Better to use cheaper thicker speaker wire or better thinner wire?

I also read up on the oxy-free thing - apparently, that's a different way of extruding the copper that results in longer molecules.

Sorry, but I believe that there is no such thing as a copper molecule, just rows and columns of copper atoms.

Ideally, one would install impedance matched transformers at either end of the cable to boost the peak voltage along the transmission line to something near the 200kV range and take full advantage of the skinning effect, thereby taking the composition of the wire strands, flats, twists, and even the metallurgy completely out of the picture. There can be no doubt if you have a few hundred kV running your speakers that you are the BEST!

Short of that, 49 strand nickel plated is far superior to 7 strand bare copper, but make sure you use phosphor-bronze brazing for the connections instead of tin/lead/antimony solder.

It's not the wire itself that matters. Until you have the proper elevation and isolation under your wires you are missing probably 10% of your system's capability.

I would think at the very least you'd want to put some wood blocks under them. That's assuming you can get hold of some ebony or wenge. Pine, maple and oak are counterproductive.

>Better to use cheaper thicker speaker wire or better thinner wire?

In my opinion, the above question conflicts with itself. In my experience, thicker wire = better wire..

INCOMING!

bs

The insulator counts as well. I've got some older cables with clear PVC jackets that have visibly tarnished to a nice green color. Teflon is good if you'll be soldering connections because it doesn't melt as easily under an iron. Sound? Who knows.

The insulator counts as well. I've got some older cables with clear PVC jackets that have visibly tarnished to a nice green color. Teflon is good if you'll be soldering connections because it doesn't melt as easily under an iron. Sound? Who knows.

Home Depot bulk comes to mind. Ironically the monoprice stuff I'm using now is still looking nice and shiny.

I'd heard about the speaker wire elevation thing and decided to try it for myself ...

stringing-wires.jpg

Wish me luck, ok.

Butt seriously, folks ...

Seems the theory is, by elevating the cables, you insulate them from vibration, and reduce any disturbance in the force ...

(the force is strong in this one)

Also kinda sorta makes sense that it would tend to decouple the cable from any residual static in a carpet which could track up the jacket to the connections. Have to think on that one.

(owwww ... makes my brain hertz)

So, anyway - just wondering if those expanded foam pipe insulation jackets would work? I just did a little experiment with one I got laying about - shuffled around on my carpet with my slippers on, touched the dog on the nose, and he got zapped pretty good. Once he settled down and I got a bandage on my finger, I rubbed the insulation jacket on the same carpet for a bit, poked him in the nose again ... and no zap, so they seem to be fairly electrically neutral.

Who needs fancy test instruments when you got a dog? :D

The distance is only 10 ft. I'm driving 6 Ohm MB Quart towers with a Parasound 1500A.

Tried listening test, hard to tell with the gap between the music when switching.

I agree with those who say try it yourself.

Myself, I use and prefer thinner gauge solid core wire. Of course, as others have stated, I'm delusional thinking there is really a difference.

See, it really doesn't make a difference - just to your pocketbook and ego.

See, it really doesn't make a difference - just to your pocketbook and ego.

If you saw the solid core wire I'm using, you'd realize just how laughable your 'ego' comment is.

Also, I think you need to read the posting rules of this forum.

Last edited:
I have used 14 gauge wire from Lowe's for years but a recent purchase came with some free 18 gauge wire from Apature, which is expensive stuff.

Any thoughts on this?

Thinner guage wire = higher resistance. An ideal wire is supposed to have zero resistance. Copper is copper. The cheap stuff is thicker. I think you know what I'm trying to tell you.

But if you think you can hear the difference between the two, go right ahead and spend all the money you want. As long as your system sounds better at the end of the day to your ears...and if buying more expensive wire helps you feel that way, that's what counts.

Unless you're running a 100,000 dollar arena system and/or have significant distance to cover I doubt you'll hear a difference in any speaker wire.

Back
Top Bottom