Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I was out of town last week and then was sick with a bug, so I haven't been out thrifting. I felt better today and made the trip in to GW BTP and two retail GWs. The first retail store had a new batch of records and I ended up buying 16 of them. Just what I like, good titles plus the obscure, private pressing and oddball stuff. I also picked up CDs, DVDs and books. At the second retail store I found a Yamaha HTR-5830 5.1 AV receiver for $6.00. The Pink Floyd DVD was given to me by Te-Te at the BTP. Thanks!

001 (11).JPG 002 (5).JPG 003 (6).JPG 004 (7).JPG 005 (4).JPG 006 (5).JPG

Last edited:
Yamaha HTR-5830 5.1 AV receiver, 275 WPC for $6.00.

Not to burst your bubble, but I think that is the input power. They list the WPC at 110 @6 @1k with .8% distortion. So they even goosed those specs. I suspect that actually puts out about 50 watts into five channels.

Still easily worth $6 though.

Not to burst your bubble, but I think that is the input power. They list the WPC at 110 @6 @1k with .8% distortion. So they even goosed those specs. I suspect that actually puts out about 50 watts into five channels.

Still easily worth $6 though.

Thanks for the breakdown, Mark. I did a quick search for specs and thought that was high.

I might spend too much time at thriftstores... The owner saw me coming and handed me this beast. "Take it, it has some issues. If you can fix it and sell it, we'll split the money. If you can't fix or it gets too expensive, chuck it out." That's what I'd call 'win-win', even though it's not 'high-end'. Oh, by the way: it's wotking, just had to re-solder some joints.

305_1.jpg

305_2.jpg

305_3.jpg

What happened here works for me on so many levels. Kudos to all.

I might spend too much time at thriftstores... The owner saw me coming and handed me this beast. "Take it, it has some issues. If you can fix it and sell it, we'll split the money. If you can't fix or it gets too expensive, chuck it out." That's what I'd call 'win-win', even though it's not 'high-end'. Oh, by the way: it's wotking, just had to re-solder some joints.

305_1.jpg

305_2.jpg

305_3.jpg

Couple bikes today. Schwinn Le Tour for $8 and a Fuji mountain bike (1998 Black Diamond I think?) for $15. I just found out it is missing the shock on the frame though so it may go to the local bike shop for parts or repair. Working on determining the Schwinn year now. Obviously not stock.
20180527_181509.jpg 20180527_181515.jpg 20180527_181704.jpg 20180527_181712.jpg

The original Le Tour would have had drop handlebars. I picked up a Super Le Tour a few years back, and I love it.

My wife wanted to look for a sweatshirt at Goodwill; I found a Yamaha C-50 preamp for $25. There was a rattle inside that turned out to be a yellow art pencil (no brass ferrule for an eraser, so no shorting). Still, you had to remove five screws and the cover before you even reached a hole where you could stick it inside, so I don't know how it got in there.
20180527_165648.jpg 20180527_181729.jpg
Cleaned up a bit, this will become my new phono and tape preamp.It handles two tables, MC and MM, plus a lot of fine tuning for different cartridges.

The original Le Tour would have had drop handlebars. I picked up a Super Le Tour a few years back, and I love it.

My wife wanted to look for a sweatshirt at Goodwill; I found a Yamaha C-50 preamp for $25. There was a rattle inside that turned out to be a yellow art pencil (no brass ferrule for an eraser, so no shorting). Still, you had to remove five screws and the cover before you even reached a hole where you could stick it inside, so I don't know how it got in there.
View attachment 1197914 View attachment 1197917
Cleaned up a bit, this will become my new phono and tape preamp.It handles two tables, MC and MM, plus a lot of fine tuning for different cartridges.

These are known for dry joints as they run pretty warm, the pencil was probably stuck under the board instead of soldering the joints. Does it work ok? Been using mine for 6 years and it's a truly great piece of equipment.

305_1.jpg

305_2.jpg

305_3.jpg

I love gear like this and would have taken it too.

305_1.jpg

305_2.jpg

305_3.jpg

My first receiver, bought around 1989. Still have it although it has started to hum, so probably power supply. Did you get the remote? It has the balance and front/rear speaker controls. It does sound best just using the front speakers though.

My first receiver, bought around 1989. Still have it although it has started to hum, so probably power supply. Did you get the remote? It has the balance and front/rear speaker controls. It does sound best just using the front speakers though.

Open it up and tighten all the screws on the circuit boards. This eliminated the hum in a Sony I had from that era. Something to do with the grounding circuit.

Back
Top Bottom