Best Tuner Ever??

May be out of left field, but the tuner on a Sansui 2000 is really nice, strong signals, but more important it is dead quiet and really just sounds very, very nice. Not the best ever, but damn good, thought it deserved an honorable mention.

The MR71 is definitely in the top rung and the best sound in the house now. I had a Scott 310E which had a tad better sound but the relay clicking was annoying - had to sell it for the kid's college bills.

My favorite solid solid unit is my Sony ST-5000FW, refurbished by Warren Bender.

Just got a cheap and clean Yamaha T-2 for which I have high expectations. Getting it aligned and relamped now. Ordered a set of modern op-amps for my Sony ST-J75. It's a good tuner but the audio stage op-amp is a very early model and the best of the current designs might improve it yet.

Central NH on a hilltop.
What's so amazing about 500 miles on AM?
And on FM sometimes I listen to 107.1 in Toronto Ontario, and a Jazz station in Baltimore.

Central NH on a hilltop.
What's so amazing about 500 miles on AM?
And on FM sometimes I listen to 107.1 in Toronto Ontario, and a Jazz station in Baltimore.

There's nothing amazing about 500 miles on AM, hadn't questioned that. It's the FM reception of 500 miles that's amazing, since FM signal is line of sight. Your location on a hill probably mitigates the situation.

Edit: I used to live on a hill in Southern Maine. Not very high, ~ 240' in elevation. However, in winter, on a clear morning, I could see what appeared to be Mt. Washington reflecting the sun back. It was a brilliant white peak. As you know, Mt. Washington is the highest peak in New England, so my theory was that this was a good line of sight. It is probably 100 miles away but at 6288' there isn't anything to block it.

Last edited:
Guys
I have to nominate my Accuphase T100.
I have had or have Kenwood KT8300
McIntosh MR 71 & MR 65b The Accupahse is my favorite then the MR 71. The Kenwood is one hell of a tuner too.
These tuners have outlasted many others.
bob

or a great antenna

On a tall tower, atop a hill listening to a grandfathered 100K watts station with just the right skip.

I've got an APS13 on a 35 foot tower, and yes I can receive stations at 100 plus miles, but most of the time they are stronger stations and nothing I want to listen too. All the distant stations I want to listen too are under 3K watts and have an effective range of 20-30miles. I can get them on occasion, but usually with peaks and fades and a lot of noise. Under those circumstances, I listen online.

ReVox

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the Tuners from ReVox. I own a B-760 tuner and it's nothing short of amazing in almost every aspect. I also favor the B-780 Tuner that is the larger version and again just a monster.

Here's one from left field, Akai AT93 Reference Master. It has been in TIC's on deck circle for years, but has never been reviewed or in a shootout. Here's what they do have to say about it:
==========================================================

Akai AT-93 (1988, $600, front 1, front 2, open, inside, Audio review) search eBay
The very rare AT-93 was Akai's most expensive and perhaps best tuner. Our contributor Miklos reports, "I bought mine in Germany and it was sitting in storage for about two years waiting for me to find a schematic to change the de-emphasis to 75 µS. Since I couldn't find a diagram, I finally decided to do it anyway. The tuner has a completely discrete audio output stage, with about eight transistors in each channel. The de-emphasis is sort of a unusual one (balanced?), requiring one to change four capacitors, instead the usual two. The unit uses quality components, like copper film capacitors - I've never seen anything like it in any other tuner. It is running now, and has heavenly sound." Our contributor Ray D. calls the AT-93 "an ergonomic and functional masterpiece: lots of functions, lots of automation and manual overrides for everything. Brilliant." The AT-93 usually sells for $250-285 on eBay, with a recent low of $127 in 11/06 and a recent high of $395 in 3/08 as two guys ran it up from $117.

==============================================================

Out of the 20 or so tuners I've owned, it's the best sounding and one of the best DXers. I have one in my main system and a back up new one in the box.
The reason it's so rare is the Reference Master series was introduced right before Mitsubishi acquired Akai, and the the line was so vastly superior to the crappy rack systems Mitsubishi was offering at the time that Mitsubishi decided to pull them off the market. The entire US inventory was sold off to Mitsubishi employees at about half of dealer cost. I bought ten or so and sold all but two of them to friends and relatives at my cost, which was around $200.

Attachments

• SNV10011.jpg
    SNV10011.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the Tuners from ReVox. I own a B-760 tuner and it's nothing short of amazing in almost every aspect. I also favor the B-780 Tuner that is the larger version and again just a monster.
Yes, of the solid state brigade I'd agree but remember, you're posting on a forum whose members are mostly in the US and in the US they've yet to catch up to Revox, let alone Nagra and so many other high-end European brands.

Hehe maybe you are right Peter :D Although I think it my love for ReVox also has some support from my German family roots hah

Hehe maybe you are right Peter :D Although I think it my love for ReVox also has some support from my German family roots hah
I thought Revox was a Swiss company? Some Revox gear wasn't so worthy. Most of their amplifiers were nothing special. I ran several of their real to real tape decks and they sure were very special. My last, a B 77 if memory serves me, was stolen along with a collection of private concert recordings I can never replace and the Revox tuner and every other piece of audio gear I owned. :gigglemad:gigglemad:tears::tears:

Back
Top Bottom