Bi-wiring an AU317

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by mjwraw, Feb 21, 2017.

1. mjwraw

mjwraw Active Member

Not withstanding the arguments around whether it makes any positive sonic difference or not, is there any physical reason why setting up an AU317 like the diagram below would be a bad idea (in other words, might it break anything ?):
    BiwireBiamp.jpg
    The speakers are rated at 6 Ohms.
    Thanks

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Depends if A+B speaker setting is series or parallel.

Connect the speakers only to A, play some some music, then select A+B. If you still get sound then it will be fine (although of no benefit vs. connecting both pair of wires to A only, other than more connection points).

If you don't get sound in A+B in the above test, then the connections you show will not work properly. In that case you'd connect both pair of wires to A only.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. mjwraw

mjwraw Active Member

Understood, I'll give that a try, thanks

4. mjwraw

mjwraw Active Member

Well been running this setup for about three weeks now, seems to be working absolutely fine, no idea if it's made any sonic difference though..............

5. Kale

Kale Super Member

If you connect yours speakers like on yours picture, you will get the next situation:
    - If you select Speakers system A on AU317 speakers selector: you will get bass unit sound
    - If you select Speakers system B on AU317 speakers selector: you will get tweeter unit sound
    - If you select Speakers system A+B on AU317 speakers selector: you will get complete speakers sound

By doing connection from yours amplifiers to yours speakers like on yours picture, you can test different speakers cables for specific sound rangeā€¦.

6. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Active Member

I too am curious about trying the bi-wiring output on some speakers. I do not own and bi-ampable speakers but I have been looking into getting some if there is any benefit. My amp is an AU-517.