Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

How about my Khorns for $350 each? I had to buy a 1956 University cornerhorn with them for the same price, but what the hey, I've got a real cool patio speaker, too!! In the same deal, scored an original AR TT for $50, a Dual CS1258 for $35.

That's it for equipment, but out of the stacks of records I've gotten from thrift/pawn sources, I found an autographed program of the Dave Brubeck quartet. Signed by all the members, in minty shape, too. I think I paid about $30 for the big box, or it might have been two boxes.

goodwill aint bad

first,although i dont post very often i read ak almost every day.
its been a wonderful source of info and humour.
i've piced up a couple of goodies over the holidays.

technics st-8600 tuner 10$
sony str-av970 pro-logic amp with 2 paradigm titans 10$
wharfedale linton 2 speakers 10$
dynaco a-10 speakers 12$
it's been a good christmas!
belated holiday cheers to everyone on the site and best wishes for a great new year!

Jeez, hardrock, if I had scored one of those, I'd be bleating and gloating no end!

Oh, welcome to AK, and don't be afeared of posting!

does that mean i don't have to feel guilty about the rega planar 3 i got at the salvation army for 10$ last year? i feel better already

YEAH BABY!!!

... the A25s work PERFECTLY. And with a good scrubbing with a Brillo pad and lemon oil, they don't look bad! Except for a small gouge in the side of one, they're in remarkably good shape!

I'll have to say, that even though it might not be the biggest steal, possibly the most induplicable deal I've heard of at a thrift store (as in just TRY to find another one!), would have to be the customer of mine (he brought them in for re-furb, they needed woofer foam and the tweeters repaired), who found a pair of Pioneer HPM-200 speakers... the ones with DUAL 10" woofers, a 2" dome mid, a 5" diameter 4" high HPM tweeter cyinder and a 2" diameter 2" tall HPM supertweeter cylinder per cabinet... all for $35 for the pair. :eek:

Tell me anyone else that's EVER done that, will you??? :jawdrop:

He had one bad woofer, so I wound up replacing one woofer per cabinet with an "upgrade" replacement, I refoamed the other woofers, and reterminated the HPM cylinders... and MAN, these are some AMAZINGLY good speakers. Serious low bass, very efficient, easy amp load (the woofers were 16 ohm, so both in parallel were 8 ohms to the amp total), very tunable, very smooth, and extremely dynamic. What more can you really want??

Regards,
Gordon.

Thief!!

GordonW,

$3.50 for a pair of A-25's?:eek: I paid $12.00 for my pair and will probably never get rid of them. They just seem to work no matter what they are matched up with. Enjoy!!

john

Toss up between a Radio Shack STA2250 which has a power amp section that will handle 2 ohm loads with ease and a JVC SR-J301 that is in near perfect condition. Each was about $10 US. The RS tuner neds some attention but the preamp/amp is flawless. The JVC I don't use much simply b/c too many toys.

Favorite pickup was a Sony 3 tape deck copy switchbox that matches nicely with the Sony STR6065 and 6045 receivers I have. Adout $3US.

I'm not a serious looker since collecting or reselling is not a real part of the hobby for me.

I've had nearly all my electroncs from yard sales, thift stores, the side of the road, or the junk pile at a local repair shop.

Some of the ones I can think of right now are:

Technics SL-1100: yard sale, less than $5
Scott LK-72B amp: yard sale $10
6 original Advents from various places for at most $15 a pair all needed new foam
Early KLH model 6's: GW $8.50
Bose 901-V: yard sale $25
Bose 901-IV: side of the road
Bose 201-II: side of the road (the spider on one woofer was unglued)
Polk 10B's :repair shop, needed tweeters and 2 woofers, cost about $60 in parts
Sony CDP-507ESD: reapir shop, needed loading belt
Sony STR-GX96ES: repair shop, bad soldering
Pioneer VSX-9500S: ebay $30, cracked main board
Pioneer VSX-9700S: repair shop, shorted outputs used a junker for parts
Sony TC-WR801ES: $40

After all of you guys, I feel too taken...

aback to brag, but what the hey??!!

My best deals:

Thorens TD-145, complete, mint, in original box - $15 at a church rummage sale (a note said "no platter" - hah!)

Proton 300/301, good shape - $10 at the Surplus Exchange, just had to clean up the volume pot (I LOVE it!)

Bang & Olfusen 4800, dead turntable, dead tapedeck - $10 at the Surplus Exchange (same day!), but I sold the MMC20EN phono cartridge off it on eBay for $81!

Yamaha CR-1020, mint when I bought it at a garage sale for $5, but had to go in the shop (listening to it now as a power amp, but I think I prefer my Anthem Amp 1)

Proton AD-431 cassette deck, $10 at an audio shop's yard sale, and it works fine - a nice unit

Laz

I found a Technics SA 700 in a pawn shop for $69. I saw a couple of small kenwood receivers in a few thrift shops. I also saw a kenwod KR 4070 that was broken for $15 at Good Will. It would make a nice parts unit if anybody needed one.

It has been a great couple of weeks at the thrifts for me!! Right before X-mas I picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers in excellent shape. They sound awesome. :D

Today I am out wandering around with my two daughters and stop by this thrift and hear the usual complaints "ahhh Dad!! Do we have to go into another 'junk' store?" (They are learning this complaining from their Mom...I just know it ;) ) Anyway, I walk to the back and there is a large pair of speakers sitting there. Mosey over to them and they are Altec Lansing Model 15's. They are in great shape. Both woofers need new foam and one of them needs to be reconed (has a hole). They still sound very nice though!!

If anybody knows someone who can repair these I would appreciate it?

Not bad for a couple of weeks...and less than $75.00 for the two sets of speaks is even better!!!!

john

Pioneer CT-F9191 for....

$2.99!!!

While I'm paying, the next guy in line asks "does it work?". I said I had no clue, but for $2.99 it was worth the risk. The clerk said "Oh, it's fully guraranteed. You have 10 days to try it out. If you're not happy, bring it back."

I love my local Goodwill!

Works perfect, just need one center knob.

Clay

Wait!! There's more!!

The 9191 was actually last week.

Today, from the local purely-for-profit thrift shop, a pair of Allied 12" three-ways.

Nice hefty suckers, walnut veneer cabinets are absolutely perfect, grill cloth is perfect, even has both logo badges. $12.21 for the pair!

These usually had Utah drivers. I don't know if all the drivers are good, since I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. Even if they're not all good, the cabinets are worth it.

I just brought them in about 5 minutes ago, from where I had them hidden in the trunk of my daughter's car. I had to wait until my wife went to bed before I snuck them into the basement.

I'm soooooooooooo baaaaaaaaad!!!!

Clay

the best i found was a pair of klipshorns loaded with e/v 15"crome plated [don`t recall the model #],with 375 jbl for horns, cherrywood finish for 600.00, so the guy threw in another old speaker cabnet he had, turned out to be a western electric ,wich i promptly sold for 1200.00, it was at a yard sale

My favorite finds:
Marantz 125 tuner, found in garbage!

Rotel RA-1412 integrated amp $5.00 from a friend who closed his repair shop

Pioneer RT-707 $25 at a garage sale.

Dual CS5000 Turntable $30 from a friend, with 5 Beatles MFSL discs included!

Onkyo Grand Integra M508 amp $10 at a garage sale

Sansui G8000 Receiver $50 from a friend of a friend. ("My buddy bought a surround receiver and wants to sell his old one.")

Sansui AU-9900 integrated amp $5 from my friend with the reapair shop, in working condition.

Kenwood T-1000 tuner (Audio Purist Series) $30 at a garage sale.

Denon DCD-1530 CD player $5 at a garage sale. Needed a new spindle motor.

Kenwood Model 600 integrated amp $5 from my friend with the repair shop. Ok, I had to fix it and the power supply board was missing so I had to build a new one, but it was worth it!

Sansui 9090dB $5.00 at a garage sale with blown outputs.

Warren

The guy I work with, got SERIOUSLY lucky this week.

First, someone came in, and GAVE him a PERFECT Kenwood KR8200 receiver (120w/ch!)... looks almost like a KR9600, just a little older and smaller. Looks BRAND NEW, works perfectly! As if that wasn't enough, he also left a pair of Koss 1030 tower speakers (10" woofer, dual 5" mids, dual 1" dome tweeters with a bunch of switches, HUGE things, like 4 feet tall, 15" wide, 15" deep)... and other than some broken switches they seem to WORK as well!

Next, someone offered to trade him a working pair of JBL L100s, (missing grilles, but hey), for a recone job we did on a pair of JBL 125A 10" woofers... which we had used aftermarket parts on! Not bad, a WORKING pair of L100s for like $120 trade value!

Next, he finds a WORKING vintage Magnavox CD player (you know, the one everybody used to "POOGE" back in the day?), for $3... and you guessed it, it WORKS GREAT.

So, it's not just ME with the luck around here!!

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom