Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by cbret3500, May 22, 2007.

1. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Pioneer ElitE TZ-9LTD. 1992 model, only made the one year. Subtle but significant upgrades to mid driver, x-over and cab.
    IMG_0870.JPG

2. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

I agree with the HPM 150's....

My brothers got a 1250 with a four speaker system sporting 150's and with the volume at center mast a large amount of tight bass is part of a large soundstage. Probably the best Pioneer speaker to use with an SX-1250 from what I've heard and my brother is always finding different speakers.

3. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't see where the Pioneer CS-A700 speakers have been mentioned. I listen to ambient and neo-classical music at lower volumes (due only to listening space). The CS-A700 may be a basic speaker, but the separation of sound has these as my go-to speakers. I have a pair of JBL speakers that give a great sound with a unity of parts, but the CS-A700s give a stronger separation of parts listened to at the same time.

bberkom likes this.
  4. Thedonald59

Thedonald59 New Member

I've had my HPM-1100s for 35 years now and they still peel paint off the walls. Awesome product!

5. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I picked up a pair of these CS-A700's this year, rebuilt the crossovers with Dayton poly caps and new binding posts, and I use them in my classroom setup. I really love how they sound, not to mention how they look. Very efficient, and I agree the separation and imaging are excellent with these.
    IMG_6645.JPG

6. woofercooker

woofercooker AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the CS 700g with the Dayton precision poly caps and agree bberkom and welcomdmat. More or less the same speaker but with vinyl wrap, very good imaging and separation. I also have the CS-A500 with Jantzen superior caps and they have even better seperation and imaging. Very good speakers in my opinion.

7. woofercooker

woofercooker AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey mhardy! The project 100A is more or less the same speaker on the far left in my avatar (MCS 8225) Uses the same tweet and mid the woofer part # is W 535 for the pioneer and W 530 for the MCS. Made in USA by United Speaker. Decent sound....

8. manu et deo

manu et deo I'm loving it! Subscriber

I have some CS-77s and after the recap, a little demin insulation and resizing the port they get low enough for me;)

9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

10. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

11. jameswicks

jameswicks AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm looking to buy a pair of Pioneer CS-A700's to go with my Pioneer SA-1000, SF-700, and 2x SM-700's. If you all know of someone looking to sell, please send 'em my way.
    Kindest regards, Jim

12. pognoot

pognoot Well-Known Member

I also have the HPM-150s hooked to an SX-1250. Nice pairing for sure!

13. pognoot

pognoot Well-Known Member

Did you recap the 150s? I did mine, much smoother and better stereo imaging.

14. centsless

centsless Well-Known Member

No, I haven't yet. Is it much of a hassle to change them? I haven't even looked inside them to see what crossover is there. I have done several HPM-100' s. What caps are in there?

15. Cruiser100

Cruiser100 New Member

The problem with the CS-99A is the small cabinet design. People who’ve own them usually complain about the sloppy bass. They also have the tendency to resonate, which is incredibly annoying.

16. malden

malden Super Member

another vote for the CS-63DX. Very natural sounding and extremely efficient.

17. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Yes! Finally... All the talk about HPM-blah-blah and CS-boo-boo stuff bore me. Consumer grade Pioneer POS. Exclusive!

These are the Pioneer speakers that have plagiarized their designs from REAL speakers and they look and sound like REAL Speakers!

upload_2017-10-22_10-22-3.png
    upload_2017-10-22_10-23-1.png
    upload_2017-10-22_10-24-44.png
    upload_2017-10-22_10-25-43.png

18. Cruiser100

Cruiser100 New Member

As I recall, Pioneer did not sell very many of their ‘exclusive’ monitors in the 1980’s because studios wanted JBL.

19. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

I believe you are correct. I have never seen or heard of any studio having Pioneer equipment... it never really was a "professional" brand. It was mostly marketed for consumer home use...

20. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Pioneer also owns TAD which are considered top of the line in any circle.