Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

What miyata frame set is that, Is it there early TI frame? Miyata, was ahead of the curve for a while, and tried lots of unique materials.

The miyata I posted has a rear steel triangle, with an aluminum front. Miyata is probably the one brand that experimented the most with the available materials used in today's common frame designs.

That bike is really cool. Why did the manufactures, ever feel the need to go past a 7 speed cassette? I was pissed when they went to 8, was pissed again when they went to 9, and I don't even know if they they went to 10 yet. But I'm sure one day they will piss me off again.
I don't know why actually , I love Miata frames . wait till you see the Miata frame I'm working on right now , The seat post is stuck in the tube , its a bitch . I think I have to drill it out :tears: dude your bikes are real nice

Here's my 1999? Litespeed-built Eddy Merckx titanium AX

2837916865_c862ee2939_b.jpg

This is the second bike I've built up from a frame. Not really a "restoration". More of a retro-modern build.

I have a thing for British bikes. Eventually I'd like to find a nice one to restore properly (Jack Taylor, Hetchins, Ephgrave, etc...). I picked up this 1982 Mercian Vincitore on ebay a few years ago. As you can see by the Salsa stem period correctness was not the first priority with this one. Parts are a weird mix of Shimano, Suntour, and Campagnolo. It came that way for the most part.

1780312738_115975f968_o.jpg

Here's my Davidson Impulse. It's on its third rear wheel since I bought it (the last one built by yours truly). I love this bike to death. It has a bad spray paint job thanks to its previous owner, which will at some point be corrected. It was apparently somebody's "beater". I swapped out the junky saddle, seatpost, stem, and bars for better/lighter stuff. The tires are crap, but I'm trying to work though all my parts bin tires before buying new ones.

3783404817_34479d8ac2_b.jpg
love the bikes and the backgrounds, great pics

I think this is a first gen Bianchi ATB...

Rescued the frame from CL and built up an all-rounder.

Attachments

• bianchi23.1.jpg
    bianchi23.1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 110
  • bianchi24.jpg
    bianchi24.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 65
i recall the days of the klein oversize aluminum road frame with the ultra smooth welds and the jaw dropping price tags-- $3000.00 for finished bike!! nowadays, that'll barely crack the door open for a race rig, and a set of race wheels can easily be that, if not more....

Hey Guy's here is my daughters Univega that she built from scratch, all Phil Wood.
CIMG5806.jpg
CIMG5808.jpg
P1030566.jpg
P1030589.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice bikes everyone!

Earlier this year, I went out to Colorado to learn how to build bicycle frames with master Koichi Yamaguchi. Needless to say, it was a total blast. I'm hooked on frame building and I've gone so far as tracking down the complete Campagnolo professional tool kit (the one in the wooden box), NOS Columbus SL tubing and a few other goodies. Now I just have to get a torch and a surface plate and I am good to go!

I made a whole thread dedicated to this bike last month, you can read more about it here.

I've got a few other bikes laying around, a Lighthouse by Tim Neenan, Tommasini Prestige, Atala Special, Joe Bringhelli, Viner Special Professional, '87 Cannondale Crit, Cilo, Concorde, and, as of today, a Recherche built by Dave Moulton (number 41 out of about 200!). I passed a Nishiki aluminum Triathlon bike with a Mondrian paint job on to my brother who rode it faithfully for two years before got hit by a car. I wanted him to keep riding so replaced that bike with a Basso with SLX tubing. ;)

Even though I want to focus on custom frame building, I won't ever stop collecting hand built bicycle frames. I have a huge appreciation for cycling, and riding a bike that another person has made is to peer into their mind. It is really fun to look down the seat tube, or turn the frame upside down and see how somebody decided to finish or alter the design. You can learn a lot about the builder by examining a frame up close...

Keep riding!

Attachments

• tumblr_kugw89Iic21qz7lxvo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_kugw89Iic21qz7lxvo1_400.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DogS1xnqOqj4izumxFQ7myEbo1_400.jpg
    DogS1xnqOqj4izumxFQ7myEbo1_400.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 6211_593218493465_24400053_34726476_7017543_n.jpg
    6211_593218493465_24400053_34726476_7017543_n.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 82
candle-that's one tall daughter you have, and she built a nice ride.

prof-- your custom frame, and your collection of bikes, is awesome....thnx for posting

$6.97 thrift store buy

Here is a picture of my first attempt to build a fixed gear bike. its a early 70's Jeunet with Reynolds double butted 531 frame,simplex chrome dropouts, normandy comp large flange hubs, stronglight headset, t. a. crank set, mafic brakes, ta water bottle 52 x 17 gear. bought bike in thrift store for $6.97 saddle is CYCSAD (NEVER SEEN BEFORE). PART ALL CAME ON BIKE EXCEPT FOR TIRES AND TUBES AND NEW BEARINGS & SEATPOST
1st pic $6.97 @ thrift store
2nd pic 1st attempt and named it ReCYCLE
3rd pic added brooks seat, cut down bars and fenders
had a lots of fun and i still have it

Attachments

• stevelloyd3.jpg
    stevelloyd3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 94
  • stevelloyd.jpg
    stevelloyd.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 81
  • stevelloyd2.jpg
    stevelloyd2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81
Here is another banshee I did. Old Bones sometimes need suspension.

I use the Michelin tires a lot, because they shed mud and water better than any other I have tried.

Sorry guys, for posting so much in this thread.... Bikes and audio are my true passions. I probably pedaled as many miles, as hours spent listening to my stereo.

I love that build. Especially the Deemaxxes!

this is what ive been working on all this fall...its why i havent been on AK for a few months.

2009 norco sasquatch (Freeride hardtail)
Fox 32 float RL fork
Single track rims
Full SRAM X-9 DT

Not a bad All-mountain rig weighing in at 27lbs.

Attachments

• pbpic4265519 (1).jpg
    pbpic4265519 (1).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 52
candle-that's one tall daughter you have, and she built a nice ride.

prof-- your custom frame, and your collection of bikes, is awesome....thnx for posting
thanks man , I appreciate that , I will post some pics of her building in our home DIY shop when she get's home as they are on her lap top. Here is a slide show of a RUST/Resto Job we did, it's a 70' s Gitane , it was solid rust , restored it back to 98% original

I love that build. Especially the Deemaxxes!

Nice Bike , ever heard of a proflex ? I restored one of those a while back , it was a nice MTB , nothing like yours, nice build , thanks for posting :thmbsp:

Here is a picture of my first attempt to build a fixed gear bike. its a early 70's Jeunet with Reynolds double butted 531 frame,simplex chrome dropouts, normandy comp large flange hubs, stronglight headset, t. a. crank set, mafic brakes, ta water bottle 52 x 17 gear. bought bike in thrift store for $6.97 saddle is CYCSAD (NEVER SEEN BEFORE). PART ALL CAME ON BIKE EXCEPT FOR TIRES AND TUBES AND NEW BEARINGS & SEATPOST
1st pic $6.97 @ thrift store
2nd pic 1st attempt and named it ReCYCLE
3rd pic added brooks seat, cut down bars and fenders
had a lots of fun and i still have it

OMG 7 bucks , its getting so hard now to find old steel bikes now in Portland , great score !

Back
Top Bottom