Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by ecandle, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow....NICE time-machine bike !!! I see that the frame is Tange (the Japanese equivalent of Reynolds 531), and I dig that radically-sloping fork crown. Is that a sealed-bearing headset ? What are the other components comprised of ? Clinchers or sew-ups ? Also appears that there`s a pump peg brazed onto the back side of the head tube ?
    That bike is way cool !

2. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

Picked up a Alpine Designs Fly Mountain Bike today, pretty lightweight, can't find anything about it. Will post pictures tomorrow. Anyone have information on Alpine Designs bikes?

3. Frankie's Market

Added some pics, I could not find any info either on the frame or Google about Alpine Designs bikes. Anyone have a clue? Thanks, Ed AD bike.jpg AD 4130.jpg AD chain.jpg AD fly stem.jpg AD head logo.jpg

SilverNerd and Beatnik like this.
  4. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

5. Frankie's Market

Yeah, small frame, I'm 6', not sure what I will do besides clean it up and possibly try a longer seat tube? Not so much a mountain biker, I prefer roads. Once the weather clears up and I have a little time to play with it I'll see if it is a keeper. I wonder if the company is still around and what the history of the company is?

6. BernardoK

BernardoK New Member

EB3260CE-F801-48CA-998F-67ED6948550F.jpg Memories of the BikeCentennial rode across the U.S. the summer of 1976. Made the entire 4200 mile ride with full panniers and only 1 flat tire!

ilusndweller and Dynacophil like this.
  7. albowlly

albowlly AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

I picked this jewel up last week for $50. It's a "slightly" roached '57 Schwinn Panther. Since this initial picture I've disassembled and sandblasted the rims and fenders. I have primed, painted, and respoked the rims. I'll clean and re-pack the bearings this week. My intentions are to get it mechanically sound but retain as much patina as possible. It's possible the tank will turn up in the crap crammed into the garage in which it was found.

ilusndweller likes this.
  8. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0953.JPG

now that spring is here, this might come in handy.

9. K_50

K_50 Active Member

I just converted my '95 Sunn Vertik 2 to a single speed. It still needs a trip to the mechanic to get the setup just right, but overall I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding this Battaglin road bike for the last couple of seasons, returning to the Sunn is definitely going to take some getting used to ( the much stiffer frame, and longer wheelbase makes for a harder, less agile ride). I sold it last year because the 52cm. frame was too small for me in the long run, so I'm casually on the lookout for something similar in a 54 or 56.

[​IMG]

ilusndweller likes this.
  10. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm toying with the idea of adding electric assist to my Townie Euro 8i 700C comfort.commuter bike for the hills. I'd need a skinny front wheel pancake motor to start. Then there's the front brake to figure out. It has great Shimano roller brakes. I've heard some electrics have regen breaking, but I'm not sure if that would be enough stopping power to quickly haul down my 275 lb bulk. I might be able to use the headlight mounting hole in the fork for the original headlight for a side pull. Any input is appreciated.

[​IMG]

11. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

April 1st Vintage Bike Restoration

P1020052.jpg

Attached Files:

MaxxVolume and Dynacophil like this.
  12. albowlly

albowlly AK Subscriber Subscriber

I took my first ride today
    [​IMG]

truck99 and MaxxVolume like this.
  13. K_50

K_50 Active Member

I just started my first complete restoration/rebuild projekt.
    The lucky recipient of my loving attention (or unfortunate victim, depending on the outcome) is my '96 Sunn BMX cruiser. I bought it some 10 years ago intending to get it up and running, but soon after moved out on my own, didn't have the room to work on it, kind of forgot I had it etc. So it has been sitting in my mum's basement until a few days ago when I finally got around to getting it out of there.

The starting point (apparently the previous got caught up in the early noughties freestyle-craze, and added the pegs and gyro headset, which imo don't belong on this type of bike)
    [​IMG]

All broken down
    [​IMG]

Gunky bearings all around
    [​IMG]

Initial clean-up started
    [​IMG]

The good news is that the breakdown went smoothly - no stripped threads, overly rusted or stuck parts, or any other nasty stuff. So except for the chain, brakes, tyres, grips, and freewheel, I think I'll be able to reuse everything.
    The bad news is that the black chrome is pretty far gone. It's full of scratches, and worn down to the nickel in several places. So unless I get it painted or rechromed, i will never look pretty again [​IMG]

To be continued...

14. K_50

K_50 Active Member

The BMX frame cleaned and waxed. It's still not pretty, but at least it's shiny and protected from rust.

[​IMG]

Various bit and pieces degreased, and laid out to dry:

[​IMG]

The rest of the parts will be getting a citric acid bath, and then the real fun (ordeing new parts, and reassembling) can begin [​IMG]

Dynacophil likes this.
  15. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

My 1972 Italvega Super Speciale road bike, owned since high school, restored and recently ridden in the Eroica California vintage event in Paso Robles, early April. Had a blast! Using 700C x 35 tires, a bit large but very comfortable, especially on the gravel roads and up to 10% hills that made up 1/4 of the 40 mile route that I rode. The event also had 57 mile, 87 mile, and the heroic 127 mile route through the Paso Robles hillsides, wineries, and out to the ocean coast near Cambria and Cayucos before turning back inland.
    [​IMG]

Me on the left, my brother-in-law on the right, at the starting area, 8:30am, only 43 degrees! Couldn't feel my fingers for the first mile or two.

[​IMG]

16. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

^^^ That Italvega is sweet. I like the chrome, drillium Campy, and large tires. :thumbsup:

I recently picked up a new project. It's a 1975-76 Raleigh Super Course MKII. It was hiding out in a super vague CL ad for a bunch of Columbia 3 speeds. The price was rediculously low. It's missing the Brooks saddle and has a bit of patina, but is in great shape overall.
    Currently it's torn down to the frame, it's been washed and polished and the bottom bracket and headset have been cleaned and relubed. I plan on keeping it pretty much stock, replacing the consumables. I have a nice ideale 90 leather saddle that should match the French components the bike came with.

Picture as found:
    IMG_20170501_113038742.jpg

Pictures of bike torn down and cleaned up.
    IMG_20170504_110821439.jpg
    IMG_20170504_111811812.jpg

I'll post some pics when I'm finished in a week or two.

17. bikehomero

bikehomero Active Member

My TREK Domane just got a new saddle with initials crest.

DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0582.JPG

18. A/D/Slover

A/D/Slover Active Member

This is is very fresh interest after I bought a trek Elance for20$ and flipped for 380. Was way too small but very nice. Then it all started. Picked up 2 nishikis a last week at thrift spot they were locking them up as I was walking out. Perfect timing. Never even ridin. Still fresh nubbies on tires. And my latest 1980? Stingray? Any and all comments appreciated. Lastly my keeper a slick looking centurion

Attached Files:

19. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

At A/D/Slover: Nice clean Nishikis. Look to be a opening price point level, but still real nice. I say that as I repaired bikes in the '70s and it seemed the opening price points always had the dual brake levers. My roommate in college had a nice Centurion. A real under valued bike that has a great ride.

20. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Start a conversation, mech986. I have a friend in Oak Ridge, TN who has a bike shop, he has a big selection of vintage parts.