Best uncomplicated Japanese "audiophile" TT

RemoWilliams

Addicted Member
New to vinyl, had some great advice up until now after purchasing a Pioneer PL15R and JVC QL A5 that together set me back 175.00 which, from what I have seen available locally is below average pricing even though I needed to go through them ( lubricating, cleaning, new belt, stylus ).

Sooner or later the desire for a higher end model is probably going to become a reality, may take awhile to save up considering my budget, hence the two TTs mentioned. I know they can be quite decent for someone just getting back into records but for future reference what should I be looking out for? Something considered excellent in terms of playback ability, but lacks much of the complication I alluded to in the title, unless exceptionally reliable.

Trouble with a good number of the DD models is a bit of over engineering and at times unobtainable chips for instance, or servo/electronically controlled and/or dampened tonearms. Having VTL is nice as well. I assume of course that DD would be preferable, though by mentioning uncomplicated that would most likely shift over to the possibility of belt drive - I admit to leaning towards DD however.

At the moment, as examples I noticed these locally, none over 500.00, most 375 - 450.00 with the odd one needing some attention, such as the SL630 :

Technics SL630
Sony PS600
Denon DP30L
Marantz 610
Denon DP 2000
JVC QL Y3F
Sony PS X7
Sansui SR838 - a bit over budget
Luxman PD289
Akai AP 307

Last edited:
"Sansui SR383 - a bit over budget"

I don't think Sansui made a 383. If you meant SR838, it's superb. Very uncomplicated. And gorgeous IMO. It's a true 'audiophile' TT — I've used mine with $2–4K cartridges: I have 'better' more expensive turntable/tonearms, and the 838 holds it own (eg compared to the famous Linn LP12). And I prefer DD for its rock-steady pitch, which the 'better' Linn couldn't match.

It has good simple features such as: the speed can be either Quartz-controlled or manually set, and you can lower the stylus into the groove from the front, after the dustcover is down, and also lift it when the record ends. So easy to use.

Good as it is, I must say goodbye, I just have too many alas...

Slight oversight there! Yes, the Sansui is the SR838 - sounds like a very promising turntable, not likely to find many locally though!

The Japanese consumer electronics companies made many mid level and high price turn tables.

Not sure which one would qualify as " audiophile " ? :idea:

All of the Technics SL series I came across were 1200s and out of my price range, might see one ( SL 1100 ) at some point in the next few months so will keep it in mind.

Above average capabilities - cost vs performance etc., especially when considering something vintage and used for 500.00 or less. Some turntables reach that certain level that puts them in a higher category, probably some nice sleepers out there I imagine.

A
All of the Technics SL series I came across were 1200s and out of my price range, might see one ( SL 1100 ) at some point in the next few months so will keep it in mind.
At one time Guitar Center could order a pre owned SL 1200 for you at that price range, plus or minus a little bit.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Kenwood, but if interested keep in mind these are fairly large tables that take up some real estate. Both are within budget with patience, either could be your endgame table.

KD770D, kind of rare but they do show up from time to time.
2a892361ca9597edcb6a3125d08d6b53.jpg
maxresdefault (11).jpg

KD500 TOTL in its day, came without an arm so will have a boutique arm of the era installed often worth more than the price of the table. This has a Grace G707 installed, the table was referred to as "The Rock" due to its concrete resin base.
20181124_095727.jpg
kenwood kd500 top.JPG

This table was later replaced by the KD600 which added quartz lock to the speed control.

Last edited:
So many pretty turntables out there, must be something at least as good or close to the SL 1200 that simply does not have the following ( and price ) as the Technics does. How can one tell I am allowing myself to get carried away before I have even used either of the turntables I have? Perhaps one of them will surprise me.

Another aspect of more than a few turntables is that they can be very uncommon as well, obviously a much smaller customer base for the near or TOTL tables.

You're going to get there eventually. Ebay search "AR turntable". The one you want is right there. Orange platter mat. I'll hate that you got there first.

I assume of course that DD would be preferable, though by mentioning uncomplicated that would most likely shift over to the possibility of belt drive - I admit to leaning towards DD however.

At the moment, as examples I noticed these locally, none over 500.00, most 375 - 450.00 with the odd one needing some attention, such as the SL630 :

Luxman PD289

Luxman PD-289 $300.00

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/pd-289.shtml

Go test it out! :thumbsup:

A good boutique brand!

Back
Top Bottom