Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Had the day off today so I met up with my brother and we decided to hit some more out of the way rural thrifts. Pretty glad we did. Found a few decent video games and MY FIRST TURNTABLE! Technics sl-3350 in pretty nice shape. I know very little about them so I have a lot of reading and YouTube in my near future! Oh and I paid under $7 for it!
View attachment 1350013 View attachment 1350014 View attachment 1350018 View attachment 1350019

That's probably the cleanest, and most complete thrift store/ GW turntable I've ever seen.

Sorry guys, there is no cartilage left. I was hoping for some of that myself. Not a Dr. but that hip looked to be pretty scared up with arthritis. Looks like the poor fellow was in worse shape than some of us.

No records or CDs today, but I hit a home run with music related books. First up is a reference book about electronic music pioneer Raymond Scott whose music was adapted for many of the early Looney Tunes cartoons. This is 348 pages and filled with interesting info.

001 (8).JPG

Next is a book of Donovan Leitch's poems that was a 1,000 copy limited edition from 1996. I opened it up and it was autographed.

002 (7).JPG

The third and best was a book on the violinist, Yehudi Menuhin from 1979. I always check inside to see if the book is signed and instead I found an autographed photo of Menuhin taken in Paris in 1933. He was only 17 years old at that time. I was really excited about finding these all in one place.

003 (6).JPG

No records or CDs today, but I hit a home run with music related books. First up is a reference book about electronic music pioneer Raymond Scott whose music was adapted for many of the early Looney Tunes cartoons. This is 348 pages and filled with interesting info.

View attachment 1350610

Next is a book of Donovan Leitch's poems that was a 1,000 copy limited edition from 1996. I opened it up and it was autographed.

View attachment 1350613

The third and best was a book on the violinist, Yehudi Menuhin from 1979. I always check inside to see if the book is signed and instead I found an autographed photo of Menuhin taken in Paris in 1933. He was only 17 years old at that time. I was really excited about finding these all in one place.

View attachment 1350620

You have a sharp eye .

That's a beaut! Haven't seen one before.

I can’t find much info on it. There’s a tube video from a guy who bought the entire rack system for $50 about ten years ago. He had the original sales receipt for $1400 in 1989.

It sounds ok hooked up to some marginal speakers. If it plays trouble free for a few more hours, I am going to see what I get on better speakers.

I also bought the CD player. Wondering now if I should’ve gotten the tape player. There wasn’t a tuner on the shelf.

Why are the turntables always missing from these sets? Did everyone throw them away when the belt broke just like when the woofer surrounds gave out?

Back
Top Bottom