Best TUBE integrated amp under $1,000

bajaed

I posted a Jolida/Yaquin thread earlier. I recently read a review in a British Hi-Fi mag about a Yarland 34 that they loved.

Looking for the best tube choices to drive a pair of Energy RC-10's(92db) and a subwoofer. Will be running a Turntable, CD's through a BR player and possibly a stand alone CD player later.

I'm willing to upgrade tubes to help the sound. What would be the best choice to give that warm, rich tube sound to my music?

Last edited:
I posted a Jolida/Yaquin thread earlier. I recently read a review in a British Hi-Fi mag about a Yarland 34 that they loved.

Looking for the best choices to drive a pair of Energy RC-10's(92db) and a subwoofer. Will be running a Turntable, CD's through a BR player and possibly a stand alone CD player later.

I'm willing to upgrade tubes to help the sound. What would be the best choice to give that warm, rich tube sound to my music?

Thinking of a Fisher 500C

Jim

Well, I suspect you'll get quite a few recommendations depending on whether you prefer new product or vintage, how much power you believe you need, type of music, size of room, etc.

If you are considering the Yarland, I believe that it only has Aux/Line-level input so you'd need to add a phono preamp for your TT.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go new but I'm open to the right vintage amp. No problem getting a separate phono stage. The area is about 15x15 and is part of a finished basement. As I said, the speakers are rated 92db sensitivity in pairs.

Interested in what.people think are the best of the Chinese amps and if there are any other amps in that price range that can compete.

Yamaha A1, or Acurus DIA100/DIA150 if going for SS. IMHO
Regards,
Jim

How about a Fisher X-100B or X-202B (since you are looking for an integrated amplifier, not a receiver)?

-D

How about a Fisher X-100B or X-202B (since you are looking for an integrated amplifier, not a receiver)?

-D

+1 on The Fisher but I'd recommend the X-101-C with the 7591s. For me that was the pinnacle.

I must think so, I have two of them. :tresbon:

For vintage? Sherwood S5500. I have yet to hear anything from Fisher, Scott, or any of the other well-known brands that could top it.

Of course, you'd want to make sure it was COMPLETELY rebuilt (new power supply and coupling caps, output tubes tested thoroughly). These things ain't easy to rebuild (crowded as heck inside), but they're COMPLETELY WORTH IT, once it's done. Once you hear it, you'll know...

Other than that, if you can find a used Rogue Audio Cronus for about a grand, that would be worth it too. Those things just don't do anything wrong...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
Sansui AU-9500. What about a Dynaco SCA-35 or Fisher KX-200? Eico HF-81? I prefer Sansui integrateds over any other integrateds I have heard but that is my opinion. You can spend more but for what? Prettier cosmetics and sound that is not on par with the AU-9500.

I have been musing over the Bada dc-222 hybrid for some time. Not much info floating around on it, but what there is seems very positive. May be a good bet for the under $1000 range.

Excellent amp for a great price at the moment is the Dynaco SCA 35. Pretty nice iron driven by 6BQ5s. Can be had for under 3 bills. My two cents.

Add Acurus A250 w/mods.

Yamaha A1, or Acurus DIA100/DIA150 if going for SS. IMHO
Regards,
Jim

I would add the Acurus A250 with the proper modifications. This is a classically designed amp well built with a few problems that are easily remedied.
It has been critisized for being harsh and bright. But it's really a flat sound-and poor bass-mainly due to poor quality power supply caps. The input circuit wasn't designed properly either. Both are a easy fix for around $450, but if you figure you can get the amp for $300-$350 you are under your $1000.00.
Ken Easley Audio can fix these amps to their porper potential, and you will have a fantastic sounding-well built amp that will last you for years.
Any one who has this amp (or the smaller ones, as they use the same circuit design and parts for the most part)-I would seriously think about the modifications.

Last edited:
Just changed the title of the thread as I realized that I left "tube" out of the original title. Sorry.

What do people think of the $1,000 or less TUBE amps out there?

Back
Top Bottom