Best way to clean Marantz face plates?

Used the Magic Eraser after soaking it in Dawn and warm water for an hour. It worked! And while it appeared to lift the lettering off onto the Magic Eraser, I used less pressure and really long, even strokes. The lettering did not come off, and the faceplate is much cleaner. Had tried Dawn/sponge and also WIndex but the smoke stains and grime remained until carefully using the Magic Eraser..

I've used Spray Nine on many faceplates without issue. I put the faceplate in the sink and give it a good spray. By the time I'm finished spraying you can literally see all the dirt/grease/smoke residue run off the plate it works that fast. Rinse with warm water right away and use a polish of choice. Works better than anything else I've tried and it's never affected any lettering whatsoever.

GT

Foaming spray cleaner of the type used to clean computer hardware and screens.

Shake the can and spray - it come out like shaving foam and starts to fizz when it lands on a surface. Works on face plates, glass, Perspex, knobs, metal covers....the lot.

Never fails to remove decades of crud, smokers residue etc.
Plastics safe.

$_58[1]

Last edited:
for really rough stuff, this is a last resort, but I took some Eagle One wadding polish to a really banged up black anodized Luxman cassette deck faceplate - it actually did a pretty good job of minimizing the old damage and did not lift any lettering. I was cautious at first but ended up going over the whole face with the stuff.

Just cleaned a particularly stubborn 2230 faceplate. Used Dawn/Hot water soak in utility sink for about an hour. Wiped down and let dry. The faceplate was cleaner, but still had a haze after several additional rinses. Then used the baby oil suggestion and let stand for half an hour. Wiped it down and it looks awesome.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

I read several posts to use Simple Green. Do not. Do not use any caustic cleaners on anodized aluminum, it will whiten the surface and potentially leave white streaks and spots. This will not be repairable.

^I am thinking that that is what happened (caustic cleaner) to my Luxman cassette that I mentioned in an earlier post. I missed the suggestion to use baby oil, that might cover up the little marks that the wadding polish didn't take off.

Related but different tip: do not use Windex to clean finger gunge off black plastic automotive switches. It'll take off the printed words/icons. A solution of Murphy's Oil Soap and water won't, however.

I just had a particularly nasty 2230 faceplate.
Usually dawn dish soap with warm water takes off years of nicotine staining and dirty fingers around the volume control, selector switch and power switch.
Not so this time around.
I used the Magic Eraser and was truly amazed that it removed the stains etc. and actually shined up the plate like new and didn't lift any lettering!

Bob

I bought a pair of (walnut veneer) JBL speakers at a store, where someone had written on them with permanent marker. Nothing would take it off including solvents and soaps.

My Wife brought me a Magic Eraser and some water. It scrubbed off. Left the veneer a little dull and dry so after the wood air-dried for a few hours a little mineral oil and I can't tell where it was.

Just be careful with the smoked "glass". It's obviously actually plastic. Some glass cleaners could hurt it. And rubbing it with ANY dirt on it could scratch it. I use NOVUS products to polish or clean the plastic. It comes in a 1-2-3 kit where two of the bottles are levels of polish and one is just a cleaner.

Just be careful with the smoked "glass". It's obviously actually plastic. Some glass cleaners could hurt it. And rubbing it with ANY dirt on it could scratch it. I use NOVUS products to polish or clean the plastic. It comes in a 1-2-3 kit where two of the bottles are levels of polish and one is just a cleaner.

Agreed.
Stay away from any ammonia on the plastic "glass". It can cause it to get cloudy.

Here is a general guideline for cleaning plexiglass.
https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Plexiglass

Back
Top Bottom