BGW vs. ABI need your opinion

sonix

For those of you guys that have had both BGW and ABI amps, which do you like better and why?
I have owned a few ABI Precedent series amplifiers and thought they sounded great. They may be a little on the clinical side for some folks but thats alright with me after all they are pro audio amps and often have fans. I owned a few Precedent 400 and 600xl and thought they were nice amps. I never had any BGW amps so I'm curious how do they stack up against the AB amps in your opinion? I'm guessing they are warmer sounding judging by the reviews online, I would like to hear from people that actually used both or had a chance to hear both. Everyones opinion is welcome. Fire away!

I am unfamiliar with ABI - perhaps some link(s) might be in order. As for BGW, they maintain an excellent reputation 40 years after production with the vintage crowd.

Personally, I've never had both but have been around the block a few times with audio gear and haven't had the pleasure of the ABI. What's unique or remarkable about them?

Good luck with someone who's had both.

Cheers,

David

I don't know ABI either, but i did install a modern 12 V. fan using "rubber studs" instead of solid screws in my old BGW 500D and it helped quiet the fan enough to make it hard to notice. I run it at reduced voltage, it doesn't seem to need full speed. My ears will give up before I overheat the old beast.

I've got both but neither are in use. The BGW is a 620 that needs a new cord, and maybe some rewiring of the back panel..... why did they run wires outside the case to the optional impedance matching transformers??? I've seen various other BGW amps and they seem to have moved them around.
The AB Systems is a 410A so older than your AB International Precedent..... it is pretty beat up on the outside, and also needs a new cord.

My plan is to get the BGW up and running.... some day.

I like the BGW amplifiers a great deal, very well built and dependable workhorses which sounded great. ABI I don't know anything about so can't comment on those.

I have a BGW 750c and a 250d that I use daily in a recording studio situation. They perform flawlessly. Great specs and speaker protection. Never hear of ABI amplfiers.

I have been tempted to snag another 500D & try them as monoblocks, cost is not an issue, just hate hauling the monsters around. Also with these old things it's a matter of time before some near unobtanium part smokes & back to the bench or closet it goes.

I've never seen the 750 in real life, but the pictures online, make me like my 620 better. The 750 puts the boards on top horizontally (flat). Mine are on the sides, so if I remove the top, I'm instantly looking at everything.

I've read that AB Systems or AB International suffered from looking very generic, and I think their name suffers in that way too. If you Google the names, you'll get an old website, and a newer one. There are a few amps on ebay as well.

I have been tempted to snag another 500D & try them as monoblocks, cost is not an issue, just hate hauling the monsters around. Also with these old things it's a matter of time before some near unobtanium part smokes & back to the bench or closet it goes.

I removed the 70/25 volt transformers from mine..... that's 12 pounds.

While I personally have not owned any BGW amps, I had a chance to hear a 750D and 250D hooked up to a pair of JBL speakers. I believe they were the JBL 250TI. They are slightly tapered on one side and a big speakers. The 750d was running the lows and the 250d was running the kids/highs. I didn't have a chance to listen long enough to form an opinion since I was meeting this person to do a trade. He basically introduced me to BGW amps and told me a little about their history and specs. The system sounded good, but nothing that stopped me in my tracks. Ever since I always wanted to try a 750 in my setup. Most amps are to beat up looking for me to want to get them. Also what is the difference between the 750d and the later series like the F, G, and H series?
Is the GTA in the same league sonically? Or is it a good subwoofer brute only? Thats the impression I'm getting. People complement the BGW's base control, but I've head baby amps that ruined the image by over shadowing the mids and his with their high damping factor base response. It was unbearable the low end was kind of putting a shade and demeaning all other frequencies. I'm hopping thats not BGW.

I will say my old 500D is quite a good dedicated sub amp, but I use it full range too. If looks had been a factor I would not have bought it, I think many a roadie tossed, kicked, puked on & otherwise abused it before I found it at a local music equipment store . Many of the old 500's and 750A's were used in movie theaters for the Sensurround effects back in the 70's. Mine was not equipped with the 70V transformers, still weighs 52 pounds.

The OP is referring to A&B Precedent or International. The pro amp company.

I personally own a BGW 500 and a AB 600LX and a 1100A.

IMO both companies make / made fine amps.

On the whole BGW is an older amp maker whereas AB units are generally newer. I believe AB are still in business but could be wrong.

Over on prosoundweb aged horse has written a great deal on AB as he once worked for them. Very bright guy.

Id say the AB are simply a newer and more refined and or sensitive amp. Also most of the high powered AB are rail switchers too. Rock solid in build and design. They often fly WELL under the radar of most are one of the best bang for the buck given so.
Made in the USA to boot.

Fine amps from both makers.

I was under the impression that "Precedent" was a line of amps? They even say "Precedent Series" on the front. AB Systems is the other name the company has used.

Still a better idea what was being discussed than before.

Chime in and clear the air for all ;)

Good info.

Thanks much

Last edited:
My current BGW inventory: 250C.250D,500D,750B, 7500 Proline II. I recapped the 750B a couple of years ago and it's in use today. I got the 250D dirt cheap and it needs repairs, BGW built the 7500 for me. All except the 250D are fully functional and great power amps. I worked for a BGW dealer in the 80's and they became my favorite power amps. Never heard of that other brand.

It's starting to sound like I need to both my amplifiers up and running!
When Googling for pictures of AB amps, I see many of them have toroidal transformers. Those must be the more recent offerings. I think my amp is quite early. It actually looks less modern to me than the BGW.

It's starting to sound like I need to both my amplifiers up and running!
When Googling for pictures of AB amps, I see many of them have toroidal transformers. Those must be the more recent offerings. I think my amp is quite early. It actually looks less modern to me than the BGW.

Oh yes. A&B had design changes along the way. Theres models with standard style power transformers and some with toroid.

Theres versions of my 1100a that use metal TO3 and newer ones like mine with plastic outputs.

When I bought my 600LX there were 2 at the house. I opened both up and was surprised to see 2 different versions. One had heat sinks on the driver transistors, different circuit boards on the area with the gain pots and lights so on....
I grabbed the newer one.

Heres some pics of the amp. Cant find the folder with pics of my 1100a.

Really impressive build quality IMO.

Attachments

• 20170817_174305.jpg
    20170817_174305.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170817_174313.jpg
    20170817_174313.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170817_174322.jpg
    20170817_174322.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170817_174332.jpg