Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Not GW or SA, I picked all these up today for $40. Ten excellent Minimus 7's and two 77's that need a refoam. The bent grill popped right back in shape.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/d/12-realistic-indoor-outdoor/6526334262.html
Outstanding! These little speakers are impressive and handy to have around. You can tell they're for real by how heavy they are. My rule of thumb has been to always pick them up whether I need them or not if they are $10 or less per pair. But...my supply has diminished by giving them away, and I don't see them as often as I used to. I think I'm going to raise my rule of thumb to $20 a pair.

Outstanding! These little speakers are impressive and handy to have around. You can tell they're for real by how heavy they are. My rule of thumb has been to always pick them up whether I need them or not if they are $10 or less per pair. But...my supply has diminished by giving them away, and I don't see them as often as I used to. I think I'm going to raise my rule of thumb to $20 a pair.
At this point the mounting brackets are a higher dollar sale than the speakers.

At this point the mounting brackets are a higher dollar sale than the speakers.
By the way, I saw your post about EPI 150 vs. 100. I own and love the 150's. Didn't chime in because I haven't owned the 100's and can't compare. I have heard that the 100's were EPI's sweet spot. I would like to listen to them. All I know is that my 150's are glorious!

Quick review of the service manual seems to indicate that you are correct. Thanks much for the heads up.
I never did like that design decision on the Yamahas; it looked like they cheaped out. Too bad, because they're excellent pieces otherwise.

I have a set of ADS L980 that i found at my local thrift a few years ago (for 25% off $25). i still cant be happier with them! sound superb, and i bet those L700s should not be far behind

Holy crap, that's a major scroe!!!! I've only seen two sets of 980s close to me in the years I've been looking around for ADS speakers- one pair was at a pawn shop, cabinets pretty beat up, and they wanted $400. The other pair was minty on CL for $600. If my math is right you got those for waht, something around $19?? DANG!!!

Craftsman 6512 crown logo hand box in great shape. Just waxed it and cut some drawer liner for it, it's the perfect size to store my soldering station and heat gun in, and solder, wick, soldapullts, etc. all fit in the top tray. Spent more on a fresh roll of drawer liner than I did for the box...

I picked up one of those for my dad for $5 at an estate sale to replace his disintegrating tool box used for drill bits. It needed a repaint (which one of his employees finished), but I was happily surprised when I got it home to find a vintage Craftsman 1/2" drive speed handle laying in the bottom, under a couple of empty socket set boxes. :D

IMG_20180303_111521.jpg Not really related to audio, but I also collect vintage clothing - in particular, motorcycle and flight jackets. Found this beautiful Bristol leather touring jacket with mandarin collar, asymetrical main zipper, waist buckles and shoulder pockets. Very cool, but confiscated shortly after by my daughter.

Last edited:
Anthony Gallo TR-3D sub-woofer with original box, $62.50. Had another last year, kinda wished I had kept it now as I prefer dual subs. Also picked up a Sony Blu-Ray player for $8. I have the remote in my stash so all is good!

Edit Add: I had a closer look at the sub. It is a TR-3, not a D. The amp is still 300 wpc. Interestingly, the box says TR-3d. Still very happy with my find.

vW6AFTl.jpg

yBG7RS5.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap, that's a major scroe!!!! I've only seen two sets of 980s close to me in the years I've been looking around for ADS speakers- one pair was at a pawn shop, cabinets pretty beat up, and they wanted $400. The other pair was minty on CL for $600. If my math is right you got those for waht, something around $19?? DANG!!!
yep. about 19 bucks. i got them thinking ill make some good money flipping them. but after i tested them out i realizied those are not going anywhere...

Just got two pioneer 6 disc magazines and am wondering if I shouldn't go back and get the player for the laser (I have a PD-M910 and the laser was shaky when I got it)

Back
Top Bottom