Best way to clean the switches on an Eight Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by jberger, Nov 13, 2017.

?

Clean switches from the

1. Top

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bottom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Front

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Forget it, just ship it to me

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an Eight Deluxe that needed the usual DeOxiting. The tone and selector controls are easily reachable from underneath, but the long row of switches seem to be buried in the middle of the receiver, and they really need cleaning.

How have others here cleaned these switches; remove everything up above them, dig up from the bottom, remove the faceplate and come in from the front, or some other way that I'm blind to?

2. Robisme

Robisme Sansui Enthusiast Subscriber

I would have to pull the cover to take a look, but I just cleaned the controls on an Eight. I could see the back end of the switches looking from the top.
    Use a flashlight and watch one while you press it. Spray the moving parts. You'll need a straw.

Worked for me.

Rob

3. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I ran into this situation recently and after a bit of AK discussion, I tried the frontal method. My issue was the fact that I had just completely redone my entertainment center and, due to some physical issues, I was not about to do a full disassemble job. I removed the Deluxe from the setup and set it on its butt. I used a needle bottle with Deoxit cut 50/50 with 92% isopropyl. I slowly drizzled the Deoxit in and cycled the switches like mad. I followed the next day with an application of Caig shield. This was about 8 months, or more ago, and, as of today, I have had no trouble with cut outs since. This may just be a chance that the cycling did the job by itself, but I am inclined to believe that the Deoxit and Shield were able to get in the switches and did their job.

4. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

I usually just take them apart, top, bottom, whatever it takes to get good access. Does yours have an engraved face plate?

- Pete

5. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

All of the lettering is engraved for the controls, but "Eight Deluxe" appears to be molded and attached.

The final answer was "top AND front". The bank by the tuner gang was reachable from the top with a straw, once I pushed them to see what moved. The other gang of four had to be cleaned through the front, so I removed and cleaned it all.

I'm debating whether or not to do a full recap; I counted close to 40 excluding the tuner.

6. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Hard receiver to work on, or so the rumors have it.

7. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Yup, tough to work on because it's outstanding build quality.

- Pete

8. Kale

Kale Super Member

DougBrewster likes this.
  9. saunadog

saunadog Well-Known Member

Wow. Looks like the "engineer's receiver" requires and actual engineer to thoroughly clean the pots and switches. Thanks for the link - it really gives you an appreciation for how overbuilt these are.

I feel really fortunate to own an Eight, but it's easily the most intimidating piece of equipment that I have. Even changing out the dial bulbs is daunting. Mine has intermittent issues with the switches, but I think that I'll just exercise them for now as problems occur. When funds allow, I'll have a professional do the cleaning while it's being recapped.

10. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Nice Job Kale. I wonder how long does it take to do a full rebuild like this you did?

11. Kale

Kale Super Member

Thanks JOMARK911!
    I don't know… as I said, I don't have some time limit to do something on Sansuies…. I am doing this because I really like it, but I don't like pressing, so I always said to my possible customers: please do not hurry up me, and you will be satisfied with my job, if you are an impatient person, please find someone else who will work on yours unit :)

Hyperion likes this.