Best under $250 CD player with remote and headphone jack

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by bionic, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bionic

bionic Member

Time to retire my combo vhs/dvd Panasonic as I am getting my marantz 2230 amp recapped as well as have some killer box sets on their way and instead of getting a seperate dac was thinking of just getting a new CD player with a half decent DAC that is sure to trump my ancient Panasonic. What can I get with remote and headphone jack for under $250

Please register to disable this ad.

2. prighello

prighello AK Subscriber Subscriber

Two that come to mind are the onkyo c-7030 and teac pd650? There are not a whole lot of cdps under $250. I've had the onkyo for many years now and am very happy with it. The headphone amp in it is just okay though compared to a dedicated one.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Active Member

I really enjoy the Onkyo C-7030 as well. It's in my secondary system and it's a rock-solid performer that (IMHO) easily keeps pace with or beats many higher-end players from the '90s and '00s, for a fraction of what those cost new, and for less than what many of those still go for used.

I would not, however, depend on any reasonably priced CD player as a direct headphone source for critical listening. It might be fine, but it might not. Power and output impedance are a big deal when it comes to headphone amps/jacks. If you have high-impedance headphones, a lot of built-in headphone amps/jacks can sound anemic. You might have luck listening to the CD player via your recapped 2230's headphone jack - you'll still be getting the benefit fo the CD player's DAC, and you'll also be getting the Marantz's well-regarded sound in the chain too.

4. bionic

bionic Member

I don't really need the headphone output that much. I have a headphone output on the Marantz and am using a pair of Grado SR 60 with it. Will look into the C7030

5. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Used Emotiva CD player. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

osubuc45 and bionic like this.
  6. bionic

bionic Member

Locally I can get a Shanling S100 which is exactly like a Music Hall CD25. It is going for $150. Should I jump on it?

osubuc45 likes this.

7. osubuc45

osubuc45 Active Member

Sounds like a great deal !

8. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

All originally $1000 or more, all purchased for $80 or less.

Sony DVP NS900V
    sony900v.gif

Sony DVP NS999ES
    x158dvp999s-f_LD.jpeg

Sony DVP CX777ES
    x158DVPX777-f.jpeg

Audioraven and David_NC like this.
  9. gongli

gongli Musician + Audio Lover

10. bigx5murf

bigx5murf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ime with a low budget, it's very hard to beat a high end dvd or hd-dvd player. They're near worthless on the used market. But they have high quality DACs.

Check of the oppo DV-970HD, which also happens to play SACD. I currently still use a DV-971H, also a Toshiba HD-A1 (although this one is a bit slow to turn on).

11. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Oddly enough I prefer the non ES model, the DVP NS900V over the others, although it's VERY close. Still looking for one in silver that's not $300 from Russia lol.

David_NC likes this.

12. Final_Baton

Final_Baton Active Member

Interesting, I used to have an Oppo DV-971H but never thought about trying it for CD listening. It's with an ex-gf now though, so I'm not getting that back, lol. maybe if I stumble on another one for cheap

13. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I really like my Onkyo C7030. It also has digital out so you can use it with an external DAC if you ever want to.

14. bigx5murf

bigx5murf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would look for an oppo DV-970HD, you should be able to get one around $50 give or take. It'll play CD, SACD, DVD-A, and even mp3s burned onto a CDR.

15. David_NC

David_NC AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't have any experience with the two ES models mentioned, but I picked up a pristine 900V a couple weeks ago for $50. The seller originally had it listed for $30 and upped it to $50 after doing some eBay price research. I really like the player. I don't use the video functions, but CD's and SACD's sound great. The headphone output is very usable, and the unit is responsive (much quicker than the old BD player I was using previously on this system!) I can't think of a better unit for the price I paid, though I'd be OK with paying more for one in condition comparable to mine.

Grenadeslio and Audioraven like this.