Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

My recent spots:

Sony STR-K880 receiver
Yamaha RX-V795aRDS receiver
Kef iQ3 (sadly, little fingers had been at the coax tweeter metal dome)
B&W CC3 centre speaker
Onkyo BD-SP808 Blu-Ray & TX-NR906 receiver (£350 the pair...)
Kef Q55.2
Arcam AVR200 AV receiver
Denon UD-M31 mini system and speakers
Sony DVP-NS700V
Tangent E24 centre

Managed to resist all so far... I should have picked up the Tangent to convert into a Bluetooth speaker...

Oh, and a Sony CDP-M33 that's been sitting on a shelf at £2.49 for months...

Did a little wheeling and dealing today. Sold $80 of golf clubs and spent $70 on:

Yamaha DSP-A1
BIC Beam Box FM antenna
Medicus hinged 5 Iron

QVQKuSm.jpg

QvKub5u.jpg

Last edited:
In the picture in post #24350, the white circle between the 2 holes in the cassette is a battery holder - you can see the battery contacts through the cassette case. A button battery is used to power the magnet(s) at the bottom of the cassette that will be close to the tape heads and do the demagnetizing. Pressing play on the deck with the cassette loaded will complete the circuit and demagnetize the heads. Usually you only need to press play for a few seconds for this to work - try to get the instructions for exactly how long to keep it on.

In the picture in post #24350, the white circle between the 2 holes in the cassette is a battery holder - you can see the battery contacts through the cassette case. A button battery is used to power the magnet(s) at the bottom of the cassette that will be close to the tape heads and do the demagnetizing. Pressing play on the deck with the cassette loaded will complete the circuit and demagnetize the heads. Usually you only need to press play for a few seconds for this to work - try to get the instructions for exactly how long to keep it on.
Are you sure? The white circle moves along a track when you press fast forward and then reverse.

No magnets at the bottom of the cassette:

IMG_20180215_151215.jpg

IMG_20180215_151248.jpg

IMG_20180215_151304.jpg

I guess you're right - it's not a battery holder. It looked identical to a Teac demagnetizer I had back in the day, which did use a button battery and had contacts that looked like the pic above. And the magnet seems to be the same size as a button battery. This design is pretty much maintenance-free - no battery to replace. Sorry about that.

I bought these 1980 Akai SW-N5 based on weight and aesthetics alone. Used with the Akai UC series mini systems they were perfect for a dorm.
IMG_0868.JPG

Haven't test them yet. Those California Polytechnic students were too hard on their gear, were they?

IMG_0869.JPG

Last edited:
I have an similar version of those B&Ws that I can't find much info on. They have a wild B&W logo baffle- Imagine if Louie Vuitton made speakers. They sound pretty good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom