Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

I was never a big fan of the HPM 100s but I am a big fan of the HPM 200s. A guy I knew had a pair back in the mid 80s, he offered them to me for $250. I still kick myself in the ass for passing on them.

Would the
Pioneer CS-700G sound better than the Polk 7b I’m using with my SX 1250 ? Guy is selling a mint pair for $65 near me.

It would kinda depend on your age and what your ear perceives as descent sound. I bought my original Pioneer CS-R700's back in the early 70's, At the time, I thought they sounded as good as any JBL speaker, ( and still do ). No matter what the stereo set-up is, they never lie. The vintage Pioneers have a deep, rich sound of their own, and for $65.00, I would grab them as fast as I could. If you absolutely don't like them, I believe you could sell them for 3 times that much............Good Luck........Russ

It would kinda depend on your age and what your ear perceives as descent sound. I bought my original Pioneer CS-R700's back in the early 70's, At the time, I thought they sounded as good as any JBL speaker, ( and still do ). No matter what the stereo set-up is, they never lie. The vintage Pioneers have a deep, rich sound of their own, and for $65.00, I would grab them as fast as I could. If you absolutely don't like them, I believe you could sell them for 3 times that much............Good Luck........Russ
Thanks Russ
Bob

I might be wrong, but some of these Pioneer speakers are ported and some of them are acoustic suspension. One of the two I do not tend to like in my space with my equipment.

That does not mean there is anything wrong, but it seems to me that there should be two different discussions.

I have owned CS-R700s and I've owned CS-A700s.

(Additionally, I have be away from this forum and its threads for some time -- forgive any lack of discussion knowledge)

There is one that I like hand-and-fist over the other, but they are very different in construction. They are both Pioneer.

Last edited:
Sooo, which do you prefer?
I might be wrong, but some of these Pioneer speakers are ported and some of them are acoustic suspension. One of the two I do not tend to like in my space with my equipment.

That does not mean there is anything wrong, but it seems to me that there should be two different discussions.

I have owned CS-R700s and I've owned CS-A700s.

(Additionally, I have be away from this forum and its threads for some time -- forgive any lack of discussion knowledge)

There is one that I like hand-and-fist over the other, but they are very different in construction. They are both Pioneer.

And Dodge owns Mercedes ...
Still doesn't make a Citation or a Colt a cool car...

I've had and used TAD equipment, and it is respectable stuff. Did TAD make any speakers ? :dunno:

DaimlerAG sold off Chrysler back in 2007... I don't believe Chrysler ever 'owned' Mercedes, Mercedes has always been a subsidiary of DaimlerAG, but they were 'merged' with Chrysler for a short period...

I have a pair of HPM 100s, that I like ok, but they're not my favorites - and not Pioneer's best, I'd imagine... Been considering moving them along...

{Edit - sold the HPM-100s in 2021, paid $200 for 'em, sold 'em for $250... Don't miss 'em... ;-). }

Last edited:
One other thought. I found that I liked speaker A vs speaker B of the single examples I have been exposed to. These speakers have enough age on them that there is no way I could know their history.

When possible, I like to listen to the exact speakers I am going to add into my collection. I like Pioneer speakers. Two sets of the same model can sound different due to their individual lives.

Pioneer CS-R700 paired with either a SA 9100 or 8100 integrated amp and prepare for some serious listening. Unlike my recently refurbished SX 850, The SA 8100 gets the Sonics spot on with the R700’s. The tonal balance is simply better with this combo making the Pioneer CS-R700’s a fantastic sounding speaker.

Darn it Kelly, everytime I see your S-1010s, I want to get mine going! :D

Too many projects on my plate right now to even think about them! :rolleyes:

Scott

Scott -

No chance you have an extra passive radiator cone from a S-1010, is there? My sister in law was being stupid earlier this year and cracked one of mine.

Back
Top Bottom