Best way to clean Marantz face plates?

Lavane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Now that I've added a very minty clean second amp to my stack I've noticed how dull looking the rest of my components are. So I was wondering what other people use to clean those brushed aluminium face plates without removing the lettering? :scratch2:

I just soak them in warm water and soap. Very simple and non abrasive. I usually soak it for around 30 minutes. The nicotine and crud wipes right off. I also soak the knobs in hot soapy water then use a toothbrush to clean.
Works like a charm.

Magic eraser eh? I'll give it a try. I've used the old soak um in a tub before with really dirty components I've come across in the past.

Ya it doesn't harm letting, just avoid the lettering and there's no risk. I use it on all receivers I do, works slick.

NevrDull anyone? Just make sure you wipe it down afterwards pretty good and it'll shine like new with some elbow grease

Well - no one could be interested in "altering" the hue or original shine of the plate - eh?

Just clean (soapy water or windex) and wipe gently with a soft cotton cloth afterwards.

"neverdull" - Hmm... I suppose it'll mar the surface quite much....do not use it for cleaning af Marantz faceplate.

Last edited:
I find both Simple Green and the The Magic Eraser to be very effective methods for cleaning face plates.
When I'm done with those I rinse the face plates off in fresh water and dry them with a microfibre cloth.

Very warm water, Dawn dish washing liquid, scrub with non abrasive sponge, then dry and finish up with Blue Magic Metal Polish. Just like new!

Faceplates

I use windex (the original with ammonia now marked commercial windex
at home depot). Phase Linear recommended straight ammonia for their
faceplates.

Well - no one could be interested in "altering" the hue or original shine of the plate - eh?

Just clean (soapy water or windex) and wipe gently with a soft cotton cloth afterwards.

"neverdull" - Hmm... I suppose it'll mar the surface quite much....do not use it for cleaning af Marantz faceplate.

Hmm, I've used it for a couple years and have had good luck with it. Hasn't removed any lettering and gets out the most stubborn of stains. Gives it a brilliant shine as well and even able to remove some slight blemishes. :scratch2:

Do all remember, what they looked like when new?

I do now! The second 140 amp I just got came in the original sales carton and packaging inside original shipping box over that. The thing doesn't have a mark on it. No dust inside. The meter circuit does not work at all though. Next to my other equipment it sticks out like a clean beautiful sore thumb. The person I bought it from was selling other marantz stuff in the original boxes in the same shape from an estate sale. After talking to him all boxes had the same shipping address. Looks like leftovers from an old shop. I'm guessing my amp was originally returned because of the meter circuit being out and never made it back to Marantz. Maybe I should dirty the amp up to match the rest. Might be easier! :D

Warm soapy water. Dry off, then rub some baby oil in(I'm sure you have some lying around! ;) ). Leave it 30 minutes and wipe off. Beautiful glossy sheen and removes those annoying white oxidizing blotches as well!

Paul

I just did a couple on some recently acquired Marantz's. Warm soapy water, Dawn or other dish soap. Soak for awhile, and I have a really soft toothbrush I use sparingly, but they look nice now.

Never use something harsh like ammonia, it will really screw it up.

Back
Top Bottom