Between Sony SS-960 vs Sansui SP-X3000

Nexusmusic

Hi Gentlemans,

How's everybody doing? I'm thorn between these 2: Sony ss-960 versus Sansui SP-X3000 both in mint mint conditions.
I did some research yesterday night but didn't find much about the Sony SS-960. In other hand I found a little more about Sansui vintage speakers and the SP-X3000 and family that only thing that the Sansui in this categoy was missing was that it these didn't reproduce nice bass frequencies.
But still people praised Sansui models especially higher ones like SP-X8000 & up.

What you guys think? I know many here have experienced with some of these lines, any input, will be very much appreciated.

Great sunday to all

Best,

MY

Welcome to AK NexusMusic! Good to have you on board.

Between the Sansui X3000 and the Sony SS960? Neither. There are MUCH better speakers out there to consider. While the Japanese manufactured great electronics during the "Golden Years" and now, the speakers in general from that period are better known for aesthetics than for sound quality. There are some exceptions, of course, but they were primarily Japan Only models. I learned just last year that Sansui produced some outstanding models in cooperation with JBL, for instance.

So, unless you are sold on the appearance of these speakers, or need them to complete a set of like-branded components, you should look elsewhere into different brands. (Understand that I say this knowing full well that should I find similar speakers at great prices, I would not hesitate to buy them. But, they would be primarily decorative and not at all my primary speakers.)

If you can give us some specifics about yourself (type of music involved and at what volume levels, what other gear you possess, and the amount of money you want to spend) the good folks here will be more than happy to recommend good speaks for you.

GeeDeeEmm

Sony SS860 (internet pic)
vintage-sony-ss-860-speakers-250-watt_1_3c27175dfcd8c24b9c4816aeffa4f9a7.jpg

Sansui SP3000
330790-sansui_speakers_sp3000_ultra_rare_and_high_end_5_way.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know, there's no sansui "SP-X3000" speaker model; but there is the Sansui SP-3000 speaker, perhaps that is what you're talking about?

(note: picture erroneously posted above from another poster is for the Sansui SP-X9000, a high end, higher power, and a significantly different speaker, and not for the "SP-X3000" speaker you're inquiring about)

If so, I would choose the SP-3000. If you're concern with bass, I would consider doing the following:

- use an EQ
- adding poly fill stuffing (I don't think Sansui used enough stuffing in their speakers). This will cause an effect of virtual increase in cabinet volume, and can potentially produce more bass.
- recap
- soften up the accordion surround with chemical. Some of these woofers have fairly stiff surrounds, probably due to effect of time. AK has postings on how to do that.

As far as I know, there's no sansui "SP-X3000" speaker model; but there is the Sansui SP-3000 speaker, perhaps that is what you're talking about?

(note: picture above from another poster is for the Sansui SP-X9000, a high end, higher power, and a significantly different speaker, and not for the "SP-X3000" speaker you're inquiring about)

If so, I would choose the SP-3000. If you're concern with bass, I would consider doing the following:

- use an EQ
- adding poly fill stuffing. This will cause an effect of virtual increase in cabinet volume, and can potentially produce more bass.
- recap
- soften up the accordion surround with chemical. Some of these woofers have stiff surround, probably due to effect of time. AK has postings on how to do that.
Thanks @audiosignal for your input.
To be honest with you, I'm not sure because I asked the seller to tell me what was his Sansui series speaker he was selling and he just replied and told me "X3000". Then I start doing a little research and I haven't found any X3000 only, all the search I did came with SP- before the series number... But I believe you're right

I can re-ask again but I'm a little reluctant on getting either both of these as maybe look wise and aesthetic they seem fine but maybe not the best (when I say best I'm taking in consideration the price the sellers are asking for as well, not saying these are the best speakers... hell no).

Thanks also for your input steps on how to improve them if ever I get them but I must be honest, I'm a High-Fi audiophile music lover, I also know about SOUND quality because I work in the music industry and I'm privilege to work with high end (active speakers) from Klein & Hummel to PMC's to FOCAL etc.. which are some of the speakers I have in my hybrid recording studio. But i'm not the guy who's gonna tear down speakers and start trying to fix them etc...Thats not my thing unfortunately,

I'm not though very familiar with back in the days amazing Vintage speakers, I won't lie but I can tell when I hear speakers if they have value or if they sound good, great or stunning etc... But when it comes to Vintage speakers, even though I remember way back when I used to listen to Vinyl in my father's system etc.. thats the sound I remember and loved and i'm trying to go back as a hobby and love for those vintage sound.

Welcome to AK NexusMusic! Good to have you on board.

Between the Sansui X3000 and the Sony SS960? Neither. There are MUCH better speakers out there to consider. While the Japanese manufactured great electronics during the "Golden Years" and now, the speakers in general from that period are better known for aesthetics than for sound quality. There are some exceptions, of course, but they were primarily Japan Only models. I learned just last year that Sansui produced some outstanding models in cooperation with JBL, for instance.

So, unless you are sold on the appearance of these speakers, or need them to complete a set of like-branded components, you should look elsewhere into different brands. (Understand that I say this knowing full well that should I find similar speakers at great prices, I would not hesitate to buy them. But, they would be primarily decorative and not at all my primary speakers.)

If you can give us some specifics about yourself (type of music involved and at what volume levels, what other gear you possess, and the amount of money you want to spend) the good folks here will be more than happy to recommend good speaks for you.

GeeDeeEmm

Sony SS860 (internet pic)
vintage-sony-ss-860-speakers-250-watt_1_3c27175dfcd8c24b9c4816aeffa4f9a7.jpg

Sansui X3000 (internet pic)
511849-sansui_spx9000_speakers.jpg
Hi @gdmoore28

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated & thanks for your input ;-)

To continue my description in regard to my background and what I'm looking for... as I was saying in my above reply, I'm not a novice in terms of sound quality thank God. But i'm not a pro at vintage sound speakers. I know my audio stuff when it comes to quality, to recording studio gear from Pre-amps, Eq etc.. to Active speakers from high end manufacturers from Focal/PMC/Adams/Klein & Hummer (now Newman)/Barefoot/AVS/QUAD etc..

My quest in vintage speakers is mostly for personal reminiscing sound. Not looking to put big money to buy the biggest revamped or recapped JBL or Sansui that cost 15000$ & up by Kendrick etc... not at all.

Just looking to put my hands on some great vintage opportunity speakers that are great that are in good shape, if amazing shape fine but if need some work its all good as I can find someone to help me with recapping them or refoam etc...And be able to plug also these vintages speakers and be able to playback my music and enjoy that vintage sound but also be able to A/B my mixes from my studio mixing monitors versus vintage sound, see how it translates etc... its really from a sound lover, someone who appreciate great sounding speakers or audio material.
Matter of fact, I just got my first vintage Receiver that is a Sansui 771, in great shape that I love, and looking to find good speakers to go with...

I stumbled into some lately: Sony AMP 121es / Sony APM 717 / Advent/9/ Little Mirage /JBL 2066 / Dyncao 25 / Advent4002 / Celestion 112 /Altec Lansing classic Three /Wharefedale Laser L-50 and so forth /Chartwell PM-200 / Audio Lab AL-30 / Royale 6A / MACH 1 realistic Legendary 15 & some Sansui like Sansui SP1001

Also have spotted some Linn Kan MK 1 speakers in superbe condition like new, ome Spendors SA-1 mini or some B&W DM7 mk2

Hope this gives a little idea but open to other suggestion as well.

Once again thanks a lot guys, really appreciate

But when it comes to Vintage speakers, even though I remember way back when I used to listen to Vinyl in my father's system etc.. thats the sound I remember and loved and i'm trying to go back as a hobby and love for those vintage sound.

MY-

Do you have any memory of exactly what kind of gear - especially speakers - that your father used that so impressed you? If you or your father (if living) can recollect what that gear was, seems a logical place to start would be trying to obtain similar speakers. This could turn into a very interesting and rewarding experience for you (and us, if you choose).

The drivers in the cabs in my avatar came from the first Altec-sourced speakers that I ever heard as a teen (late 1960s). I was blown away by them. Now, many, many years later those same speakers have been used in a cabinet of my own design. The original owner is passed now, but the impression that these speakers left on me lives on today.

GeeDeeEmm

MY-

Do you have any memory of exactly what kind of gear - especially speakers - that your father used that so impressed you? If you or your father (if living) can recollect what that gear was, seems a logical place to start would be trying to obtain similar speakers. This could turn into a very interesting and rewarding experience for you (and us, if you choose).

The drivers in the cabs in my avatar came from the first Altec-sourced speakers that I ever heard as a teen (late 1960s). I was blown away by them. Now, many, many years later those same speakers have been used in a cabinet of my own design. The original owner is passed now, but the impression that these speakers left on me lives on today.

GeeDeeEmm

Woooow this is an amaaaazing story @gdmoore28 the impression those speakers left on you.. you see now that you are bringing about memories etc.. something came to my mind, besides listening to music at home, there was this man in my neighborhood who is really the one who introduced me to Vintage vinyl sound. I recall exactly that when younger not even 15 years old, used to play football (soccer) with friends and come end of the day around 6h pm would pas by near his house that was near my grand mother and used to stop there because he always had great story to tell but mostly he always listen to amazing sound (maybe not songs but ive enjoyed those old school music) but he used to tell me "let me make you hear some good music" and he would tell me "lay down, close your eyes and enjoy the purity of sound". And man when I'd hear that needle touching the record and starts playing, the sound was sooooooooo rich, enveloping everything, it could stay there listening to music forever. Now i recall that I didn;t really know about the Vintage stuff he used from Receiver or speakers etc.. I would see the gears but didn't really care much as the sound was what hunted me and made me enjoy if I can say ... follow me? So what I recall most was "records" vinyl or CDs back in the days even this man had 4 tracks cassetes and normal casettes that I used to have as well etc..

So thats my memory and I can still notice that sound. Even when I went to buy my Sansui receiver, this amazing chinese Teacher who is a music lover and when I went to his place, this man had just crazy list of Vintage from receivers to Speakers and he even made me listen my Sansui 771 plugged with some of his speakers including his Chartwell PM-200 and also a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 etc.. and I could lived back again the vintage sound I remembered. Simply a bliss ;-)

Voila...

Was trying to find info of the Sansui speakers but instead read these touching encounters. Reminds me of the first time I heard real classical music, Schubert's Serenade, on a lowly Rediffusion wired radio service in the early 70s, it's a mono lousy speaker box that broadcaster 18 hours a day (6 AM - 12 AM). I was only 11 I think, the program was a 30-minute introductory weekly session on classical music, played at 11 - 11:30 PM. the sound quality was nothing to shout about, it sounded even poorer than those disco boomboxes that ruled the world that would appear 10 years later, but to me what I heard was like Heaven! from that moment on I knew what is good music vs bad music. Childhood is important indeed.

@Nexusmusic You're not trying to recapture the "sound" of those speakers you heard so long ago. You're trying to recapture the "experience" of hearing them, at that time in your life. It's like trying to be a virgin again.

Back
Top Bottom