1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Best turntable for entry level audiophile?

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by bluenote79, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Brett a

Brett a ~◦●○o0o○●◦~ Subscriber

Awesome. Good call.

Well, that's going to be fun. And it will leave you with the real-world experience of comparing two popular 'tables side by side. I'll be interested to hear what you find. Maybe start a new thread for that report?

bluenote79 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bluenote79

bluenote79 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's a great idea. I will do that. It may be a while before I get to it as I want to have ample listening time, plus I have my first child on the way...so life is about to get interesting!

3. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey, Brett! I was just wonderin' how life was treatin' you?!
    Great to see a post from you!
    Hope all's well!

4. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats Bluenote!
    Was that Thorens one of the local ones I had mentioned? Either way I'm glad you got something you are happy with!

bluenote79 likes this.
  5. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Hasn't everyone wanted a Thorens at some time in their life lol?

Here's mine, a bit newer version of your new deck, it has a NOS Pickering XV-15 1200E/D1200 mounted. The picture below is actually a stock photo, mine is currently out of rotation for the Kennys.

maxresdefault (6).jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    bluenote79 likes this.
  6. bluenote79

Yes! It was. Thanks for bringing it up. I had seen the TD 165 posted locally, but this TD 160 is in even better shape, and with the brand new cartridge it was actually a really great deal. Very happy.

7. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

After seeing your pics I should have got it for myself.... :D

Just passing the karma on since I have had more than my share of great pickups over the years.

Enjoy it and if/when you are ready for another upgrade just let me know what you are looking for and I will keep my eyes open for you.

bluenote79 likes this.
  8. balkwun

balkwun New Member

You already have best choices in your list and the Project Debut Carbon DC is a good choice for the new users. The ratings are also good and the product is budget friendly too. Another product that you can consider is Audio-Technica LP120BK, this model falls under $300. I think you can find many good options under $700 and for more models see this guide https://www.reviewpen.com/turntables-under-500/

9. bluenote79

Thanks Wolverine! The karma is alive and well on Audio Karma and especially within our little corner of the world. Excited to be a part of this group and now hearing the music as it was intended.

10. FB night

FB night Member

Congrats on finding a beautiful Thorens. Finding one in that condition, wow.

bluenote79 likes this.
  11. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

That Thorens is lovely. You won't be disappointed with the mmf 2.3 as long as you swap the cartridge out for some thing less crispy.