Bi amp question

Ahh, yes, the Quad killers!

What a joke!

Did I ever tell you I don't like Quads? I think they are dynamically constricted, have no top or bottom end, and are failure prone.

Why don't you go crawl back under the rock you scuttled out under from.

Regards(sincerely)
Mister Pig

As most of you know the TPA3116 thread on AK has been a hot topic for over 3 years with thousands of happy owners. Now we have the mono subwoofer amp version with built in crossover.

I received mine today from China for the hefty sum of $12 and paired with a $11 24v psu I may get close to 75 watts into 4 ohms.

If this sub mono version performs like the standard TPA3116 I can expect very accurate bass and won't hesitate to use it to bi-amp the woofers on the bottom end of the Lowther open baffles.

Once I get it up and running Iook for my impressions on the TPA3116 and OB Epiphany threads.

Mono-TPA3116-font-b-Subwoofer-b-font-font-b-Amplifier-b-font-Board-Support-font-b.jpg

Has anyone mentioned, the XLS1002 has a built in crossover?

PureBand Crossover System:
  • Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave crossover filter
  • crossover frequency range: 50-3,000 Hz, with points every 1.5 octave centers
  • selectable filter types: low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass

Has anyone mentioned, the XLS1002 has a built in crossover?

PureBand Crossover System:
  • Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave crossover filter
  • crossover frequency range: 50-3,000 Hz, with points every 1.5 octave centers
  • selectable filter types: low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass

Yeah, about 16 posts back, specifically for that reason why the XLS DriveCore was suggested.

Running woofers in mono vs stereo makes little difference if any.
I disagree. It's one of those "audio myths". A mono subwoofer give you the bass, and it is non-directional. But two subs IMAGE: they put the bass-player stage left if that's where he is, and it puts the double-bass section of an orchestra on the right of the soundstage where it belongs. Mono bass is great for adding that solid deep foundation, but stereo bass opens some thrilling new dimensions.

You guys must have special recordings with bass done in stereo rather than mixed in mono? I don't think I have any.

You guys must have special recordings with bass done in stereo rather than mixed in mono?
I must. At least one — a live Ben Webster recording where the bass-player was center-stage rear... when I had one sub. When I got a second matching sub, the guy moved ten feet to stage-left.

Hey everyone
Got the Crown XLS1002 tonight and hooked it up. I am wondering if it's working properly. The reason I am wondering is because the input (green LED) is barely lit up at all unless I crank the amp or preamp gain. I have tried it on two (Sansui and Modwright) systems already. I have the Crown input sensitivity set to 0.775. I also tried the other Crown input gain setting as well.

I have to crank the Crown to max gain to hear the woofers at all. That does not seem right.

Am I missing some setup? I have been through the menus multiple times and have not found a reason why the gain needs to be cranked to hear anything from my woofers.

I have tried it with a Sansui AU-717 tapping off the pre out/powre amp in with a Y to feed the Crown. I have also tried it with a Modwright LS-100 using RCA (main 2 and main 3 out) This is with the other main out going to an MC 275 which is driving the coaxials.

Some sort of mismatch??

Thanks

BTW the LS 100 has a spec that says: Max output signal level: 37 Vrms. But unfortunately I can't turn the LS 100 up there as it will blast the MC275 to coax way too loud.

Last edited:
Do I need to boost the preamp output signal more before it gets to the Crown??? I thought that was what the variable input sensitivity was for on the crown.

I disagree. It's one of those "audio myths". A mono subwoofer give you the bass, and it is non-directional. But two subs IMAGE: they put the bass-player stage left if that's where he is, and it puts the double-bass section of an orchestra on the right of the soundstage where it belongs. Mono bass is great for adding that solid deep foundation, but stereo bass opens some thrilling new dimensions.

Doesn't it also depend on the frequency you're talking about? I don't think very low frequencies can't be localized.

Doesn't it also depend on the frequency you're talking about? I don't think very low frequencies can't be localized.
You're probably right, I'm no expert and I don't know. It seems logical that it's a sliding scale: the lower the frequency, the less localized.

But a lot of people say "Anything under 100Hz can't be localized" — that's the whole logic behind the mono-sub and the common 100Hz xover point — and I know that's wrong because I can hear it clearly with stereo subs — but I don't know the exact point at which I can hear it.

We could determine that point with a frequency generator — I don't have one — but there must be tons of research on it. A simple google search. It probably also differs from person to person, and age may be a factor as it is with high frequencies...

You're probably right, I'm no expert and I don't know. It seems logical that it's a sliding scale: the lower the frequency, the less localized.

But a lot of people say "Anything under 100Hz can't be localized" — that's the whole logic behind the mono-sub and the common 100Hz xover point — and I know that's wrong because I can hear it clearly with stereo subs — but I don't know the exact point at which I can hear it.

We could determine that point with a frequency generator — I don't have one — but there must be tons of research on it. A simple google search. It probably also differs from person to person, and age may be a factor as it is with high frequencies...

I think 100Hz is too high a crossover point and can be localized. I usually crossover around 50-70Hz depending upon what mains I'm using. Keep in mind that there is still some output above the crossover point.

I think 100Hz is too high a crossover point and can be localized. I usually crossover around 50-70Hz depending upon what mains I'm using. Keep in mind that there is still some output above the crossover point.

Agreed. I think most people can localize to about 80Hz.

As well, bear in mind the filters are not brick wall. Frequencies above the low pass point are reproduced. How much/how strongly depends on the order/slope of the filter.

IOW, sub with 12dB/oct, 80Hz LPF would stand out more than one with 24dB/oct, 80Hz LPF, all other things equal because the 12dB/oct filter allows more signal around and above 80Hz to come though.

Back
Top Bottom