Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by ecandle, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

I hope so! been wanting to get a Centurion or something similar for quite awhile. Any suggestions?

2. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad Subscriber

My first is that you read this entire thread, where you'll learn about plenty of fine suggestions. ;)

3. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

You might consider Classic Rendezvous

4. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are a lot of nice Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's. I repaired bikes when I was in college. Cheaper bikes always seemed to have the secondary brake controls and ring protector on the crank gears. So many to choose, Fuji(Still have my '72 Finest), Miyata, Nishiki, Panasonic, Centurian etc. Here's a link to start off on: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/japan.html

I would read up on the different models and look for a nice double butted steel frame for starters.

5. Frankie's Market

Danddd, thanks for the advice and the link, time to read up and see what I can find!

6. ecandle

ecandle AK Subscriber Subscriber

20131110_080545.jpg 20131110_080550.jpg 20131110_080552.jpg 20131110_080556.jpg 20131110_080545.jpg

Attached Files:

7. ecandle

ecandle AK Subscriber Subscriber

Centurion barn find love

MaxxVolume likes this.
  8. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Wow....NICE time-machine bike !!! I see that the frame is Tange (the Japanese equivalent of Reynolds 531), and I dig that radically-sloping fork crown. Is that a sealed-bearing headset ? What are the other components comprised of ? Clinchers or sew-ups ? Also appears that there`s a pump peg brazed onto the back side of the head tube ?
    That bike is way cool !

9. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

That was from the time when I was most into cycling, mid/late 80s. I remember those, for sure. You just inspired me to go dig out my future fixie and snap a pic.

10. ilusndweller

Here is my future single speed bike (it will have a kick brake). Columbus SL tubing, purchased from Colorado Cyclist in 86. The components that are on my black dale in a previous post came from this bike. If you look at the top tube you will see a dent (from a crash in a race). I purchased the black dale frame on the bay bc the dent was bothering me (in cosmetics only) and knowing that the ciocc would be my future single speed bike. That was about 12 years ago lol. Headset is stronglight delta needle bearing. IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2139.JPG

MaxxVolume likes this.
  11. Frankie's Market

Picked up a Alpine Designs Fly Mountain Bike today, pretty lightweight, can't find anything about it. Will post pictures tomorrow. Anyone have information on Alpine Designs bikes?

12. Frankie's Market

Added some pics, I could not find any info either on the frame or Google about Alpine Designs bikes. Anyone have a clue? Thanks, Ed AD bike.jpg AD 4130.jpg AD chain.jpg AD fly stem.jpg AD head logo.jpg

Beatnik likes this.
  13. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

14. Frankie's Market

Yeah, small frame, I'm 6', not sure what I will do besides clean it up and possibly try a longer seat tube? Not so much a mountain biker, I prefer roads. Once the weather clears up and I have a little time to play with it I'll see if it is a keeper. I wonder if the company is still around and what the history of the company is?

15. BernardoK

BernardoK New Member

EB3260CE-F801-48CA-998F-67ED6948550F.jpg Memories of the BikeCentennial rode across the U.S. the summer of 1976. Made the entire 4200 mile ride with full panniers and only 1 flat tire!

ilusndweller and Dynacophil like this.
  16. ilusndweller

Heck yeah, I remember seeing that trip in the catalog! I did a Bikecentennial tour summer 92. Missoula, Montana to Jasper Park Canada(800 miles, 26 days if memory serves) . Super, super sweet and good times for sure. After the trip I went to snobowl ski area in Missoula where they take your bike up the lift and thought I was following black lab down a trail until mama bear appeared. IMG_2335.JPG IMG_2337.JPG

BernardoK likes this.
  17. albowlly

albowlly AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

I picked this jewel up last week for $50. It's a "slightly" roached '57 Schwinn Panther. Since this initial picture I've disassembled and sandblasted the rims and fenders. I have primed, painted, and respoked the rims. I'll clean and re-pack the bearings this week. My intentions are to get it mechanically sound but retain as much patina as possible. It's possible the tank will turn up in the crap crammed into the garage in which it was found.

ilusndweller likes this.
  18. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0953.JPG

now that spring is here, this might come in handy.

19. K_50

K_50 Active Member

I just converted my '95 Sunn Vertik 2 to a single speed. It still needs a trip to the mechanic to get the setup just right, but overall I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding this Battaglin road bike for the last couple of seasons, returning to the Sunn is definitely going to take some getting used to ( the much stiffer frame, and longer wheelbase makes for a harder, less agile ride). I sold it last year because the 52cm. frame was too small for me in the long run, so I'm casually on the lookout for something similar in a 54 or 56.

[​IMG]

ilusndweller likes this.
  20. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

I'm toying with the idea of adding electric assist to my Townie Euro 8i 700C comfort.commuter bike for the hills. I'd need a skinny front wheel pancake motor to start. Then there's the front brake to figure out. It has great Shimano roller brakes. I've heard some electrics have regen breaking, but I'm not sure if that would be enough stopping power to quickly haul down my 275 lb bulk. I might be able to use the headlight mounting hole in the fork for the original headlight for a side pull. Any input is appreciated.

[​IMG]