Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Found a Technics M7 tape deck at my GW Outlet today. About 4 bucks and running nicely. I just have to source a proper knob. I don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction?
View attachment 1214862

There's all sorts of aluminum machined knobs from China on eBay. Just get a measurement of what you need and start searching. You should be able to find something that will match pretty well.

Found a samson S- 4 channel headphone amp marked for $2 dollars at value village thrift store but since it was the weekend ,i got it at half price.This sounds great as a preamp,pushes my Crown macro-tech 2400 really well,no hum,no distortion,no problem.
ArJmPsK.jpg

Z4mwoKN.jpg

IMG_20180619_120713.jpg IMG_20180619_120738.jpg I have been despondent about the drying up of thrift shop finds. Today, after yet another disappointing hunt, I stopped at a Salvation Army that I usually bypass because they have nothing there. But the SA gave me a "come to Jesus" moment today. Sony TA-E86B preamp, Sony TA-N86B amp, Sony X55ES CD player, EICO ST-70, and Kenwood KD-2055 turntable with B+O SP 12 cartridge. The table was less than $15, the other components were under $10 each. I'm a believer!

Last edited:
Not a thrift find, but a few months ago I purchased a set of Polk RTA-12 and a set of Polk Monitor 7's for $80 total off Craig's List. I saw them on a Monday night and immediately called the seller. She wasn't going to be in town until Sunday so I had some anxiety about that, but to my relief she deleted the ad almost as soon as we got off the phone.

She had the original owners manuals, and even the original receipt which now i wish I'd gotten. I did get the manuals. I have already JB Welded the magnets on the drivers. The 12s cabinets are in good shape. The 7s are rough. I will move the 12s on at some point in the future as they are simply too big for my listening space. I've read great things about the 7s but haven't gotten around to auditioning them.

View attachment 1215859 View attachment 1215858 I have been despondent about the drying up of thrift shop finds. Today, after yet another disappointing hunt, I stopped at a Salvation Army that I usually bypass because they have nothing there. But the SA gave me a "come to Jesus" moment today. Sony TA-E86B preamp, Sony TA-N86B amp, Sony X55ES CD player, EICO ST-70, and Kenwood D-2055 turntable with B+O SP 12 cartridge. The table was less than $15, the other components were under $10 each. I'm a believer!

Nice!

Had a pretty good find at the Goodwill Outlet last night. Found a 1974 Ovation Glen Campbell signature artist model guitar. Sadly, it's in pretty terrible shape. It has a poorly reattached headstock, done half assed with glue. Also has a couple of cracks on the soundboard. In good shape this is a very desirable guitar. Took it to my friend who is a luthier. He basically said it'll make a great beater, but the damage makes it not worth a proper restoration. He's going to use his CNC machine to rout the headstock and install a piece of mahogany to attempt to stabilize it. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll end up with a good beach guitar. It's a shame. Really was a beautiful guitar. Cost was $10, talked down from the $15 by the pound price. Headstock repair and replacement nut will cost another $40, so not bad for a total investment of $50.20180619_181428.jpg

As a postscript to yesterday's finds at the Sally Ann, I just dropped off a Beogram 1000 table, a pair of A/D/S L420 speakers and a Luxman suckface cassette deck as an act of gratitude for the bargains yesterday. Will be culling more stuff to donate there - spreading the good karma around. Which brings up an interesting question. Does the Salvation Army believe in karma?

Last edited:
Had a pretty good find at the Goodwill Outlet last night. Found a 1974 Ovation Glen Campbell signature artist model guitar. Sadly, it's in pretty terrible shape. It has a poorly reattached headstock, done half assed with glue. Also has a couple of cracks on the soundboard. In good shape this is a very desirable guitar. Took it to my friend who is a luthier. He basically said it'll make a great beater, but the damage makes it not worth a proper restoration. He's going to use his CNC machine to rout the headstock and install a piece of mahogany to attempt to stabilize it. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll end up with a good beach guitar. It's a shame. Really was a beautiful guitar. Cost was $10, talked down from the $15 by the pound price. Headstock repair and replacement nut will cost another $40, so not bad for a total investment of $50

You have an actual luthier who will do a headstock repair for $40? THAT is the greatest value in your post.

Had a pretty good find at the Goodwill Outlet last night. Found a 1974 Ovation Glen Campbell signature artist model guitar. Sadly, it's in pretty terrible shape. It has a poorly reattached headstock, done half assed with glue. Also has a couple of cracks on the soundboard. In good shape this is a very desirable guitar. Took it to my friend who is a luthier. He basically said it'll make a great beater, but the damage makes it not worth a proper restoration. He's going to use his CNC machine to rout the headstock and install a piece of mahogany to attempt to stabilize it. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll end up with a good beach guitar. It's a shame. Really was a beautiful guitar. Cost was $10, talked down from the $15 by the pound price. Headstock repair and replacement nut will cost another $40, so not bad for a total investment of $50.View attachment 1216586

Out of curiosity, what would it be worth restored if in better condition?

View attachment 1215859 View attachment 1215858 I have been despondent about the drying up of thrift shop finds. Today, after yet another disappointing hunt, I stopped at a Salvation Army that I usually bypass because they have nothing there. But the SA gave me a "come to Jesus" moment today. Sony TA-E86B preamp, Sony TA-N86B amp, Sony X55ES CD player, EICO ST-70, and Kenwood KD-2055 turntable with B+O SP 12 cartridge. The table was less than $15, the other components were under $10 each. I'm a believer!

By UK pricing thats like well over 1000 bucks worth of gear you just got, absolutely incredible. I wonder what speakers went with them?

Back
Top Bottom