1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. superdog

superdog AK Member

Yeah this stung a bit.I know though that if it is something you really want there is no waiting because it will be gone.If you want it more than likely someone else wants it.
    I'll tell you another one that stung recently was a quality Yamaha CDX single disc player.These are not cheap on ebay and are well regarded.The drawer wouldn't open so I asked if they can discount it.He said let me check it out and in doing so it wouldn't open so he said "if it doesn't work we can't sell it" and proceeded to throw in a tall bin as I heard it land with a crash.I should have just bought it and if I needed to I could have brought it back if it was a lost cause.Ouch!...thats what I get for being a cheap bastard. $22.99 You live and learn.

satellite likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. axel340band

axel340band Member

Man, I had a great day at the local buy-the-pound last night. Pulled about $1300 worth of soul and surf/garage 45's. Got a bit of a punch in the gut though when I saw a pair of JBL L46's walk out the door as I came in. Just needed a refoam. The guy is a known speaker hoarder, so sadly, they're heading to his storage unit to sit for 20 years until he dies. Some of the 45's were pretty unobtanium though, so I think I did well.

3. axel340band

axel340band Member

Total damage, $3.

4. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

A bit different from the Who! (I like them both.)

markshan likes this.
  5. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

Been a bit dry here lately, but I found something today. This was at the bottom of a cart in the donation drop off area. I asked the asst manager if I could check it out. It powered up, but had a loose tuning button. Got it cheap as a "fixer upper". 60 WPC Akai AA-R42 receiver in all it's 80's glory. Works well and sounds good.

1518545842137514090318.jpg

milo63, Imanoldee, zebra03 and 6 others like this.
  6. mstrane21

mstrane21 Well-Known Member

Boy, that sucker is the personification of that decade. I kind of like it! I bet it sounds just fine too

likebike23 likes this.

7. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Local S.A. still has that Beogram 3000 (later, linear tracker version), for $15. B- aesthetic condition, spins up, but no stylus.

Somebody talk me outta this thing, please!

8. mstrane21

mstrane21 Well-Known Member

I saw one of those several months back, and looking up the price of replacement parts did the trick for me

9. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Me too. I guess what I mean is that Cowboy Junkies will be a nice surprise for the uninitiated. Just about anyone with a radio has heard The Who.

Dandy likes this.
  10. markshan

I wonder if Pioneer made that for them. They had a line that looked really similar.

11. markshan

Go price the cartridge, that will talk you out of it.

axel340band and mstrane21 like this.

12. axel340band

axel340band Member

Yeah, for real. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a complete table than it is to buy a new stylus for one of these abominations.

13. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's how I do it. I try to buy one with a good stylus, and then I look for a second one of the same type, or one that has a good stylus even if it is a different model. Then I sell the best with a spare stylus. Changes the pricing model drastically. I have a really nice keeper 4002, with a good spare stylus on a cosmetically less appealing one for parts.

14. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I'm not sure, it looks a bit like the SX-6. It uses 2 STK Darlington power packs. I don't recall Pioneer using Sanyo STKs, I'm no expert though.

15. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

only if your ready for a nap

16. markshan

"you're"

rickb119 likes this.

17. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

sorry , I was sleepy from seeing the words "Cowboy Junkies"

18. JayBlok

JayBlok Active Member

Found this QSC 1700 power amp priced at $5 bucks but I only paid $2.50 since it was half price weekend at the thrift store.
    For some reason they thought it was an air conditioner :dunno::rockon:
    Oh yeah,this beast sounds amazing! Detailed and crispy and powerful hooked up to my KLH 317's[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was hilarious!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    [​IMG]

19. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

^^^ be glad they didn't let it warm up. If they did it would have been sold as a heater for full price. Lol.

JayBlok, Bruins, rickb119 and 8 others like this.
  20. Goodwill_HiFi

Goodwill_HiFi Super Member

WOW I get that there is a big vent on the front, but it says "stereo amplifier" right on it!

Lazarus Long likes this.