Beware of Phishermen

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
I got a PM asking a relatively intelligent question regarding one of my favorite amps. Included at the end was his email address. I answered through PM and never got a reply. Looks like he was phishing for my emaill address.

The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name.

No Phishermen on this site.

Can't imagine why you'd want to go outside the PM system anyway.

If it is a seller, they are hoping to secure the deal outside of eBay. Then having secured the deal they close down the auction and pocket the commission that they'd normally be required to pay eBay.

If it is the buyer, they are also hoping to secure the deal outside of eBay. Then having secured the deal they ask for the item price to be lowered. Seeing as how the seller now doesn't have to pay a commission to eBay.

I got a PM asking a relatively intelligent question regarding one of my favorite amps. Included at the end was his email address. I answered through PM and never got a reply. Looks like he was phishing for my emaill address.

I agree 100 percent I mostly never give out my email unless I have chatted a bit or I talk on the phone first. Nowadays one really needs to think everything is a scam; unfortunate but it is what it is.

Then...

Why would someone PM you out of the blue and not PM you again ??

There is a method to their madness...

I sometimes wonder if certain members don't have multiple accounts under different screen names.

All it would taken is more than one IP address.

Their motive would be pranksterism. I've seen it happen on a car forum. I wasted many hours answering fictitious questions. Even took pictures of difficult spots of my car in sub-zero temperatures. The dude was a moderator for the forum, and his silliness was sanctioned. I had some fun with it once I figured it out.

Please note that SoCal Sam started this thread Nov 6, 2016
and has not replied to the thread since.

ZOOOOOOOOMBIE thread!

Back
Top Bottom