large number of interesting titles I find at the GW Buy the Pound at a cost of approximately 17 cents each. Yesterday I saw a Kenwood KX-71R cassette player with Dolby B-C, DPSS, and buttons for CrO2 and metal tapes for $3.00. I also picked up some tapes at the BTP.

Just another thing to mess around with. What I also like is how little room the cassettes take up and they are light which my back appreciates.

001.JPG 002.JPG

001 (3).JPG

I'd started a thread a while back asking if I should pursue a M-117 amp and the consensus was that I should fix my HK775 (160W) instead, and that the M-117 didn't sound as good as the amp section of the R-117. I have no experience with either, the only components I have from that era are a R-113, DZ-111, and I forget what the tape deck is, and now a TP-117.

I did program a Harmony 650 and was able to determine that I can switch inputs, although I haven't tested the phono section yet. So I dunno why it ended up getting donated... maybe because it *is* pretty useless without the remote?

BUT... upon reflection I think I may keep the TP-117 as it would allow me to get rid of three different components in that stack (preamp, tuner, and switch box - as the HK pre only has one aux input while the TP-117 has many)

I am definitely going to keep haunting that thrift to see if the remote turns up.

Well after hooking it up for real I may not have scroed after all. It's blending the channels and balance control works backwards. Looks cool though. Guess I will have to wait a while longer to have a truly high end system.

I've started getting interested in cassettes again. Part of it is due to the large number of interesting titles I find at the GW Buy the Pound at a cost of approximately 17 cents each. Yesterday I saw a Kenwood KX-71R cassette player with Dolby B-C, DPSS, and buttons for CrO2 and metal tapes for $3.00. I also picked up some tapes at the BTP.

Just another thing to mess around with. What I also like is how little room the cassettes take up and they are light which my back appreciates.

I started getting back into cassettes a few years ago, when I had to drive my dads car over the Rockies, and him only having Radio and cassette player in his car. There are lots of Radio dead spots over the trans-Canada. I now have a 3 head Denon on my daily driver, a really nice Aiwa M700b in the shop right now, and a few others in various states as I learn how to fix them. The duty on the belts is a killer though! I'm also finding music that was never released on CD, that I can't find in lps form. I'm also enjoying making mixed tapes again. I never realized how much I missed that! Nor how less satisfying making a playlist is.

Saw a pair of speakers at the dump yesterday with sun bleached cabinets looking very tired but the grill fabric made me take a second look. I popped the grill off one and saw a familiar looking tweeter so I figured I'd take a chance with them. When I got them home I noticed a faded Made in Denmark label, Free Dynaco A-35's, The drivers look like new but the cabinets will need some help, I'll try them out today hopefully they're ok. I don't really have a use or room for them now but I may A/B them with the Sansui 555A against the AR-5's in the bedroom. I may drag the Fisher XP-1's out of storage to see how they sound too.

I was going to the doctor's today, and I noticed there was a Goodwill right up the road. It turned out to be much bigger and better stocked than the one I usually go to.

The records and CDs were not great, but I picked up an Uncle Tupelo compilation CD for $2, and the following classical:

Alwyn/LSO - Tchaikovsky Spectacular, Decca SPA 108
Oistrakh, Mozart Violin Concerto and Beethoven Violin Sonata, Philips 6570 068
Beethoven Piano and Violin Sonatas, Szigeti/Arrau, Vanguard SRV 300/303

The last seemed vaguely familiar, but I wasn't sure. I went home and checked my spreadsheets and Collectorsfrenzy, and sure enough there is considerable collector interest. Since I paid $1 for the four-record set, I am quite pleased.

Well after hooking it up for real I may not have scroed after all. It's blending the channels and balance control works backwards. Looks cool though. Guess I will have to wait a while longer to have a truly high end system.
DeOxit is your friend.

DeOxit (for a Luxman TP-117 preamp that is blending channels) is your friend.

Do you really think that that has a chance of working? I'd definitely try it, but this just doesn't feel like a Deoxit problem.

I think the only time that I ever had Deoxit fix something that I didn't expect it to fix was on a Sony STR-6055? that made a nasty crack when changing inputs.

I do have too much busted gear so I can't really just take everything to a tech, I have to pick my battles. I did a pretty good job of culling a while back and suddenly I've got two more receivers and this pre/tuner...

Blending channels and backwards? Yeah, I think dirty is as likely as anything, but it will probably take a couple cleanings a day or two apart to cut through all of it. Read the DeOxit guide here if you need more info.

I can't believe that worked. Got full separation now. Mark, if I ever make it back to the burgh I owe you a tasty beverage for convincing me to do one last try before giving up.

It *is* filthy inside. Gotta wonder about the kind of person who would buy a $1200 pre and let it get in that state.

I can't believe that worked. Got full separation now. Mark, if I ever make it back to the burgh I owe you a tasty beverage for convincing me to do one last try before giving up.

It *is* filthy inside. Gotta wonder about the kind of person who would buy a $1200 pre and let it get in that state.
I wish I could post before/after pictures of the Marantz 2230 I found on the side of the road. Stupid Photobucket.

Maybe you can follow the links...

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/markshan/media/2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=304

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/markshan/media/4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=306

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/markshan/media/1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=303

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/markshan/media/3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=305

Back
Top Bottom