Bi-Amping RTi-A9s

MusicinOz

Greetings from Kansas, I will be taking delivery of some Polk RTi-A9s this Tuesday. I will be powering them with a couple Luxman M-120A amps in BTL for 300 watts. Am curious about Bi-Amping them. I may be in possession of a Luxman M-02 soon and was wondering if I could use the M-120A amps for the woofers and the M-02 in stereo mode @ 150 watts for the tweeter/mid array. This is a new thing for me (bi-amping) and don't want to ruin the sound, or worse, ruin the speakers. With the wealth of knowledge on this site I figure somebody can give me some much needed guidance.

I doubt you'll ruin the speakers but as for any appreciable improvement in sound in a passive (no active crossover) implementation, only you can decide. Now, if you were to employ an active crossover, you might be able to discern a difference but as to whether it's simply a change or an improvement, that's up to your ears to decide. After all, you'll be able to control the crossover frequency and levels so it's up to you how you set it.

I've had these for a while.
If you remove the jumpers on the binding posts you can easily bi amp.
What it gains you, I don't know .
Play around with it and let us know.
As long as your pre has double outputs you can use 2 amps (per speaker )
Matching output might be trickier unless amp outputs match or you have some way of adjusting one or both output levels

I doubt you'll ruin the speakers but as for any appreciable improvement in sound in a passive (no active crossover) implementation, only you can decide. Now, if you were to employ an active crossover, you might be able to discern a difference but as to whether it's simply a change or an improvement, that's up to your ears to decide. After all, you'll be able to control the crossover frequency and levels so it's up to you how you set it.

Thank you the skipper. Sounds like it may not be worth the cost and effort.

I've had these for a while.
If you remove the jumpers on the binding posts you can easily bi amp.
What it gains you, I don't know .
Play around with it and let us know.
As long as your pre has double outputs you can use 2 amps (per speaker )
Matching output might be trickier unless amp outputs match or you have some way of adjusting one or both output levels

Thanks nj pheonix. The Luxmans do have volume controls, but it sounds like it is a bit tricky to match everything up properly. Will have to think on this decision. Curious as to how many watts you are feeding your speakers, and if you think 300 will be enough to bring these big speakers alive.

The system will have greater maximum effective power using the single 300 w amplifier in normal single wiring than would be the case when using a lower power amplifier for the mid/upper drivers with the more powerful unit dedicated to the LF. Sometimes less is more.

Nice speakers. :thumbsup:

I have driven them with as little as 3.5w to reasonably loud levels (Don't think live concert, party levels.)
I have easily driven them with everything from 25wpc to 350wpc.
They're pretty efficient.
Not sure how large a space you use them in or loud you listen but 25wpc has gotten them loud enough for me.
300wpc should be more than adequate

Why is audiophilia nervosa (my term) now so widespread that, not to pick on the OP, a person who purchases a brand new pair of $1000 tower speakers wonders, before even hearing them, whether three hundred watts will be sufficient, and also wonders whether he should redesign the speakers by bi-amping them, and moreover, consider using a method (so-called 'passive bi-amping') that should instead be widely known as a kludge?

Can we blame Facebook?

@MusicinOz, enjoy your new speakers for awhile, bare-bones stock! :)

The system will have greater maximum effective power using the single 300 w amplifier in normal single wiring than would be the case when using a lower power amplifier for the mid/upper drivers with the more powerful unit dedicated to the LF. Sometimes less is more.

Nice speakers. :thumbsup:

Thanks 62Caddy, looking forward to getting them. Will be powering them with a Yamaha CR-2040 till the Luxman amps come back from the shop, they are getting a full re-cap currently. Anxious to hear them sing.

Why is audiophilia nervosa (my term) now so widespread that, not to pick on the OP, a person who purchases a brand new pair of $1000 tower speakers wonders, before even hearing them, whether three hundred watts will be sufficient, and also wonders whether he should redesign the speakers by bi-amping them, and moreover, consider using a method (so-called 'passive bi-amping') that should instead be widely known as a kludge?

Can we blame Facebook?

@MusicinOz, enjoy your new speakers for awhile, bare-bones stock! :)

"audiophilia nervosa", that's funny squisavior, gave me a chuckle. Sadly, living in Topeka, Kansas I didn't really have anywhere to go audition them. Have spent countless hours over the last six weeks reading everything I could find on these speakers, and decided to take a leap of faith based on what I gleaned from the research. As far as bi-amping, that is a totally new thing for me which is why I came here for advice. Now I know it is a waste of time based on the replies, and will just enjoy them with the 300 watts I have.
BTW, I blame Facebook for many things, lol.

Thanks, MusicinOz

There is always a lot of confusion in advice about bi-amping and a lot of erroneous misconceptions about active v.s. passive bi-amping in these threads... excellent speaker designers have used each, or both. Neither is superior.

After 40 years messing with audio gear in a lot of different configurations, my advice is to try it ..
Often there is a very noticeable improvement in a passively bi-amped system that is due to audible characteristics of the amps, and synergies between the drivers and the amp used.
In your case, there is no extra expense since all you need is an extra set of speaker cables..
Remove the straps between the upper and lower ranges of the speakers, hook it up and listen ..oh, and use the volume control on the one of the amps to balance the high and low ranges.
Don't be surprised if it sounds a lot more dynamic with a noticeable improvement in upper mid-range clarity ..

And I wouldn't presume to answer the reasons for the clarity improvement. It's consistent and audible..
I always posited that it's probably related to amplifier loading and audible characteristics of the amp's load.

Oh, I just looked the amps up and noted that they can be bridged so you could set them up bridged in dual mono .. In which case you may hear an improvement in the soundstage and dynamics (esp. the bass) but you'll run the run the risk of potential tonal deterioration due to bridging and the amp's response to the load that the speaker presents in bridged mode.. Experiment and listen critically. You'll definitely hear a difference.. then leave it however it sounds best to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom