Best Vintage Preamp

Personally, I use the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four but based on its reputation I've also purchased a couple of Crown PSL-2 and Straight Line Two pre-amps.

Many collectors will pooh-pooh Crowns based on their professional history and the checkered reputation of their IC-150. No one who knows what they're talking about has ever maligned the PSL-2/SL-2. At a slim one R-U height, it's packed with capabilities and lives up to its Straight Line name, which is the goal of a pre-amp, right?

1_09e5ca9f2ecc891b73c71432d72e7150.jpg

Pro-Control_zps4915a134.jpg

I have owned many vintage pre amps but always return to my favourites. Listed in my personal order.

Yamaha C2X
Yamaha C2A
Kenwood 700C
Akai PS 200C
JVC 3030P
Sansui CA-F1
Yamaha C-4

There are some Mac pre-amps everyone wants. C-22 or C-28, for instance. But if phono is important to you, C-29 or C-30 are better units even though they are off the radar screen. If you want to save space, the C-712 or 715 are good units that are often over looked. Another to consider is the last 16" wide unit Mac built. The C-37 with remote control. If you love the tube sound and want a C-22 in sheeps clothing, you need to find a C-11. C-20 is for folks who have vast record collections that need different EQ curves. If you like a forward sound the Marantz 7c is a winner and I always felt the 7t was more faithful to the recording. We sold Kenwood, Yamaha, Sansui, and Pioneer, and though I would never own one I preferred the Sansui units. They were more mellow and didn't have the fatigue factor of the others. Pioneer Elite units were always to be taken seriously.

A big (+1) on the Crown Straight Line Two, it has been an excellent preamplifier!
Depending upon requirements of the moment, I switch between the SL-2 Crown, a Sansui CA-2000, a RANE Empath and an Allen&Heath 12FX-zed.

Since I last posted,managed to acquire a Sony TA-E88B pre-amp from 1977. According to The Vintage Knob,it's one of the very best ever manufactured and I completely agree.
You just have to smile at it's ultra hi-end build quality not to mention sound quality!

Another thumbs up for the Kenwood 700C,or if you can find one an L-08C.
Don't overlook the Technics SU-9600 either.

I just a Mcintosh C33 and I have to say that it is a great vintage preamp. It replaces the c28 and improves the experiance at every level.....

Monarchy Audio Passive Buffered Preamp

It was inert - no power supply or "on" or "off" - I think gain came from transformers?

I loved that thing...the best way to listen to an amplifier...or anything in front of it.

I would buy another - its been at least 20+ years since I had that piece...so I'm calling it "vintage"

Since I last posted,managed to acquire a Sony TA-E88B pre-amp from 1977. According to The Vintage Knob,it's one of the very best ever manufactured and I completely agree.
You just have to smile at it's ultra hi-end build quality not to mention sound quality!
A Sony TA-E86B just sold on Ebay. If it had been a TA-E88B, I would have kept bidding.

A Sony TA-E86B just sold on Ebay. If it had been a TA-E88B, I would have kept bidding.

I don't blame you! The earlier,much more expensive TA-E88B is the one to get. No doubt,the later TA-E86B is still good,but it's a simplified/watered down version.

Kenwood Basic C1 & C2s have a lot of fans around here, they are real hard to beat for the money they go for.
Add me to that ^^^^ group +1.

Cant believe how good my Basic C1 sounds,system also includes a modest Adcom GFA 5200 50wpc amp and a Sansui SE-80 EQ thru JBL LX-44 speakers and it constantly amazes me just how good this system sounds for what amounts to peanuts $$$ wise,and I feel that the Basic C1 is largely to credit for the amazing sound this system produces (that and the LX-44's).

It truly excels at low volume listening too,the adjustable loudness control allows one to add just an ever-so-slight touch of "weight" to the sound w/o getting slammed like often happens with an "all or nothing" loudness button (FYI I'm not a loudness fan @ all,but I love the C1's loudness knob).

Gonna grab another if I run across it for a decent price (I know I will,it just takes a bit of patience).

Is it "the best" vintage pre-amp,almost certainy not,but it's a d@mn good one!

Only "con" I've found w/the Basic C1 is it could maybe use a couple more Aux. inputs for use in more complex systems,,,but I guess it would'nt be a "Basic" pre-amp then...

Bret P. ~ ØD

Totally under the radar are the GAS Thaedra, RGR preamps, HAPI I and II(Hegeman Audio,) and Acurus RL 11.

Tube units include the Citation I, Lafayette KT600, Interelectronics, and a couple Ampex units for stereo. The Macs and Marantz are sometimes a little dark and heavy. There are a number of superb mono units.

Back
Top Bottom