Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

$3.99 Yesterday. Minimus 7's A local audio buff friend was looking for a set so they got immediately passed on to him.

I had a line on a pair of those (7W's) and it fell through as of today. I needs to find me a pair.

True Story!!!

This morning I stopped by my buddy's audio repair shop and we got to talking and I mentioned the 7W's story. He said hold on and proceeded to poke around in back and next thing I know he hands me a pair of 7's (metal case). They are pretty grungy but work and he said just take them and we'll figure something out later.

Later in the day I stopped by a local store to see if I could find some Goof Off or Goo Gone to clean up the metal cabs as they have this sticky residue issue going on. They didn't have any so I left and was heading home and decided to stop by the local GW on my way. I walk in, and again true story, I head over to the electronics section and there sitting on a shelf were a pair of 26's in great cosmetic shape. Six dollars and change later I walked out with them.

DSCN0530.jpeg

DSCN0531.jpeg

DSCN0532.jpeg

DSCN0533.jpeg

2BAE87CD-0F3D-4D7C-BD0B-F4D90A375CBB.jpeg
Here is a seasonal find. I was looking at bags of Christmas decorations at my fav thrift and found a heavy ornament. Marked Reuge- Ste. Croix-Swiss- Pat. On the small brass star. Bought the bag for 2 bucks and gave the rest back.

Got it home and found out is a music “box” . Carefully pulled the string and heard a sweet silent night. This Thorens of Christmas balls will get a little lube to make it sing for another 50 years.

They seem to be quite collectible.

Last edited:
True Story!!!

This morning I stopped by my buddy's audio repair shop and we got to talking and I mentioned the 7W's story. He said hold on and proceeded to poke around in back and next thing I know he hands me a pair of 7's (metal case). They are pretty grungy but work and he said just take them and we'll figure something out later.

Later in the day I stopped by a local store to see if I could find some Goof Off or Goo Gone to clean up the metal cabs as they have this sticky residue issue going on. They didn't have any so I left and was heading home and decided to stop by the local GW on my way. I walk in, and again true story, I head over to the electronics section and there sitting on a shelf were a pair of 26's in great cosmetic shape. Six dollars and change later I walked out with them.

View attachment 1324302

View attachment 1324300

View attachment 1324303

View attachment 1324305

One of the great things about Mini 7s is that if that stuff won't come off with Goof Off, they are super easy to sand and spray paint.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...re-realistic-minimus-7-t.714219/#post-9606021

The decorating possibilities abound. High WAF.

True Story!!!

View attachment 1324302

View attachment 1324300

View attachment 1324303

View attachment 1324305

I think I have a set of those 26's, and they have been filed in the "do not buy" category. I have passed on 2-3 pairs since. I wasn't too thrilled with the way they sounded.

Now, the Minimus 7's however, well, I haven't seen a pair yet that I didn't buy, and I think I am about 6 pairs deep now.

I have a set of those 26's and with a sub they sound great.Also have a set of the 7w in the garage I am rehabbing. Great little speakers.

Just found 2 unsuspecting but heavy PA cabs and thought i'd struck gold with the Goodmans which is dated 1945!! Sadly the other contains a big old Alnico Wharfedale.

Attachments

• IMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3105.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 64
Non audio score today. Picked up this Miyata two ten touring bike from the SA today. Has the original rack and is in good shape. It's a little big for me, but someone is going to like it.
View attachment 1325040

Those older Miyata touring frames are excellent. Does this have "quad butted" tubing? The dropouts are brazed for both racks and fenders. The cantilever brakes are perfect for a true touring bike especially if you put on fenders. The TOTL Miyata 1000 has a very cult status. The 210 shares its bones. If this were mine I would take it apart and clean everything. The hubs, headset and the bottom bracket (if the races are OK) should be repacked. You can also repack the pedals. It may need a new bottom bracket, derailleur pulleys, tires, chain, freewheel (or cassette and I would bet on that vintage having a six speed free wheel) and brake pads. Hpefull the tires are 700c and not 27 1/4 English sized. The shifter and brake cables may need replaced. You can also switch out the Schrader tubes for Presta tubes. All you need is a pair of grommets for the valve holes. Pull the seat post and handle bar stem and grease them up. They might be galled into the fork and frame. I would also ditch the bar shifters and replace them with down tube shifters. If the rear derailleur is not indexed that is any easy replacement. Keep the rear rack. If memory serves me correctly on working on Miyata touring frames it is a proprietary fit.

Is the front bag a Cannondale?

Trade you a full bike rehab (parts extra) for a receiver recap (parts extra):).

Last edited:
The Sony CDP-302II was still there. I passed on it because the door would not open which is a standard fault for this player. Today is half off for the color tag so $8 later and a little lube for the tray rail, it's home and playing. Early Sony CDP's were criticized as being strident but I find the 302's clarity and dynamics suit my preference for objective accuracy. It's a fast and clear sounding CDP.

Last edited:
Besides the aforementioned big hit on the Pioneer amp and tuner, made a deal about a pair of KEF Chorales, and a pair of Grundig Lautsprecherbox 19. 10 euros at a private second hand shop. The Grundigs I bought for their funny small size and looks, but they sound really surprisingly decent. For a pair of 7W cigar-boxes.:bowdown: The KEF's are good, accurate, but I'm not sure yet it's my taste.

And the most fun is of course buying the Grundigs, trying to check them out on the internet, and finding almost nothing........except a very little on AK and about 4 pictures (!) on the www .....I like special stuff .....:) own two motorbikes, each built for a period of 2 years only. Always nice if I see people look puzzled eyeing them .

Last edited:
Those older Miyata touring frames are excellent. Does this have "quad butted" tubing? The dropouts are brazed for both racks and fenders. The cantilever brakes are perfect for a true touring bike especially if you put on fenders. The TOTL Miyata 1000 has a very cult status. The 210 shares its bones. If this were mine I would take it apart and clean everything. The hubs, headset and the bottom bracket (if the races are OK) should be repacked. You can also repack the pedals. It may need a new bottom bracket, derailleur pulleys, tires, chain, freewheel (or cassette and I would bet on that vintage having a six speed free wheel) and brake pads. Hpefull the tires are 700c and not 27 1/4 English sized. The shifter and brake cables may need replaced. You can also switch out the Schrader tubes for Presta tubes. All you need is a pair of grommets for the valve holes. Pull the seat post and handle bar stem and grease them up. They might be galled into the fork and frame. I would also ditch the bar shifters and replace them with down tube shifters. If the rear derailleur is not indexed that is any easy replacement. Keep the rear rack. If memory serves me correctly on working on Miyata touring frames it is a proprietary fit.

Is the front bag a Cannondale?

Trade you a full bike rehab (parts extra) for a receiver recap (parts extra):).

Hey, isn't Reynolds 753 high end tubing?

This bike has triple butted tubes, 27 inch wheels, and non indexed (friction) shifting. It is a true touring bike with cantis and extra braze ons.

It's really in decent shape. The bearings are all adjusted properly, the custom rack is there, the tires are new (kendas, meh), tubes are good, wheels are true, rear pads and middle chainring are new. The shifters are a hack job, but lucky me, the original downtube shifters were in a baggie in the Cannondale handlebar bag.

It's a 56cm, I ride a 53cm, so it's too big for me. I have a friend who's like 5'11" who may be interested. If I sell it to him, I'll give it a complete refurb as you described. If he doesn't want it, I'll make it safe and properly tuned, and flip it.

Kinda bummed it's not my size or I would keep it. I sold my Univega Gran Turismo and kind of regret it. It was a sweet ride.

Hey, isn't Reynolds 753 high end tubing?

This bike has triple butted tubes, 27 inch wheels, and non indexed (friction) shifting. It is a true touring bike with cantis and extra braze ons.

It's really in decent shape. The bearings are all adjusted properly, the custom rack is there, the tires are new (kendas, meh), tubes are good, wheels are true, rear pads and middle chainring are new. The shifters are a hack job, but lucky me, the original downtube shifters were in a baggie in the Cannondale handlebar bag.

It's a 56cm, I ride a 53cm, so it's too big for me. I have a friend who's like 5'11" who may be interested. If I sell it to him, I'll give it a complete refurb as you described. If he doesn't want it, I'll make it safe and properly tuned, and flip it.

Kinda bummed it's not my size or I would keep it. I sold my Univega Gran Turismo and kind of regret it. It was a sweet ride.

My size and I need another bicycle.....not. 753 is (or at least was) very high end tubing. I would not want it on a touring bike. It is impossible to repair and the wall thickness would never support a loaded touring bike. Good that you have the DT shifters. The wheel size (27) is problematic if you ever want to tour outside the USA. You would need to have the cantilever studs rebrazed to fit a 700cc rim. Good bike for someone who wants to just ride about. It would ride like a Cadillac with that long wheel base and that is a compliment.

Besides the aforementioned big hit on the Pioneer amp and tuner, made a deal about a pair of KEF Chorales, and a pair of Grundig Lautsprecherbox 19. 10 euros at a private second hand shop. The Grundigs I bought for their funny small size and looks, but they sound really surprisingly decent. For a pair of 7W cigar-boxes.:bowdown: The KEF's are good, accurate, but I'm not sure yet it's my taste.

And the most fun is of course buying the Grundigs, trying to check them out on the internet, and finding almost nothing........except a very little on AK and about 4 pictures (!) on the www .....I like special stuff .....:) own two motorbikes, each built for a period of 2 years only. Always nice if I see people look puzzled eyeing them .

Interesting because I picked up a Grundig Studio-something a whIle back and it too had quite small but we'll made speakers. They sounded really great for their size.

Interesting because I picked up a Grundig Studio-something a whIle back and it too had quite small but we'll made speakers. They sounded really great for their size.

Yes, actually I promised them more or less to my brother-in-law, before I hooked them up. For his garage radio or something.... I didn't expect much before hooking them up. But I texted him: "I'm sorry, but really got to think about this mate" They are singing little boxes. No bass or whatsoever of course, but the frequencies they do reproduce are a pleasure to listen to. Nice stereo too around the sweet spot .

@reynolds753: I like Cadillac rides. I have a Peugeot U08 that I extensively customized and love it. It has a really long wheelbase, 700x37mm tires, and low trail geometry so it isnt too slow handling.

I'm pretty close to the UMASS/5 college area and the students love vintage road bikes, touring bikes especially. Some grad student will grab it and commute to school on it.

True Story!!!

View attachment 1324302

View attachment 1324300

View attachment 1324303

View attachment 1324305

Spray some WD40 on that gunk. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and I bet it will come off.

Back
Top Bottom