Bic Venturi speakers

I have a pair of Formula 4 BICs in my garage. They are a good sounding speakers, I wish they were Formula 6 models for better bass. I can't complain as I got mine off the curb and they are hooked-up to a mid 80's Technics receiver also found on a curb. Nothing sounds better then "free" audio. :D I can scan some more information from an old BA catalog if you need it, just let me know.

My first "real" speakers were a used pair of Formula 6 I bought back in '85 for $100. Spent $70 replacing the upper bass and midrange horn. Too bad the speaker grilles were made of foam that shed like a dog. I seem to remember they were very efficient.

FWIW Some company recently bought the BIC Venturi name and put out some relatively conventional speakers. Nothing like the old BIC press releases that sounded like a watered down version of the Bose wave radio mumbo jumbo.

What? I haven't heard that BIC America had been sold/changed hands. They have been fairly successful. I know they had bought the rights to the rTr brandname.
I will need to investigate this.

Thanks, Don!

I really appreciate that info!
I had picked up some of the current BIC America's rTr branded speaker systems for the HT. Pretty decent speakers. Since I went with all Yamaha speaker systems for the HT, I've given one pair of the rTr 123 to my bro & sis-in-law (along with a Yamaha CR-1040, and Sansui cassette deck and a Sony cdplayer), and right now a pair stacked on the orig Advent, driven by my Nikko NR-1015. Both my other pairs of Advent's need new foams.

I have a set of five and love them. I have the DV62s Front & Center, and DV52s for surrounds. The Fronts & Center had a crossover modification done by Ed Frias. They are great sounding speakers - and very reasonably priced. The DV62s always show up as a best buy and/or highly rated by Consumer Reports (not that I put a lot of stock in their speaker ratings though). The speakers come with a 7 year warranty also.

I also have a small pair of RTRs that I use with my computer. I'm happy with them too.

JDaniel

Back
Top Bottom