Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Bought a cadenza with louvered speaker doors, WITH built in " Record Player" $50 Unseen.
Found no speakers, but in one ,4 -10" metal R/R ??? Here's THE RP. Still trying to figure out the cartridge.T-24, Shure bracket, holding a Stanton cartridge, and a D70E stylus ??? AND a nasty solder job on the cart. connectors !

Pristine Dual 1249

Happens all the time!

Pigboat659
IMG_5380.jpg IMG_5381.jpg IMG_5382.jpg

A few records from last week. I went to a consignment shop that I've been to before with very little luck. I hadn't been there in about 6 months so I stopped in and they had a about 500 albums. I managed to find about 15 records, 2 CDs and the sheet music to LZ's Stairway to Heaven.

002 (11).JPG 003 (9).JPG

Found a pair of Advent/1's at the GW. Marked at $39.95 - they went down to $25 when I inquired about them. In definite need of a refoam and maybe a recap, but in good overall shape. Some staining on the grills - any ideas on how to clean? Thanks.

A few records from last week. I went to a consignment shop that I've been to before with very little luck. I hadn't been there in about 6 months so I stopped in and they had a about 500 albums. I managed to find about 15 records, 2 CDs and the sheet music to LZ's Stairway to Heaven.

View attachment 1286388 View attachment 1286390
That 10 inch Claire Austin album is one of my all time favorite blues albums. Mecca Flat Blues is awesome.

Found a pair of Advent/1's at the GW. Marked at $39.95 - they went down to $25 when I inquired about them. In definite need of a refoam and maybe a recap, but in good overall shape. Some staining on the grills - any ideas on how to clean? Thanks.
Spray on fabric and upholstery cleaner.

I have found a lot of old style rock at GW, many times in super shape, other times scratched all to hell, but these are some nice ones. Iron Butterfly(Heavy), Jimmy Buffet(Living and Dying..), Strawberry Alarm Clock(Incense and Peppermints), and who can forget THEM(Here Comes the Night) Very Early Van Morrison!20180923_141709_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped in a SalArmy today where I normally find nothing, there were 8 boxes of LP's (about 300) on the floor near the register. I knew they must be recent donation as the LP bins are on the opposite side of the store. Most in very good condition. I bought these $0.99 each:
aSAR.JPG
the lady at the checkout said: "oh you found a few. These came in Friday. There were 15 other boxes that a man bought - yes all of them. When we were closing the store Friday evening we found these 8 boxes still outside the back door."

Wonder what I missed.

View attachment 1289389
the lady at the checkout said: "oh you found a few. These came in Friday. There were 15 other boxes that a man bought - yes all of them. When we were closing the store Friday evening we found these 8 boxes still outside the back door."

Wonder what I missed.
Yeah, wondering what you missed is haunting. Several years ago I swing thru S.A. on Sunday night to peek at what may have been left on their doorstep over the weekend.
...Twentyfive U-Haul boxes full of LP's! Jazz, rock, country, alternative, punk, you name it *gasp* (there's a post & pic somewhere here on AK).
Always wanting to be a good guy and respect the store's Taking-our-donations-is-stealing thing, I refrained mightily-- I mean really, where's 2000lbs of vinyl gonna go-- but was back down there the next morning at opening.
Uh, where's all the records??!
The employee at the back door, stretching his back and wincing says, "Dude, I don't wanna see records ever again-- boss called me in early, said 'Get rid of 'em!' Took both truckloads over to the public radio station."
Of course I bolted straight there where I met the GM and another guy, loading their Subarus, in full-on Scrooge McDuck mode. No sharing, no selling, no peeking, no discussion.
I still wonder what I missed. Pretty safe bet nothing quite like that will ever happen again.

Last edited:
Yeah, wondering what you missed is haunting. Several years ago I swing thru S.A. on Sunday night to peek at what may have been left on their doorstep over the weekend.
...Twentyfive U-Haul boxes full of LP's! Jazz, rock, country, alternative, punk, you name it *gasp* (there's a post & pic somewhere here on AK).
Always wanting to be a good guy and respect the store's Taking-our-donations-is-stealing thing, I refrained mightily-- I mean really, where's 2000lbs of vinyl gonna go-- but was back down there the next morning at opening.
Uh, where's all the records??!
"Dude, I don't wanna hear about records ever again-- boss called me in early, said 'Get rid of 'em!' Dumped both truckloads at the public radio station. "
Of course I bolted straight there where I met the GM, loading his Subaru, in full-on Scrooge McDuck mode. No sharing, no peeking, no discussion.
I still wonder what I missed. Pretty safe bet nothing quite like that will ever happen again.

No, No, No!
No dumping is allowed at the local thrifts around here.
If I heard this happened around here I would have sleepless nights wondering too.

No, No, No!
No dumping is allowed at the local thrifts around here.
If I heard this happened around here I would have sleepless nights wondering too.

Of the 4 major thrifts in my area (AmVets, GW, SalArmy, Savers) the only one that has outdoor drop offs is a few SalArmy stores.
I've found some decent things, only during business hours where I will haul it in the store and ask for a price. If it's a heavy item they seem to appreciate me bringing it in.

My wife and I have seen people rummaging through the drop offs, loading up their vehicle, and drive off in broad daylight during business hours. We've told the manager, and she will try to get a plate number and call the police. It's hard for them to tell who is dropping stuff off and who is 'picking' stuff up.

I went to the GW Buy the Pound on Tuesday with Walter and I found an interesting record that I've never run across before, Bo Diddley's The Black Gladiator. We got a kick out of the cover. Walter commented that he should have changed his name to Rambo Diddley. On Checker Records, LPS3013.

001 (2).JPG 002 (12).JPG

Sounds like some manager's trolling eBay and looking at the Mint sealed auctions for their pricing. I'd love to know the condition of Magical Mystery Tour at that price.
I didn't consider that and it makes perfect sense. At the same time, doing so contradicts the reason customers stream through the doors in the first place: to find used consumer items at steep price discounts and in reasonable condition.

I didn't consider that and it makes perfect sense. At the same time, doing so contradicts the reason customers stream through the doors in the first place: to find used consumer items at steep price discounts and in reasonable condition.

I know I was in GW once and an unmarked laserdisc player was on the shelf. I took it up for a price check. The manager took one look at it, told me to wait a minute, and pulled out his phone to look it up (somehow). I knew I was doomed at that point. He turned back to me and said 150.00, red tag price (no discounts). I told him not to worry about it and turned on my heels to get out of there.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not) that particular GW tanked hard and has been gone for months now.

I wonder if there are Chinese made headshells with the technics logo.. hmmmm

I know I was in GW once and an unmarked laserdisc player was on the shelf. I took it up for a price check. The manager took one look at it, told me to wait a minute, and pulled out his phone to look it up (somehow). I knew I was doomed at that point. He turned back to me and said 150.00, red tag price (no discounts). I told him not to worry about it and turned on my heels to get out of there.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not) that particular GW tanked hard and has been gone for months now.

Same thing happened to me with a passive radiator subwoofer I can't recall right now. It had no price, and the manager did a search on her phone, and told me $300, I passed.

Just recently I picked these up for $150. By far the most I've ever spent on anything at goodwill
zjs8XY9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom