Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Nice score. Too bad about the AjA album. I’d take it for a candidate for my framed LP covers. I’m not a huge bread fan. however, I found 3 perfect albums at a Humane Society Thrift store for 1.00. These covers are amazing works of art. One has a bifold with two windows to show the band photo.

View attachment 1456522
The bifold with the two windows, I agree. I bought it back when for that reason... and my girl friend liked it.

22700B8B-30C5-4B16-B942-A7B588C29539.jpeg A72B0069-74A6-4417-A566-4FEC2D2CE403.jpeg
I just completed a trade, some of you might remember this picture from a week ago of a one day haul. I traded the Klipsch SF-2’s and sub or an Adcom GFA 555 Mk II. The amp sounds great, a little white paint marks I think I can get off. He felt he needed to sweeten his side of the deal so he through in a Yamaha HDMI receiver with remote. Thank you very much!, I am less than $70 invested, selling the receiver I’ll probably have some extra cash and a FREE Adcom

Nice score. Too bad about the AjA album. I’d take it for a candidate for my framed LP covers. I’m not a huge bread fan. however, I found 3 perfect albums at a Humane Society Thrift store for 1.00. These covers are amazing works of art. One has a bifold with two windows to show the band photo.

I thought about framing it also. Or maybe someday find the the LP with a bad cover.

I found something pretty interesting today. My parents came over with a stack of records to give me as an early birthday present from a local used record shop. Upon pulling out the Eddie Cochran record I happened to notice something in-between the record sleeve and album cover. It's an original numbered promo only photo from the movie Go, Johnny, Go dated 1959. I can't seem to find any info on this phone anywhere so I'll post some pics in hopes someone can tell me something about it. I don't necessarily care if it's worth anything I just think it's a really cool and unique find.

Attachments

• 0322192106.jpg
    0322192106.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 0322192106a.jpg
    0322192106a.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 0322192107.jpg
    0322192107.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 0322192107a.jpg
    0322192107a.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 0322192107b.jpg
    0322192107b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 80
I found this NHT Audio Center-1 speaker for $69. I thought the price was high for a thrift store but as you can see, I found those matching NHT towers about a couple of years ago for only around $15 so I spent the $ and bought the center speaker. Just another one of those weird things that happens now and then. I almost got rid the NHT towers only because I have too much stuff but glad I didn't. I also may be on my way to getting a shipping container for storage, I need something like that really bad.
GO460Yy.jpg

Klipsch front.jpeg
I picked these up for $20 for the pair at a Goodwill in Wilmington, NC a few years ago. I swear they look like nothing had ever been laid on top of them, snagged the grill cloth, or even touched them, for that matter. I had a cat at the time that like to mark things as his own, so I only used speakers that were on stands, and I gave them to a friend. Her receiver died a few years ago, I just found out, so I'll be at the GW tomorrow looking for a replacement for her. ;)

Last edited:
I picked up a few items today from my favorite GW:
Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver (with remote) - $30
Denon DVD-1930CI DVD/SACD player - $7.50
AR Fun Partner speakers - $12.50

The receiver seems to work fine and will go to a friend. It was good to find one with the remote. The MCACC mic wasn't with it, but I can pick up one of those for cheap. I'm not sure about what I'll do with he CD/SACD player. It seems to work fine on SACD discs at least, and it's in pretty good cosmetic condition, and I know it'll look better once I clean it up. I already have a nice Sony, and this one is minus its remote. I may just keep this to go with a Denon receiver, when I come across a good cheap one. At any rate, it seemed like I should buy it, based on the price. One of the speakers works fine. The other appears to be dead, as in no sound whatsoever. I will have to check into this before the 7-day return period is up.
GW_3-23-19.JPG
Edited to add: After testing each speaker with a multimeter and getting the same reading on both speakers, I hooked them up again to make sure which one had no sound. This time, both worked. Odd, but at least they're working!

Last edited:
I paid a visit to my favorite thrift store, where the CDs, books, and LPs are 50 cents unless they're having a sale.

I was intrigued by a copy of Donald Fagen, The Nightfly, in a cover that could only be graded as Poor-. However, it did have a 'Quiex II' promo sticker on the front. Looking at the record inside, it seemed unscratched but was very dirty. Then I spotted the distinctive initials of Robert Ludwig in the deadwax, and decided to take a chance.

I then looked through several hundred CDs. There was no decent classical, but I picked up some 90s rock that I might or might not like:

Foo Fighters: Wasting Light
Green Day, Dookie
Sting, Mercury Falling,
Coldplay, Viva La Vida - still sealed!

Moving on to the books, I bought a recent biography of Cezanne. It is not an art book, but it has nice color plates, and sold for $40 new in 2012. A Stephen Ambrose trade paperback about Jefferson and Merriwether Lewis got thrown in - they're only a quarter.

There was a huge line to check out - the store does a fantastic business, although it's mostly ladies buying clothes. I paid my bill of $2.98 and left.

It will be interesting to see if the record plays - it might, or maybe not. If I don't like a CD, I just give it to someone else who does.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but today's haul was a Dual 1249 turntable for $25 (needed tlc, now working), a 1966 Sylvania mid century modern stereo console (working) for $65, and The Guess Who Canned Wheat for $5 (rarely played).

The console has a Garrand changer in it but I might drop the Dual in it instead.

I was intrigued by a copy of Donald Fagen, The Nightfly, in a cover that could only be graded as Poor-. However, it did have a 'Quiex II' promo sticker on the front. Looking at the record inside, it seemed unscratched but was very dirty. Then I spotted the distinctive initials of Robert Ludwig in the deadwax, and decided to take a chance.

It will be interesting to see if the record plays - it might, or maybe not. If I don't like a CD, I just give it to someone else who does.
What is your cleaning regimen? That record should clean up nicely, especially if it is the Quiex copy that originally came in that jacket. That harder vinyl really responds to cleaning.

View attachment 1457244
I picked these up for $20 for the pair at a Goodwill in Wilmington, NC a few years ago. I swear they look like nothing had ever been laid on top of them, snagged the grill cloth, or even touched them, for that matter. I had a cat at the time that like to mark things as his own, so I only used speakers that were on stands, so I gave them to a friend. Her receiver died a few years ago, I just found out, so I'll be at the GW tomorrow looking for a replacement for her. ;)

Nice. 3.5's! I got my pair for $24 and they needed a fair bit of love to get back into shape.

What is your cleaning regimen? That record should clean up nicely, especially if it is the Quiex copy that originally came in that jacket. That harder vinyl really responds to cleaning.

I use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluids, in conjunction with a VPI 16.5. It does a pretty good job, but it is always possible the record may simply be damaged. My loss is limited to 50 cents!

View attachment 1456141

Concept 5.5, GW $16 after discount 55 wpc looks to be in very good condition. I have never found one of these brands before. Will test later today and update

Nice score! This was TOTL of the first wave of Concept receivers, the others were 2.0, 3.5. At one time or another, I have owned all of them with the exception of the 3.5, 5.5. The 16.5 is the last receiver in my collection. All are very well built and IMO have sound to rival the best.

I use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluids, in conjunction with a VPI 16.5. It does a pretty good job, but it is always possible the record may simply be damaged. My loss is limited to 50 cents!
Long dwell times and repeated cleanings may be in order for heavy mold. At some point give the label a wipe with a Lysol cloth.

After some homework I can say that this is an 11W, the 11 was generally a portable unit. Apparently somewhat rare, early 60s. I’ll get it home and check out the functions.

Now I have two KLH pieces that are cosmetically very good but need work.
This Model Eleven works but, as expected, the pots are in need of cleaning and the stylus is shot- sounds very inarticulate and “skippy.”
It’ll be a nice flip if I can get it sounding right.

While I would not classify as one of my best finds, I picked up almost 50 albums this week from a few different GW's. At the first location I asked the pretty checker at the register " these are half off today right?" She looked at me kinda funny for a second and mumbled something quietly about hooking me up. I got about 15 albums for half price, the old adage is correct, it doesn't hurt to ask. I know, not really terribly exciting but I got a kick out of it. Now to try it on a $150 item...IMG_2364 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom