Best Vintage Preamp

mcjohnston

I'm wondering what people think is a good vintage preamp?

I have a Mcintosh C40 in my office and I like that, although I don't think it qualifies as vintage (c. '92-'98). Downstairs I am building a more vintage system for the "pool room" (unfinished corner of my basement where the pool table is...the stereo sits on an old workbench. Not fancy but dry and clean).

So far I have a Yamaha YP-D71 turntable and A/D/S L 1290 II speakers. I want to use a "replica" Dynaco ST-70 that I have, so I am sort of looking around for a vintage preamp.

I always used integrateds back in the day so I don't have much experience with preamps.

Needs phono!

Opinions? Thanks!

The cost/performance tradeoff on vintage preamps has never struck me as that great. The better ones seem way out of line (ARC) and the cheap ones aren't that great. There were some common names like Yamaha and such, but the better ones don't seem to show up as often as one might like.

I'm working on a PAT-4 right now and have a few mods that really clean it up. The problem with any Dynaco preamps is that the controls, jacks and construction aren't very good to begin with. The PAT-4 is also annoying to work on because you have to desolder all the wires to get the boards out. At their age, you have to replace every single resistor and e-cap in them to have a hope of accuracy, particularly RIAA. You could easily put 8-20 or more hours into tuning up an old PAT-4. I'd never pay much for old Dynaco stuff, but I seem to be in the minority. PM me if you want a prelim copy of my mods.

The Crown IC-150A has a terrible reputation for SQ, but it's built well and uses decent parts. You have to like that retro look with chrome. I think it could be easily upgraded to much better performance. I've had a couple but foolishly sold them. The IC-150A used a very failure prone Raytheon voltage regulator, but that's easily dealt with. The IC-150 (no A) seems to be held in a bit higher esteem for SQ, but I've no experience with them. The ones I bought were inexpensive, but I've no idea what the going rate is today.

Probably rarer than hens teeth, but sonically decent, is the Ace Audio preamp from the '70s. It was minimalist, especially the "zero distortion" model, which just eliminated the buffer stage. The RIAA section was a 2-transistor affair very similar to the Dynaco. At that point it was mostly a selector switch and a volume pot in a box! I have schematics for that somewhere if anybody want's 'em.

If one has any DIY skills, you can build a 1st rate preamp for very little. I'd start with the app note on LME opamps from National/TI. I use something similar in my system and it has very few flaws.

Last edited:
If you're running a Stereo 70 go with a tube preamp. Maybe a Pas-3. The Fisher 400c and ARC Sp-3a1 are very nice but they fetch some coin.

Still, I'd go with a more recent (as in, '90s High End, which is often overlooked, or newer) preamp or vintage tube preamp. I can't think of a '70s preamp I've had that sounded better than a Fisher 400c.

Last edited:
For the "best" I would say the Marantz 7c.

For a "good" one, I'd say the Marantz 7t.

You didn't mention any budget. The 7c is getting crazy expensive. The 7t has been sub 1000 but I see the prices rising on them.

I have a few vintage systems and I love the look and sound of both the 7's especially in their wood cabinets.

Other than those, I like what JohnVF had to say.

How old is vintage? I like my Forte model 2 from 1989, it has a very nice phono section. For the $200 I paid for it, it offers a lot of performance/price. Is it the best vintage? I don't know but it is very good.

How old is vintage? I like my Forte model 2 from 1989, it has a very nice phono section. For the $200 I paid for it, it offers a lot of performance/price. Is it the best vintage? I don't know but it is very good.

That's the great "in between"....the sweet spot of all of audio. Too new for the only-vintage guys, too old for the only-new crowd. Great bargains to be had! And so much of that gear sounds so good.

The B&K MC-101 and Pro 10 are bothe excellent preamps withe great phono stages. MC capable with resistor and cap loading for either mm or MC.

I just picked up a Apt Holman that is also quite nice but doesn't have a MC capable stage.

Good luck

Eric

The beautiful 'Sui C-2301:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sansui-C-2301.html

If 1991 qualifies as "vintage", then the TA-ER1 is a choice:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-ER1.html

The Pioneer Exclusive C5.

Hi Karl,
It would have to be something attainable. I know there are ultimate components made in tiny numbers and sold only in Japan, fiercely fought over by collectors, but if Ebay seldom has one I'm unlikely to find one....

Not that your suggestions aren't good ones, mind you. :)

Lots of 70's vintage McIntosh pre-amps to be found here and there on eBay and vintage audio stores. I have a C28 coupled to a MR77 tuner and love the combo.

The suggestion on the Yamaha pre's is a great one. Good quality and they are not real expensive to purchase. Not a lot goes wrong with them except the meter lights (not unusual in any brand really) and needing to clean the pots now and then.

Good luck with your search!

I have no idea what's vintage any more.

My choice Sumo Electra. Love the sound, love the look, love the feel.

Marantz 3650.
Not because I own one, but of the preamps I've heard that passed my work bench the 3650 is very transparent.

Pioneer Spec1
Built like a tank and sounds great.
I've had to have my Spec 4 amp rebuilt, but have never had any issues with the spec1 (knock on wood).
There is one forsale on Barter Town right now.

Back
Top Bottom