Best Vintage Speaker Kickoff!

JBL may have built better drivers , but their horns were a joke. Acoustic lens and ring radiators were a big compromise. After Harmon bought the company and they decided to really compete with EV great white horns, Altec/EV Mantarays, and Community Light and sound horns in the 80's and 90's they finally got their Act to gether. Even TAD had to Show JBL how to build horns that minimized edge diffractions . But today JBL with its modern research facilities is producing systems with horns that are not easily challenged. Diaphragm development, Magnetic structures, throat analysis, new cone materials and use of Mcintosh patented magnetic structure for cone speakers has allowed JBL to really move forward. The same science has allowed JBL to push the development for commercial systems, too. New methods of analysis with advanced test equipment, and computer modeling has helped tremendously. We live in an amazing age, its a shame proof of the pudding isn't affordable to all.

Martin Logan clsiiz period ( but u need the power to run them right ) also accustat model 3 or 4 or 2+2 !, I am a stat guy ,sorry

This thread reminds me of a Chevy/Ford/Mopar muscle car pssing contest, or better yet, a Harley, Triumph, Indian, Norton shoot out. And while the thread reads like the loyalists against the uninformed, a few people have chimed in with some great suggestions. I grew up around the US legends, JBL, Altec, EV, and even classic Philips, but it was upon hearing the Braun 1000, that I was amazed at the engineering of sound reproduction.

After a few years, I was able to get some ADS L810(the company that Braun morphed into), and they forever left an impression on me, and currently I have six sets of ADS brand speakers, as well as Infinity, Philips. JBL, Vandersteen, Yamaha, Janzsen. The ADS sound whether big speakers or smaller ones, is something to behold, it's simply a pleasure to listen to such a gratifying sounding speaker line.

I guess if the GM/Ford/Mopar.,Harley,Triumph argument is in play, than Braun/ADS is the BMW/Mecedes/Audi of that conversation.

Speakers behind the B&W DM2's are AE Evo's which were used as back up speakers whilst restoring the DM2's.

I've gone through 7 pages of opinions and not a single mention of Jack Frazier and his speakers. These are some of the finest sounding speakers ever made.

Well I guess I'm kinda in the "blue collar" range for my systems
ADS 400s downstairs in the shop with a current Marantz integrated and Teac CDplayer.
ADS 630s on my Computer system Marantz Receiver, MM 2.2 Deck and iMac [w/Dragonfly DAC].
Speaker Lab 6's on my main system, Jolida 302B, ProJect Extension 9EVO, Phonomena II, NAD C542, TU717, Tascam 202MKIV.

I have a pair of Altec Iconic's and there are songs that they really stand out on, but in no way would I rank them anywhere near the overall performance of my Infinity RS-1b
s I wouldn't claim the RS-1b's to be able to top a number of other TOTL Infinity's, specifically the IRS V, the IRS Beta, or most likely RS 4.5's. The Apogee TOTL was arguably noted to be right near the top in its day, along with the big Infinity. The dynamic range, the SPL capability, the effortless ability to play large symphonic works, sound stage, and still play more intimate passages with astonishing musically richness, is what makes these Infinity's impress me. They are complicated, and they require a number of amps, and the servo controller, not to mention a bit of room.

anlage-vli.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of Altec Iconic's and there are songs that they really stand out on, but in no way would I rank them anywhere near the overall performance of my Infinity RS-1b
s I wouldn't claim the RS-1b's to be able to top a number of other TOTL Infinity's, specifically the IRS V, the IRS Beta, or most likely RS 4.5's. The Apogee TOTL was arguably noted to be right near the top in its day, along with the big Infinity. The dynamic range, the SPL capability, the effortless ability to play large symphonic works, sound stage, and still play more intimate passages with astonishing musically richness, is what makes these Infinity's impress me. They are complicated, and they require a number of amps, and the servo controller, not to mention a bit of room.

View attachment 855102

There have been 2 pair of those near me recently...actually 1 pair I think was IRS Beta (for only $3300!) and then RS-1B's (currently for sale @ $2900)...VERY tempting to just sell all my other speakers (Quad 57's and KEF 107's) and get them...but I really do not have the room to do them justice. Between the Quads and the KEF's I've got delicate and dynamic covered so I guess I can't complain.

I actually have never heard an Infinity speaker...PERIOD...but they sure look like they mean business. Would love to hear a pair some day.

Back
Top Bottom