Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by ecandle, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

April 1st Vintage Bike Restoration

P1020052.jpg

Attached Files:

MaxxVolume and Dynacophil like this.
  2. albowlly

albowlly AK Subscriber Subscriber

I took my first ride today
    [​IMG]

truck99 and MaxxVolume like this.
  3. K_50

K_50 Active Member

I just started my first complete restoration/rebuild projekt.
    The lucky recipient of my loving attention (or unfortunate victim, depending on the outcome) is my '96 Sunn BMX cruiser. I bought it some 10 years ago intending to get it up and running, but soon after moved out on my own, didn't have the room to work on it, kind of forgot I had it etc. So it has been sitting in my mum's basement until a few days ago when I finally got around to getting it out of there.

The starting point (apparently the previous got caught up in the early noughties freestyle-craze, and added the pegs and gyro headset, which imo don't belong on this type of bike)
    [​IMG]

All broken down
    [​IMG]

Gunky bearings all around
    [​IMG]

Initial clean-up started
    [​IMG]

The good news is that the breakdown went smoothly - no stripped threads, overly rusted or stuck parts, or any other nasty stuff. So except for the chain, brakes, tyres, grips, and freewheel, I think I'll be able to reuse everything.
    The bad news is that the black chrome is pretty far gone. It's full of scratches, and worn down to the nickel in several places. So unless I get it painted or rechromed, i will never look pretty again [​IMG]

To be continued...

4. K_50

K_50 Active Member

The BMX frame cleaned and waxed. It's still not pretty, but at least it's shiny and protected from rust.

[​IMG]

Various bit and pieces degreased, and laid out to dry:

[​IMG]

The rest of the parts will be getting a citric acid bath, and then the real fun (ordeing new parts, and reassembling) can begin [​IMG]

Dynacophil likes this.
  5. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

My 1972 Italvega Super Speciale road bike, owned since high school, restored and recently ridden in the Eroica California vintage event in Paso Robles, early April. Had a blast! Using 700C x 35 tires, a bit large but very comfortable, especially on the gravel roads and up to 10% hills that made up 1/4 of the 40 mile route that I rode. The event also had 57 mile, 87 mile, and the heroic 127 mile route through the Paso Robles hillsides, wineries, and out to the ocean coast near Cambria and Cayucos before turning back inland.
    [​IMG]

Me on the left, my brother-in-law on the right, at the starting area, 8:30am, only 43 degrees! Couldn't feel my fingers for the first mile or two.

[​IMG]

6. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

^^^ That Italvega is sweet. I like the chrome, drillium Campy, and large tires. :thumbsup:

I recently picked up a new project. It's a 1975-76 Raleigh Super Course MKII. It was hiding out in a super vague CL ad for a bunch of Columbia 3 speeds. The price was rediculously low. It's missing the Brooks saddle and has a bit of patina, but is in great shape overall.
    Currently it's torn down to the frame, it's been washed and polished and the bottom bracket and headset have been cleaned and relubed. I plan on keeping it pretty much stock, replacing the consumables. I have a nice ideale 90 leather saddle that should match the French components the bike came with.

Picture as found:
    IMG_20170501_113038742.jpg

Pictures of bike torn down and cleaned up.
    IMG_20170504_110821439.jpg
    IMG_20170504_111811812.jpg

I'll post some pics when I'm finished in a week or two.

7. bikehomero

bikehomero Active Member

My TREK Domane just got a new saddle with initials crest.

DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0582.JPG

8. A/D/Slover

A/D/Slover Active Member

This is is very fresh interest after I bought a trek Elance for20$ and flipped for 380. Was way too small but very nice. Then it all started. Picked up 2 nishikis a last week at thrift spot they were locking them up as I was walking out. Perfect timing. Never even ridin. Still fresh nubbies on tires. And my latest 1980? Stingray? Any and all comments appreciated. Lastly my keeper a slick looking centurion

Attached Files:

9. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

At A/D/Slover: Nice clean Nishikis. Look to be a opening price point level, but still real nice. I say that as I repaired bikes in the '70s and it seemed the opening price points always had the dual brake levers. My roommate in college had a nice Centurion. A real under valued bike that has a great ride.

10. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Start a conversation, mech986. I have a friend in Oak Ridge, TN who has a bike shop, he has a big selection of vintage parts.

11. A/D/Slover

A/D/Slover Active Member

So addictive. Or I'm an addict

Attached Files:

12. K_50

K_50 Active Member

Citric acid is the shit!
    Here are the BMX bars/fork/crank/seatpost after an overnight soak, and maybe 10 minutes worth of very casual effort with a soft brush and a scrubby sponge:

[​IMG]

I've also got a bunch of new parts on order, so I should be able to put it back together whithin the next week [​IMG]

MaxxVolume likes this.
  13. K_50

K_50 Active Member

Partially reassembled:

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for the new freewheel to arrive. And the wheels need a trip to the shop for trueing, and having a few spokes replaced before I can finish it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MaxxVolume and Dynacophil like this.
  14. K_50

K_50 Active Member

Almost done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready for beer runs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MaxxVolume likes this.
  15. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Sano!

16. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

mt bike.jpg can anyone help identify this bike? Seller said " originally purchased in Thailand, not currently in working order. I do not know how to size it but the rims are 22 1/2 inches in diameter" The good news is I can get it for cheap, the bad news is that it is a 90 minute drive. Any of you folks have any leads on what it might be? Thanks, Ed

17. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

There is a Spectrum Cycle co, but they are out of Pennsylvania and use titanium frames. This Spectrums bike looks like an opening price point bike. This needs quite a bit of cleaning up, lubing and probably some brake parts. Rear derailleur looks pretty rusty. I like working on bikes, but I'd pass on this.

18. likebike23

I'm in agreement with Danddd. That is definitely a low tier bike that might have been at a department or big box store back in the 90's. As for the size, 22 1/2" is not a wheel size at all, not that sizing a bike has anything to do with wheel size. It is either has 24" or 26" wheels. An adult would ride 26", a preteen to 13 might ride a 24". Within those wheel sizes should be differing frame sizes which would be used to accommodate different sized riders.

Looking at the picture, I'll tell you why I see nothing worth my time. First off is condition, it has obvious rust and faded paint which indicates it was left outside for extended periods. Second, the rear derailleur is of the claw mount type which indicates that the components are of lower quality. Third, the seat is jammed way to low which indicates it's a kid's bike and was probably cheap and poorly taken care of. Fourth, the rear derailleur has a guard installed over it which also is indicative of a kid's bike.
    So, looking at all of this, I would conclude that it is pretty likely that this is a cheap 24" wheeled bike for a preteen and it's beat to boot. Pass all the way.

19. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

Good info guys, thanks for the input!

20. likebike23

Got out my old school mountain bike today and got it ready for a camping trip this weekend in NH's White Mountains. I bought it from a single speed flipper a few years ago and it was a mess. The only parts that I used were the frame and front derailleur, the rest of the parts were from my bin.

His ad was for two different bikes. This was the second pic and was not featured. He described it as a bronze frame :rflmao:. Needless to say, I got it for a song :cool:.
    IMG_20170720_192017517.jpg
    IMG_20170720_192056757.jpg
    IMG_20170720_192045590.jpg