BGW amp 750B anyone familiar with it ?

I just got a free CS 800 and curious if it is or is not the same as the BGW 750? gonna try and fire it up soon.

My BGW 250C, 500D, 750B and 7500 are all now back in use in my almost completed home studio. I'm running EV Sentry 100A's and 500's with them in various combinations depending upon my mood at the moment.

I also have the smaller brother model, 250C. It is off being recapped now so that I can enjoy it into retirement.

Sounded great powering the smaller Advents I purchased off of Barter Town last December.

Yes, the 750 continues to make blissful sounds long after the Blaze Linear does it's impression of a smoke machine.:smoke:

Urban legend, nothing to see here. You can drive 4ohm loads no problem with the 700 as long as you have forced air cooling. Add DC protection and your good to go. Get a 700 WOPL'd and the 750 is no match at 4-8ohm loads

Lets see... Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, ELP all used Phase Linear and had nothing but good things to say

An amp is only as good as the person driving it, you ask it to do what it's not supposed to and you run into problems deservedly

I would put a WOPL'd Phase Linear against most anything on the current market today

I have a 3 rack space CS800 also, solid amp for most any application, I use it for power for my guitar rack

I was a BGW dealer in the Chicago Burbs for many years. Back then they were great amps, but by today's standard they are antique's. The 750 chassis would make a good basis for home brew Class A power amps though... Large sinks and the central fan cooling them both.

Mark

My 750B is sick, age has finally caught up with it. I'd like to do everything possible to get another 32 years out of it. Any suggestions?

If it is in working shape it should outperform the M65. IDK about the Dynacos. I have an old BGW 500D that powers my MMGs with authority. The treble response might be somewhat rolled off but my old ears have the same issue! They make great subwoofer power sources. $20 is a steal even if it needs repairs.

Through odd circumstances I became owner of a 750C. I thought it would make a good match in a garage loft workshop/kids' clubhouse where I had put together a 101db speaker system. AE TD15M x 2 per side in 8 cu. ft. cabinets with 2" compression driver and waveguide, homebrew crossover at ~750hz. With a nice tube preamp it sounds quite good and gets stupid loud while staying clear and clean. It replaced a 15 watt per channel tube amp, which I love, but it can't make your organs shift like the BGW can. With a better digital source (building Allo Boss DAC + Raspberry Pi and custom power supply) it will be killer.

I liked it enough that I have a second one coming next week. I'm curious to try it on other speakers, and in a bi-amp setup with active crossover.

I picked up a 500D in excellent condition from the original owner last year for $70. He said he used it to drive a pair of AR-9's for many years.I also got the manual and calibration report. I have been using it at my shop with a Pioneer SA-8100 as a pre-amp driving Cerwin Vega D9's and AT12'S . It is a excellent amp very clean and really makes the D9's sound better than they ever have. I have no problem drowning out my air compressor and other loud shop tools........hahahaBGW500D.jpg Manual.jpg Data.jpg

Nice, the one I have looked like that once. Solid clean power after a lot of years. Do you notice the fan in your garage?

Hi sfox52
My shop is about 16'x40' with about a 20' ceiling. I usually set the volume between 10 and 12 o'clock and that is pretty loud with the D9's,very clean,no distortion. Fan is pretty quiet I can only hear it if I am close. I run it all day and the fan almost always stays on low. 98 degrees in pic after cranking D9's and AT 12's for most of the day. I live in Florida and it was at least 90 in the shop. I played in a lot of bands in the 80's and did sound a lot in the 80's and early 90's . I owned CS-800's,CS-400's a CS-1000 and a couple of M-2400's never had a problem with them.BGW 500D #3.jpg BGW temp.jpg

I just picked up a BGW 500D off of eBay for $135.00 including shipping. I opened it up and cleaned it inside and out. I powered it up with a pair of disposable speakers and ran it for 8 hours with no isses. I took it off the bench and hooked it up with a Classe' Audio pre-emptive and first series Bose 901's and WOW! It sounds great. I removed an Adcom 555 that was in rotation at the time the BGW is staying!

Attachments

• 20190727_183128_resized.jpg
    20190727_183128_resized.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom