Best Vintage Turntables

Where did you find your Sondek that stayed in tune for years?
This thread has strayed from its realistically priced origins to mid fi of thousands not hundreds.
You''ve lost me.

I will say Thorens. But there is a lot of nice Vintage TT out there.:music:
Not sure you could still find a Thorens for under $300,unless it needs a serious amount of repair,in which case add a few hundred more to the price.

There is no such thing as a "low maintenance" phono record playing system. The record album itself needs constant TLC. You do not just take it out of the sleeve, drop it on the turntable and drop the tonearm to play. Contrary to what you stated, a suspended sub-chassis platter needs adjustment only after years of use, usually less frequent than tonearm tuning and much less frequent than record cleaning. Yes, it does need tuning.

You are right about a direct drive turntable motor. Once the motor bearing wear becomes audible, there is nothing you can do but to buy a new deck. I consider a turntable, tonearm and cartridge combo to be in mid price range when it total about $6000 or less, with 1/4 to 1/3 goes to the deck. This is by no mean high end, but more like mid fi. The cartridge is usually the most costly item with the tonearm comes in next. I spend money on equipment where I can hear the most difference, as in this order.

Also, not all belt drive turntable has suspended sub-chassis platter. Rega turntable is one of the best example of a rigid deck without a sub-chassis. The choice of a turntable is very personal and subjective. If you like your Technics SL1200/SL1401, it is wonderful. But take care of your record album too.

Yup.One thing you learn quick about owning vintage audio equipment,especially turntables and tube amps,is that it's a lot like owning a classic car.This stuff needs constant maintenance and upkeep work,even something that has been "restored".The weirdest things can go wrong all of a sudden,and it can be reeeaaallll hard to find somebody to work on something anywhere from 30-60 years old.

I like all my under $300 (purchased in the last year) TT’s

Technics SL-D2 (w/ xlm imp II Cart) $30
Thorens TD-115 (w Shure V15 H-P and MR stylus) $150
Denon DP-1700 w/ Grace 840f and Dl-103 ($300-$350 w au-320 SUT)

Denon is fav- but sometimes I like not having to get up at the end of every side. Also- wonder when I’ll own my first platter brake...

The Dual CS-721 is lubed up and back in rotation.
Works reliable enough to slap a new Grado cart on and the full auto features make it nice and easy to use even if it's not officially "audiophile"

The Dual CS-721 is lubed up and back in rotation.
Works reliable enough to slap a new Grado cart on and the full auto features make it nice and easy to use even if it's not officially "audiophile"

I’m also looking fwd to a good ole fully auto (and changer equipped) player eventually!!! I have a lot of 45’s that would be fun to let rip on an auto

Pioneer PL50-II, quartz, heavy, very well isolated from external vibration, electronic arm cue, oil damped graphite arm. What else?

You are right about a direct drive turntable motor. Once the motor bearing wear becomes audible, there is nothing you can do but to buy a new deck.

With no belt or idler to pull the platter sideways, the bearing will probably outlast the turntable’s owner.

Are we still trying to find "the best" TT under $300, or are we looking into more current values?

I picked up an SL-1800 a few months ago for $175. It was $200 new, in '77-'78, almost $800 adjusted for inflation) Put a 2M Blue on it. REALLY plays well with the rest of my gear. I don't even mind that it's a manual deck.

Pretty much any well regarded, and well-cared-for, vintage table you can pick up for under $300 these days is probably a good deal.

The better Yamaha vintage tables YP-D6 & YP-D8 are excellent value and don't rule out the Sony Biotracer, it has a lot of knockers, but if you have one you won't part with it.

Not sure you could still find a Thorens for under $300,unless it needs a serious amount of repair,in which case add a few hundred more to the price.

I had Thorens TD-166, TD-145, and TD-125MKII; i really like how they sounded (all of them), but they were a pain in the *** to service, plus I didn't like at all the internal construction (hard to service, and some internals could have been built better...).

Disclosure: I'm a turntable technician, thus I prefer TTs that are serviceable.

There is no such thing as a "low maintenance" phono record playing system. The record album itself needs constant TLC. You do not just take it out of the sleeve, drop it on the turntable and drop the tonearm to play. Contrary to what you stated, a suspended sub-chassis platter needs adjustment only after years of use, usually less frequent than tonearm tuning and much less frequent than record cleaning. Yes, it does need tuning.

You are right about a direct drive turntable motor. Once the motor bearing wear becomes audible, there is nothing you can do but to buy a new deck. I consider a turntable, tonearm and cartridge combo to be in mid price range when it total about $6000 or less, with 1/4 to 1/3 goes to the deck. This is by no mean high end, but more like mid fi. The cartridge is usually the most costly item with the tonearm comes in next. I spend money on equipment where I can hear the most difference, as in this order.

Also, not all belt drive turntable has suspended sub-chassis platter. Rega turntable is one of the best example of a rigid deck without a sub-chassis. The choice of a turntable is very personal and subjective. If you like your Technics SL1200/SL1401, it is wonderful. But take care of your record album too.
See photo next to my name. It's my ultra sonic cleaner. I'm working my way through .
Cleaning, digitizing to 24/96 WAV VIA and then playing from computer.
I've got 4 Technics dd decks and I've never heard bearing wear even from the most neglected.The shafts look shiny too. I would not buy a sl1200 Dj deck , they've had too much use in many cases to buy unseen.

Back
Top Bottom