Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

They probably would go really well with a 650. They're very efficient for their size. I bet they'd match even better with an 80 series, seeing how they have a LOT of low-end. Too much for my taste.

They probably would go really well with a 650. They're very efficient for their size. I bet they'd match even better with an 80 series, seeing how they have a LOT of low-end. Too much for my taste.

You're probably right about the 80 series...time to look for another Pioneer receiver.:D

I was very impressed with the Pioneer CS-88's I had (and traded to my dad for his old Technics SB-8080's). Very warm sounding, but articulate. I didn't like my HPM-100's nearly as much. They would be the perfect classic rock speakers through a vintage setup, but I thought they were way too harsh in the upper mid and treble.

I have a pair of CS-99A, each with a Heil driver perched on top. The Fisher tube amp makes it all warm and fuzzy. But even more important than that, the speaker is accurate and sounds great. Also, you can easily drive it to ear-splitting levels, without rattles or distortion on less than 40 wpc. Great when you are the emergency replacement DJ at your friend's wedding, I suppose.
The 2nd pair is driven by a Pioneer SX-626 receiver. Not quite as warm and fuzzy.

Make them loud, and they are far from bass-shy. Otherwise, up the bass a notch.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop

I've owned a couple pairs of CS-99A's and I also have the HPM-100's I restored... The CS-99A's are definite sleepers if you like the early 70's styling with the lattice grilles. The HPM-100's are better sounding though IMHO.

Here S-1010 with DSS-9, maybe the two best Pioneer speakers (without exclusive):

im002372yi3.jpg

im002370ic1.jpg

Pioneer hpm 150 or pioneer tz9, I have the 150's and they are a real beauty in all the ranges, bass is deep, rich, and surprisingly fast for the 40cm carbon fibre / paper woofer, sound stage and definition are fantastic, very easy to loose the speakers, people often think the surround sound is on... the tz9's hit a bit harder, have a smoother midrange but the high end and soundstage are a bit under the 150's, one other thing I like about the 150's is that they have a beautiful rich bass at low listening volume, you don't have to crank them to get good sound, but you certainly can

Availability is the problem. CS-99a and HPM-100 are the most common of mentioned. Most folks would be very happy with either. For me the best value is HPM-1100. I was patient and over time bought CS-99a, HPM-100(2), HPM-1100 each set $200. I may have overpaid for HPM-200 but oh well. As I said the 1100s are my best bang for buck.

I haven't heard the HPM 200's but if Tubed says they are good, that is a member that knows sound.

I have had HPM 900's, 1500's and 150's.

I liked the 150's the most powered with Epicure M1 amp but I recently sold the 150's and enjoying small 2 way vintage now.

My personal preference for speakers now is if I can't carry them, I don't want them.

Never got to audition a pair, but HPM 200's always had an esoteric quality to them. I liked the idea of an hpm tweeter and an hpm super tweeter as well as a regular woofer plus a deep bass woofer. Large rascals too.

I haven't heard the HPM 200's but if Tubed says they are good, that is a member that knows sound.

I have had HPM 900's, 1500's and 150's.

I liked the 150's the most powered with Epicure M1 amp but I recently sold the 150's and enjoying small 2 way vintage now.

My personal preference for speakers now is if I can't carry them, I don't want them.
Well stevo, I certainly have not heard the 150s, the other high quality Pioneers nor many other great vintage speakers.
But I do know the sound qualities of speakers I have or had.
I do believe the HPM-200 is a level or two above most of those, those of which are deemed as very desirable vintage speakers. I can name names;)
I have yet to come across a better vintage speaker.

I have a pair of HPM-60's that I'm currently redoing. I agree with a previous post that the mid-range is too forward. I put new caps and resistors in them, one speaker at a time to see if there was a difference.
From this:

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG
To this:

IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
There was a nice change in the mid-range. It had pulled back enough that it wasn't annoying anymore.
They sound pretty nice hooked up to a re-built SX-850. I've seen pictures of siamac's Pioneer gear. Amazing.

Last edited:
I didn't like my HPM-100's nearly as much. They would be the perfect classic rock speakers through a vintage setup, but I thought they were way too harsh in the upper mid and treble.

That was my experience too - not a bad speaker, decent bass, but definitely not up to the hype.

I have a pair of RG 150's with liquid cooled midrange and tweeters. I re coned them a few years back and they have a real decent sound. I also have a pair of SP 104's, nothing special, but work good for shop speakers. We've moved so my stereo setup is now down in the basement in a 13 x 24 room so I am thinking about going with some smaller speakers.

Back
Top Bottom