Best Vintage Speakers for Less Than $200.00

K

kajguy03

I need to feed my receivers but don't want to go to the poorhouse. Looking for recommendations for speakers that tend to sell in the $200.00 range on E-Bay. Thanks!

I have seen some JBL L-96s go for about that amount. I have no idea why, I thought that they were worth a lot more.

In part depends on what you plan to listen to and how loud, but...

I'm partial to original Large Advents. Ones in utility cabinets are certainly in your budget, and the solid walnut models fluctuate around $200.

But shipping can be expensive. Watch for local auction items and save the expense and agonies of shipping.

What receiver or amp do you plan to use for the speakers?

A good speaker, while not vintage is the Paradigm Titans .. I have yet to hear a pair of US$200 brand new that offer as much bang for the buck.

Chris

I'll second the Large Advents.

If you want to go even less money, Dynaco A-25s, EPI 100s, Small Advents, and Boston Acoustics A60s all can be had for under $125 on a regular basis.

I have them all and I'll tell you it's like choosing ice cream at 31 Flavors; everything is good.

Actually, $200 is quite a bit in vintage speaker land. I'm sure there are also models from Infinity, Ohm, JBL and others, in addition to those brands named above that would work very well.

And if you add thrifting and garage sales in the mix, the sky's the limit on what you can get for $200; my whole system cost less than that! :D

You can't go wrong with the KLH model five. I picked mine up for 50 dollars canadian. Surrounds are made of treated cloth so you don't have to worry about rot.
Rumour has it that the model six is better than the five. I've never heard the sixes so I can't compare, however I will definitely buy a pair when I have the extra income.

Rich

The Pioneer HPM series is excellent. The smaller models may go for <$200 or so.
I recently saw a picture of their S series here and they look to be a real choice, too. (The drivers look like those in the HPM.) While HPM's show up on epay, I don't recall seeing any S series, but you never know.

What type of music do you listen to most ? And at what volume levels ? Makes a difference.

I'll second the Paradigms. One of the best little speakers I've ever heard and can do just about any type music.

J

Two speakers I picked up for $200 (or less) that I highly recommend are the Ohm Walsh 2s ($200) which have incredible imaging and strong bass for their size, and the Marantz HD 770s which I just purchased a few weeks ago and am simply amazed by how nice they sound. It is rich and full sounding and very nicely balanced. Just my two cents...

Have to agree with ckelly and Johnny on this.....you'd be hard pressed to do better than Titans for the buck.

Infinity Qb's. Less money spend?> then two way Qa's. If not a bass fanatic, then Qe's with 8" woofers are great too.

B/F

LOL I bought some Bass Reflex Pioneer CS304a's that can take 120 watts. They looked like brand new and I like the way they sound. Orion said the MSRP was $300.00.................... I paid $55.00 for a pair at the Salvation Army. I also picked up a pair of Kenwood 880's for a friend. They are 3 1/2 feet tall and rock like nobody business. I paid $65.00 for a pair at you guessed it.................. Salvation Army

Last edited:
I got a pair of pioneer CS99A's,locally at a pawn shop for 50.00.Its was great not having to pay shipping.That can really eat into your budget.David

I "third" the Large Adent idea! But buy locally - scout garage sales, pawn shops, flea markets - you may be suprised!

I've got some Polk Audio 10Bs that would sell for about that much (cold dead fingers attached), but couldn't suggest them unless I knew you were willing to throw some current to them.

I just sold a pair of Pioneer CS-99's for $100 to a local guy. For <$200 don't buy them from Ebay as shipping will kill you. Look for speakers in local Craiglist. NEVER pay shipping is my #1 criteria in buying speakers. Ton of guys are dying to get rid of their vintage speakers and with time and patience you will find a pair you love.

with time and patience you will find a pair you love.

kajguy03, This is so true. Check out my avatar. 2pairs of HPM-100's both from different pawnshops! And both under your max. I think I do LOVE mine!

Greg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom