Beyond overdriven

Audi0

I won a pallet at a auction with some audio goodies on it. The 1970s technics amp is what I was after however it came with some sound dynamics speakers.

The amp checks out good besides some scatchey pots and good dc offset. I really dont think its what caused the issues with speakers.

The speakers were in everyway blown. Every driver was dead and the crossover was fried. Both windings in the tweeter were physically melted and the woofers as well.

How much juice does it take to do this? Over 50 volts (judging by cap value)? If you look at the picture the cap is swollen and the inductors both started melting. I've never seen damage this extreme before. What caused it?
20170818_153326.jpg

have seen plenty of after party speakers like that ..passive crossovers do not like full on parties .

I certainly have no clue....but years and years ago, I walked into my local audio store in Fairfield Ohio...

As I was meandering around, I heard a BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-BAM

Some hysterical laughing... and I went over to see...

The two salesmen (service?? I don't know)

Anyway, the two salesmen there had a speaker and plugged it into the wall. We heard 60 Hz for a couple seconds then something blew up inside the speaker.

I'd wonder if maybe once the speaker was deemed trash... if someone could have done same?

i've seen bad amps pass DC and melt crossovers and pots just like that. Some cheaply designed tube preamps will let DC coupled amps do similar.

Back
Top Bottom