Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Yup! That's exactly what happened!
You know there's likely to be trouble when they start pricing based on the title. You know there's insanity when they price them like that.

Maybe someone should suggest to the manager that you suspect one of the pricers is abusing a controlled or illicit substance

If you have the Discogs app on your phone, you can check

Chuck Berry: avg $4, NM currently offered at $9
Ray Charles, avg $6.50, no copies currently offered
Michael Jackson, avg $3.50, NM offered at $6
MMM - stereo, avg $16,. NM offered at $45

The MMM might have considerable value if it is a mono, but I'd bet it isn't.

It would make more sense to buy the 2014 Mono MMT sealed for about $50-$90 online or the 2012 Stereo remaster new for $25.

If you have the Discogs app on your phone, you can check

Chuck Berry: avg $4, NM currently offered at $9
Ray Charles, avg $6.50, no copies currently offered
Michael Jackson, avg $3.50, NM offered at $6
MMM - stereo, avg $16,. NM offered at $45

The MMM might have considerable value if it is a mono, but I'd bet it isn't.

I checked the CB while I was there, and saw the big delta. Didn’t check the others. I need to get the app as just going for the web is slow.

I have gotten so serious deals here in the past, but today most everything seemed high. Maybe a new manager? We’ll see how it goes. Our little town might support the higher prices, but I doubt it.

Greed is good.

Trust me when I tell you this can work to your advantage. First off, don't even think about those records. They are gone. The manager would rather throw them in the bin to "prove a point" than take a buck each for them now. But here is how it will benefit you if you are patient (trust me on this, I've seem it at least a half dozen times). After those sit for a month, or two, or four, they will realize that they are never ever going to sell. Then they will get a donation of stuff that actually should be more than a buck each, but by this time they will be soured to pricing records and will simply put them out. Even better, most of the flippers in the area will have given up on that store. Just be the right person at the right time and you will find your score. It's karma.

Last edited:
I look every day at the thrift in my town (GW and SA) and I've run across those records many times. It isn't even like they are rare. I swear some doofis working there prices them that way because they've actually heard of those artists. It wouldn't surprise me to find a Thelonious Monk on Riverside in a bin like that priced at $2 because they have no clue. I kind of look at it as a positive because the casual record shopper or flipper might stop looking there. It might open up opportunities to score some good stuff :dunno:.

I look every day at the thrift in my town (GW and SA) and I've run across those records many times. It isn't even like they are rare. I swear some doofis working there prices them that way because they've actually heard of those artists. It wouldn't surprise me to find a Thelonious Monk on Riverside in a bin like that priced at $2 because they have no clue. I kind of look at it as a positive because the casual record shopper or flipper might stop looking there. It might open up opportunities to score some good stuff :dunno:.
Did you read my post right above? I think we were posting simultaneously and are very much on the same page.

Oh, and this is important. Continue to be polite there no matter how outrageous they are. If you make that crack (as I've been tempted to several times) about putting down the hash pipe before picking up the pricing gun, you will bogart your karma.

I can tie every dry spell I've ever had to an incident where I was an asshat.

Ha! That's funny. Brilliant minds think alike. I'm just glad you're not in my town, no offense, it would be tougher for both of us.
None taken. I regard that as high praise. And you are right, you are glad I'm not in your town. ;)

On the other hand, maybe we could be like @bobsvinyl and his thrifting buddy (sorry, I can't remember his name) and double the karma.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom