Best under $50 audio purchase I Ever made - the Pioneer SE-A1000

Mine should be here Monday. Cannot wait. Already picking out my favorite records and cueing up songs for the Pioneer 1011L RTR. Then, to those headphones.

Should sound SCHWEEEEEET!

i have had mine for a few days now

they are amazing ... best $35 I have spend on headphones

I happended to have a change to check out some Sen 650's yesterday along with my Pioneer SE-A1000 the sound was similar...very similar considering the $35 cost to me and the cost of a pair of HD650's these pioneers are no joke.

Sound stage is very good, bass is surprising for open headphones /mids and highs seem pretty nice to me... no complaints (not for bassheads still however) comfort (for me excellent).

Computer gaming is fantastic with these.... if you think you may want a pair of these I'd say do it before the run out or go back up in price.

people with small heads may have fit issues however but it appears there is a simple headband mod that should be able to sort that out for most.... in my case the SE-A1000s fit my sort of big head rather well out of the box.

Last edited:
I had some big old school Koss headphones back in the 70's. I want try listening with headphones again and these look like a good entry level choice. Thanks for the reviews.

For the price they are an amazing bargain. They are easy to drive and sound good on a wide range of sources. Even my 100WPC+ don't inject hum or hiss.

If you buy them mr.jones I would be interested to hear what you think about them.

I got mine yesterday (Way to GO, Amazon! 53 bucks) and at first, I was underwhelmed. My cheapie $20 dollar sennheisers were sounding nearly as good. Did the mod to tighten up things, and sat back late last night and spun Steely Dan...."The Royal Scam"...not the whole album, just that tune. It just so happens that is the last track on what is really a beat up copy.

Didn't matter. Magic happened. I hear the tinkling of random chords by Fagen near the end...the low bang on the piano is DEAD center, that persistent guitar riff is on the left.

It was very VERY nice.

While I don't have much headphone experience (other than 12 years using them in radio) I did realize one thing....THE LOUDNESS BUTTON DEFINITELY IN THE "OFF" POSITION! That was the initial trouble.

Perhaps a good dac with headphone ability is the answer. Cannot remember if that Grant Fidelity I want has that..:scratch2:

Fantastic set of 'phones. Grab them whilst you can.

I got mine on Friday and I've listen to a few hours with them. I like them quite a bit. They are a bit loose on my 7 5/8" head, but extremely comfortable. I'm listening to The Civil Wars album Barton Hollow right now. The harmonies really shine with these phones, and they sound "wide."

My wife broke out laughing when she saw me with them on, so they don't get points for style.

Easily worth the $53 I paid. I've spent much more money on very stupid things that I never enjoyed as much as I've already enjoyed these headphones. I don't have much experience with high-end phones, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Tony

I've noticed they sound better when I sit them low on my head (push them towards the ground)

Aside from a funky fit, they really do sound nice.

I got mine a few days ago, but finaily opened them up this morning after returning from a conference i was attending.

Sadly, the right channel is dead. I heard it crackle on a couple of times but i cant seem to find a weak spot in the cable or connectors. Amazon seller contacted. hoping to get these swapped out. Listening to the let channel only sounds pretty good. :p

Fit wise, they don't feel like they are going to fall off, but if i switch from looking straight ahead to looking down to my phone in my lap, i can feel them shift forward on my head a bit, so that will make me want to try the headband mod once I have a pair that works properly.

Shipped the defective SE-A1000's back today and after a good recommendation, I ordered a $288 pair of beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm headphones. I figured I would jump in get first after all. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Shipped the defective SE-A1000's back today and after a good recommendation, I ordered a $288 pair of beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm headphones. I figured I would jump in get first after all. :)

fair enough.. bummer your SE-A1000's were duds... I'm listening to mine right now ..but OTOH exciting about the DT990s they should be pretty nice indeed.

fair enough.. bummer your SE-A1000's were duds... I'm listening to mine right now ..but OTOH exciting about the DT990s they should be pretty nice indeed.

Yes, I'm hoping. Though, if the se-a1000's pop back up under $40 again, maybe I'll give em another shot.

I have read a lot about these headphones, and I believe they are just the kind of sound I am looking for. I put an order in today, and they should be here Saturday (my b-day!). Looking forward to it - and I hope they don't disappoint! :D

IBJamon

Got mine two weeks ago.....

:hdphones::hdphones::hdphones::hdphones::hdphones::hdphones::hdphones:

I just got these today. Tried breaking them in a bit - really opened them up a lot! I hope they continue to get better. :)

Those who say these have no bass are nuts...

Anyway, not bad so far. They are really comfy (I have a big head) and yes, you can hear the room around you.

Not bad at all. I'll try to do a better comparison with what I have soon.

IBJamon

I don't need another pair of cans. Seeing this thread though always updating is killing me!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I have to admit I have a weakness for flavor of the month headphones (the reason I don't frequent Head-fi anymore) and purchased a set of these headphones a couple of weeks ago. They really are excellent headphones and an absolute steal at the going rate. No, they aren't quite as good as something like well driven Sennheiser HD-580/600/650 but they are very well rounded and easy to drive.

I've been doing very well since last summer where I bought cans from MeElectronics, Superlux, Monoprice and others. I've really been holding it together.

This thread is making me want to fall off the wagon again.

Back
Top Bottom