Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

The problem with the CS-99A is the small cabinet design. People who’ve own them usually complain about the sloppy bass. They also have the tendency to resonate, which is incredibly annoying.

Where did you get this drivel?
Their only drawback is a too-small cabinet, limiting the low-end.

I've been into the 63DXs recently. My 2nd pair as I regretted selling the 1st. Impressive! I'd love to have some 99As someday to compare.

I'm very happy with my Pioneer CS-A700s. I use the 3-way speaker system, splitting the high, mid, and low through a cross over network.

Kindest regards, Jim Wicks
South Florida, USA

I'm very happy with my Pioneer CS-A700s. I use the 3-way speaker system, splitting the high, mid, and low through a cross over network.

Kindest regards, Jim Wicks
South Florida, USA

That's really interesting. I have set mine up using the 2 way setup, but never the three. When I bought mine, I was told that the three way was there at the demand of the Japanese market were bi-amping was better than driving with a single amp, and tri-amping was better than better than bi-amping.

Pioneer also owns TAD which are considered top of the line in any circle.

And Dodge owns Mercedes ...
Still doesn't make a Citation or a Colt a cool car...

I've had and used TAD equipment, and it is respectable stuff. Did TAD make any speakers ? :dunno:

I've got a pair of CS-R700's. Have a pair of 500's too. Good speakers.

The CS-R700s were the last Pioneer speakers that I let go of... I had them for years... They sounded very Altec-ee to me. Loved them! But a Pioneer collector offered me much more than they were worth to me... so I said good buy.

No worries. I thought the Exclusive. line is TAD. Edit, i just went through the tread again and see that line is Pioneer.

Before i went to the JBL 2441 CDs on my Edgarhorns I tryed the TAD 4002 (what ever the 2" version is) an they did not sound very good. I think they need the horns designed for them.

The CS-R700s were the last Pioneer speakers that I let go of... I had them for years... They sounded very Altec-ee to me. Loved them! But a Pioneer collector offered me much more than they were worth to me... so I said good buy.
They're getting new caps and possibly crossovers if needed.

They're getting new caps and possibly crossovers if needed.

most likely the inductors are fine... just new resistors and caps is all I'd do. The entire crossover is pretty beefy for Pioneer... I've seen quite a few, just replace the ceramic resistors and caps.... and maybe even all those don't really need it.

I listen to my CS-63DX re-caped with a Sansui 5000x and find them very nice!
..........................................................................................................................................................................................
AMPS: Marantz: 4270,2220,2245,Model Twenty Six,Model Twenty-Two., Dynaco ST-70,PAT-4 Sansui 5000x,G8700DB
Onkyo: A-10,T-9,Delta Amp 5160, Sony: TA-E2000ESD,STR-GX10ES, Pioneer::SX-D5000,SX-434
SPEAKERS: KLH-6, Dynaco-A25, AR-2a, EPI-m10, Klipsch KG4, Advent (OLA), AR-4, JBL C-38 Baron, KLH-17,
Pioneer CS-63DX, Boston Acoustic A70,A150

I listen to my CS-63DX re-caped with a Sansui 5000x and find them very nice!
..........................................................................................................................................................................................
AMPS: Marantz: 4270,2220,2245,Model Twenty Six,Model Twenty-Two., Dynaco ST-70,PAT-4 Sansui 5000x,G8700DB
Onkyo: A-10,T-9,Delta Amp 5160, Sony: TA-E2000ESD,STR-GX10ES, Pioneer::SX-D5000,SX-434
SPEAKERS: KLH-6, Dynaco-A25, AR-2a, EPI-m10, Klipsch KG4, Advent (OLA), AR-4, JBL C-38 Baron, KLH-17,
Pioneer CS-63DX, Boston Acoustic A70,A150
I like the CS-63DX better than my HPM-100's. Brighter but they do lack some bass. Easily rectified by just increasing the bass knob or using the HPM's on B. These speakers rule and are now my mains.

Back in the day, ( 1973-1975 ) while stationed in Germany, we were exposed to all the newest and greatest stereo equipment of the day. When going to the giant PX in Nuremberg, Germany, my biggest heart-throb at that time was the JBL Century 100's. But, then-as-now, my champagne taste was not supported by my beer pocket book. After much research and anguish, I purchased a pair of Pioneer CS-R700's and never looked back. One advantage of being housed in a barracks with a bunch of other guys, was being able to listen to all the different systems and the components that they were made up of. After buying the Pioneers, I "never" regretted my decision.
Clean,Crisp, with great bass response. They got away from me as the years past, but I'm glad to say, ( thanks to ebay ) I am now the proud owner of not just one pair, but two. Not to discount anyone else"s choice, after all....it's all in the hearing, IMHO these are some of the best speakers ever built. If a little research is done, you'll discover that these are one of Pioneer's first attempts that led them to TAD...........Happy Listening!

I have wondered what kind of improvement should be expected if I rebuild the crossovers on my CS99A. Problem is all the parts necessary to rebuild four. I would change out all those odd value capacitors and probably replace the ferrite core chokes with air core, as many say they sound better.
In all these 40 years of ownership, the only thing I have done to the speakers is remove the crossovers to install binding posts. It was not because I wanted to use fatter wire. It was because the old posts were making poor contact on the circuit boards.

Back
Top Bottom